spark plugs, wires, distro, I think I got my timing off or something by TnTyler
Started on: 03-05-2006 09:23 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: carnut122 on 03-06-2006 07:06 PM
TnTyler

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TnTylerSend a Private Message to TnTylerDirect Link to This Post
ok, can someone give me a diogram of what each wire from the dirst to plug is plugged in.
all I know is that the firing order is 123456, thats all, I think I have one plug hocked up to the wrong plug.
my enigne has little power.

Also,
will me getting a new egr calve fix my hourspower need???

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
#1 is the rear passenger side most, #2 front pass side, #3 rear middle, #4 front middle, #5 rear drivers side, #6 front drivers side
The easiest way to determine which pole on the distributor is #1 is to turn the harmonic balancer until the big mark is on 0, then see which pole the rotor is pointing twards. Wire it. If it does not run, then switch all the wires with the opposite side IE #1 to #4 #2 to #5 and #3 to #6 on the distributor, this will rotate the firing order 180*
The EGR valve will have no effect on peak power output unless it is stuck open. The ECM turns off EGR pretty much anytime that you are not cruising at a steady speed, and always when at WOT.

------------------
Boost is like Venereal Disease, one night of passion can result in weeks of pain (and work.)
Its not always about who gets to the finish line first, its who looks good when they get there. 'Course it doesnt hurt to have both.
http:\\www.myspace.com\keeptherubbersidedown

TnTyler

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TnTylerSend a Private Message to TnTylerDirect Link to This Post
This loo right??

Distro----------------Block
-------6 ---------------6----4-----2--
----5-----1-----------------------------
--4---------2---------------------------
-------3----------------3----5------1--

[This message has been edited by TnTyler (edited 03-05-2006).]

86SE

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86SESend a Private Message to 86SEDirect Link to This Post
Should be more like::

----5-----1-----------------------------
--4---------2---------------------------
-------3----------------5----3------1--

your 3 and 5 cylinders are switched

[This message has been edited by 86SE (edited 03-05-2006).]

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
I think my fireing order is switched too after degreasing my engine today. It's dark out so I will have to wait till mornin' to see if maybe that's it cuz damn it feels like I'm hauling a train cuz I have considerable power loss but you wouldn't notice by sound. But i noticed the engine sounded just a tad off before degreasing. Dist. is completely dry inside and out.

Question, does it matter what size mm wire you use on a plug?

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post

fierogtowner

1610 posts
Member since Aug 2005
86SE, that doesn't look right. I'm referring to the manual. Doesn't match up. So damn confusing this is.
wanobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wanobiSend a Private Message to wanobiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86SE:

Should be more like::

----5-----1

rotate the distro side by 2 clicks clock wise and it is more like the manual.

that's weird it cut off half the quote

[This message has been edited by wanobi (edited 03-05-2006).]

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
That makes it more confusing.
fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post

fierogtowner

1610 posts
Member since Aug 2005
Found very good pics:

Rotor: http://web2.airmail.net/jsavage1/formula/rotor.jpg

Firing Order: http://web2.airmail.net/jsavage1/formula/rearwires.jpg
http://web2.airmail.net/jsavage1/formula/frontwires.jpg

Nvmd, they look exactly like it in the manual. Hopefully all goes well.

[This message has been edited by fierogtowner (edited 03-05-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
In the pic below::: If you look at the tops of the wires on the distributor cap, the furthest one away --next to the coil wire--with the black casing on it--is your # 1-----its is also closest to the small black vacum nipple leading into the plentum--then just head towards the rear of the car---or clockwise 2 3 4 5 6 .

http://web2.airmail.net/jsavage1/formula/rearwires.jpg

If your standing behind the car looking at the trunkside--to your furthest right is # 1--then the middle is # 3 ---then the last one on drivers side is # 5.

If your standing behind the car looking at the engine--(This is the front wall) the furthest plug to the right is # 2 then the middle is # 4 then the furthest one to the left is # 6

The diagram in the manual is wrong--so your not loosing your mind!!!!

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
Crap...it's wrong in the manual!? That explains a lot! Thanks for clearing things up.
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
This one is right.
3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

This one is right.

avengador1--all due respect--all 3 of my 2.8`s are running with # 1 being one post back past the distributor cap hold down screw ( in short) the post that is 1 back going counter clock wise.. When I saw this diagram the first time it was posted --I switched over all 3 of them, and they did not run correclty.

fierogtowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtownerSend a Private Message to fierogtownerDirect Link to This Post
I followed that diagram and still my car won't start.
wanobi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wanobiSend a Private Message to wanobiDirect Link to This Post
my 2.8l is set just like in the book and is running just fine.

Is it possible that TDC has been set differently on some fiero's? Look's like we all agree on the position of the plugs on the engine. Looks like the question is where is the number 1 plug wire is suppose to be on the distributor.

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Whether your distributor is one post off is irrelevant as long as you have the crank timing mark at TDC(top-dead-center) on the compresssion stroke and the rotor is roughly 5-10 degrees counterclockwise from whichever post you deem(ed) to be #1. The hard part is ensuring that the correct timing mark is used(I believe there are 3 grooves cut into the harmonic balancer) and it's on tdc on the COMPRESSION stroke. The mark you want is the big fat groove. Once you locate this groove, paint around the groove(not in it with white or very light paint and also mark directly 180 degrees opposite from it with the same paint on the front side of the pulley so that when you are on the ground rotating the engine with a wrench, you'll know roughly when TDC is reached. As for the compression stroke, the easist way to determine that is to remove spark plug # 1 and the wire from the coil(so the engine doesn't start). Then put your finger by(not in) the plug hole and have a helper bump the engine with the starter in 1/2second bumps. When you feel the air rush past your finger, you'll know that you are at TDC or just barely past it. Use the wrench on the crank to fine tune you timing mark and then, your number one distributor post should be slightly clockwise from the current position of the rotor. Then all of the other wires would be hooked up in clockwise order( #'s 2-6) thereafter. Once this is accomplished, the engine should be able to start (after you reconnect the coil wire) and you can use a timing light to fine tune the timing.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock