Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Tips on installing thrust bearing into block?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Tips on installing thrust bearing into block? by olaf_fiero27
Started on: 01-28-2006 01:28 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: olaf_fiero27 on 02-05-2006 12:45 PM
olaf_fiero27

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
Ok I'm about ready to start assembling the bottom end on my fresh 2.8 block. Now is there a special procedure to install the thrust bearing? I read somewhere that it has a different process when installing it, and how do you get it to seat nicley in the block, with a little force? Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DPWood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
I don't recall any special proceedures for installing a thrust bearing. It is just a main bearing with the flange to prevent the crank from walking. Once all bearings are installed you do have to check for play. Set up a dial indicator on the nose of the crank and use a prybar to move the crank back and forth. As long as that is in spec, you're good to go. If it's under, the flange can be sanded down by placing some sandpaper on a piece of glass and moving the bearing in a figure 8 motion. If the play is too loose have the crank thrust surface machined and go with an oversize bearing.

David

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post01-28-2006 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Cleanliness is critical here. The slightest speck of dirt between the bearing and block will cause rapid and premature bearing failure. Wipe all surfaces down with a lint-free towel and solvent before installing the bearing. When installing the crank and rods make sure all surfaces have been wiped, and use clean assembly lube out of a sealed container.

JazzMan

watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2006 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
You're supposed to drop all the bearings in place - but only put the cap bolts a bit more than finger tight. With a block of wood inbetween, smack the crank forward and backward a few times (gotta give it a good whack). Now tighten to spec. Then check clearances as above.

Make sure you don't miss that o-ring under the rear main cap!

olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
Is that it, where do I place the block of wood?
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
This is the best I can do because my scanner sucks and PIP was being very picky about image size but maybe it will help.

Actually that turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 02-05-2006).]

olaf_fiero27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2006 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olaf_fiero27Send a Private Message to olaf_fiero27Direct Link to This Post
Thanks!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock