Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Vacuum regualtor - can anyone indentify this?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Vacuum regualtor - can anyone indentify this? by Techbot
Started on: 12-26-2005 06:44 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Techbot on 12-27-2005 11:13 AM
Techbot

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
I've been wrestling with a 3000rpm problem and glowing manifolds now for a month. I've checked for cracked vacuum hoses and checked the EGR tube. It looks fine. However, I noticed that there WAS no vacuum going to the EGR so I traced the hose and it wound up at the item you see pictured below. Let me explain.
The tube running to the EGR was plugged into hose #1. I didn't trace hose #2 to see where it went. Hose #3 is plugged off with some electrical tape from the previous owner. Hose #4 and #5 weren't connected to anything at all. When I disconnect everything from this regulator, the car didn't stall, stumble or anything. In fact it was as though I hadn't done a thing to it. Could this be my vacuum problem? If so, does anyone have a diagram or know where hose #'s 3, 4, and 5 are supposed to go??
This is on a 2.8 stock V6 Fiero, 85 GT model.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
5 is the air inlet, should go to a line on the firewall and over to the air cleaner, doesnt hurt if it doesnt. 3 loops to 4. 4 is a pressure switch that closes when it has vacum, telling the ECM if there is vacum going to the switch
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
That assembly contains the EGR solenoid and the EGR sensor. You should have a vacuum diagram stuck to the bottom of the decklid...
86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Oh and I should add, thats not a vacum regulator, its the EGR control solenoid. Has next to nothing to do with driveability. The car will operate pretty much fine without the EGR, theres a lot of things it effects, but nothing you could notice by the seat of your pants. It should be reinstalled though. There should not be vacum to the EGR valve unless the ECM turns EGR on, which is usualy only at steady cruise. a 3k idle has got to be a heck of a vacum leak. Have you had the intake or TB off before this started? there is the IAC feed pipe that goes from the TB to the lower intake. It comes out of the TB and is easy to miss. This would give you a 1/2" vacum leak. Or second guess would be the EGR tube. If all else fails, plus all the lines to the valve covers, and take off the oil cap and feel for vacum. Sometimes the LIM gaskets can migrate up breaching the runners to the crankcase, then air gets sucked from the crankcase into the runners.
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2005 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
This should help.......

Diagram: buddycraig

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< Pix of my GT / ** Pix of my Formula** / Pix of my Vettes >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

[This message has been edited by 2000RagTop (edited 12-26-2005).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is a great thread by Buddycraigg that may help out a lot.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html

------------------

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
May I make a suggestion, install a new egr solenoid and vacum lines to begin with, Re time your engine in the aldl *field service mode* to 10 degrees from TDC. Work on getting your idle down first. The manifolds are going to glow when you are sitting still and idling above or around 2000rpms no and if or butts on that one... With a 3000rpm idle, if the timing and above mentioned won`t fix it ==you have a larger vacum leak somewhere. EGR tube, brake booster, T.B tube that connects to lower intake, PCV connection at plentum , MAP lines. If you have had the top end off ,gaskets can bind on you also as 86GT3.4DOHC said. But start with the basics first, vacum gauges and alike can be gotten fairly cheap from places like habor frieght....Then work your way up....hope this helps some...
Techbot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TechbotSend a Private Message to TechbotDirect Link to This Post
My timing seems fine though. One turn from the key and it fires right up

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock