Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Seatbelts, what other cars used similar seatbelts and will they work?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Seatbelts, what other cars used similar seatbelts and will they work? by Emc209i
Started on: 01-24-2006 11:48 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: DRWBRTq19 on 02-04-2006 09:36 PM
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-24-2006 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I'm wondering today if I could find black seatbelts for the car. Did the trans Ams and Firebirds use the same seatbelts? or can anyone think of a seat belt that would work?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3800superfast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
I think you might want to look at GM cars that had bucket seats to narrow it down---I did a complete ground up resto on a older GM 1/2 ton pick-up several years ago and came accross that problem, the bigger problem was matching the color---so I grabbed a few big pots from the kitchen , started them boiling --added the seat belts & a dark navy blue dye---then did it again--installed the belts and they look brand new and have never worn off the dye. Then my wife asked me to leave home for messing up her pots-n-pans and kitchen...It was worth it......
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
someone in here used a jcwhitney seatbelt - minor trimming to the plastic interior panels was required to make them fit - but its only seen when the seat is rotated forward
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
There was a post on here a bit back that someone found a set that worked...there was some tab on it that had to be cut so that it would fit. I think they came from a Grand Prix, not sure, and I can't find the link right now

Tim

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

I think you might want to look at GM cars that had bucket seats to narrow it down---I did a complete ground up resto on a older GM 1/2 ton pick-up several years ago and came accross that problem, the bigger problem was matching the color---so I grabbed a few big pots from the kitchen , started them boiling --added the seat belts & a dark navy blue dye---then did it again--installed the belts and they look brand new and have never worn off the dye. Then my wife asked me to leave home for messing up her pots-n-pans and kitchen...It was worth it......

seems to me that would be a VERY bad idea unless you washed them a few times, then again that could get you out of some seatbelt tickets if you've got blue stripes across your shoulder and waist, lol

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86GT3.4DOHC:

seems to me that would be a VERY bad idea unless you washed them a few times, then again that could get you out of some seatbelt tickets if you've got blue stripes across your shoulder and waist, lol

I actually dyed my seatcovers in the washing machine using that dye -- worked great

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
I just can see the horrible potential, but thats just my luck.
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2006 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3800superfast:

This an exellent Idea! Do you have any more info about the dye that you used? I'm going to look into this, wonderful wonderful idea!

Paul

3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
You may also want to doublecheck the dye you are using. I can't remember where I read it but on several occasions, I've read that dying seat belts is not reccomended. Something about the dye weakening the Nylon which could lead to failure (when you need it most). I'm not quite sure of "my opinion" on this as I've never needed to dye my belts but I thought I'd just "throw that out there" . I'm sure the nylon must get dyed somehow / someway when they make different color belts. Or does it come in different colors when they pick it off of the seatbelt trees? Ha Ha.

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 01-25-2006).]

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 3084me:

You may also want to doublecheck the dye you are using. I can't remember where I read it but on several occasions, I've read that dying seat belts is not reccomended. Something about the dye weakening the Nylon which could lead to failure (when you need it most). I'm not quite sure of "my opinion" on this as I've never needed to dye my belts but I thought I'd just "throw that out there" . I'm sure the nylon must get dyed somehow / someway when they make different color belts. Or does it come in different colors when they pick it off of the seatbelt trees? Ha Ha.

The nylon is colored during the manufacturing process .
Emc209i

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-03-2006 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
Well I've still got the idea over my head. You guys think that an upolstery shop would be able to make me one out of Black seatbelt?
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2006 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

Well I've still got the idea over my head. You guys think that an upolstery shop would be able to make me one out of Black seatbelt?

Yes - I've had it done

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2006 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Emc209i:

This an exellent Idea! Do you have any more info about the dye that you used? I'm going to look into this, wonderful wonderful idea!

Paul

Paul, You can get Rit Dye from allmost any store,fabric shop or craft store, it works great--just remember if you want to go darker or lighter to do a match, ex: I had medium blue on one set I did --I wanted dark navy blue--so I used black and they where perfect--also the amount of time they are left in the boiling water will cause a little difference in shade--it does not weaken the fabric at all---or rub off, one of the other key points is to wash and re-wash them after the dye proccess, I talked with a tech at Clarion Dyes in N.C. , he sends samples to our shop when requested --so he walked me through the first set, they hold up forever and if its a shade off, they have charts all over the net to give you the perfect match. Don`t pay a trim shop to do this ---they won`t do much more than you can , & don`t worry about the fastners---they will not discolor.. Hope this helps..

fierosrule

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosruleSend a Private Message to fierosruleDirect Link to This Post
try a late 80's firebird for seatbelts
DRWBRTq19

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2006 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRWBRTq19Send a Private Message to DRWBRTq19Direct Link to This Post

There was a post on here a bit back that someone found a set that worked...there was some tab on it that had to be cut so that it would fit. I think they came from a Grand Prix, not sure, and I can't find the link right now

Tim

I belive you are refering to this one:

Originally posted by Max The Chainsaw:

Update time. I have been looking for an alternative seatbelt for this car for some time. The Fiero grey is too light for the interior I'm making. After trying belts from a 94 Camaro, and a 94 Caviler, I finally found these will fit.:

Belts out of a 94 Grand Prix SE. They will need some work. On the back, you see 2 alignment pins. I cut off 1 pin and drilled a hole in the body where the 2ed alignment pin goes.

Then the belts will bolt in using the original Fiero mounting hardware.

Only thing left to do is fix the bottom of the latch. it's curved to bolt to the floor and we need it to bolt to the side of the tunnel.

Just take a torch and very lightly heat the vinyl cover over the latches and bend it to the desired angle and cool Presto, a straight, albeit crinkly, latch mount.

Slip the cover on the body and every thing fits and works. The latch pieces anr about 1 1/2 inches taller than the Fiero mounts, but I think that will make em a little easier for those like me who are slightly (AKA wayyyyyyyyyyy) overweight.The belts I got are a lot darker grey than Fiero belts. I was hoping to find some in Black, but it seem GM doesn't use black for interiors anymore, just dark greys.

Finally, a pic of it all together.

The belts area single spool type so the latch plate sits up by your sholder rather than be your waist like on the Fiero. In the last pic you can also see a bit of the interior work I've been doing.

Have a great day.

Max

Drew

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock