Started on: 10-11-2005 12:09 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: theratdude64 on 10-13-2005 03:32 PM
Mister

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Who's got an HUD setup and how well does it operate?
What type of info can you display in a Fiero?
Costs and installation options?
Pictures of the unit and on-windshield display would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

[This message has been edited by Mister (edited 10-11-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theratdude64

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Direct Link to This Post
Does ANYONE have it on a fiero? That would be awesome. Closest thing I found was in a 93-97 Style Camaro. At my school we have a bunch of cars with it. 04 vette, 05 Caddy Deville with Freakin Night Vision HUD, wow that thing is sweet. And several other cars. I've heard the night vision is just too in depth and expensive to really even swap it over, so thats pretty much outta the question I'd be interested in seeing it in a fiero, but I dont really see it happening without costing an arm and a leg
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
There was a guy here on the forum a year or two ago making them. They just show a digital readout of your speed. He was planning on also making a readout of the tach available.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20031229-1-024240.html

It was simple to hook up and works great. I haven't seen riceburner post here on the forum for a while, and I also don't know if he's even making them anymore.

Matt

Amethyst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmethystClick Here to visit Amethyst's HomePageSend a Private Message to AmethystDirect Link to This Post
Well Max The Chainsaw has a HUD unit in his ZR-2, here is the link to the buildup with some pics of how he incorporated it into the camero dash and all:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/049076.html

It displays the speed, signal indicators, and I think warning lights like temp and fuel, and check engine... his display is small, about 3 inches or so because he couldn't fit the magnifying lens piece into the dash..

But I don't know if this will help you much since it's in a camaro dash instead of the fiero dash... although I would think the set up would be about the same.... I'll try and remember to mention this thread to him so he can post in it himself... laugh...

------------------

Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
I have the HUD unit installed that " fiero go fast" referred to above. One of the guys on the forum about two years ago was making the sending unit, but there was a problem getting the projection to "bounce back" at eye level, and having it installed without looking like crap. I believe I have overcome the ugly install issue and have solved the reflection at eye level problem. The unit only shows mph and nothing else, but works great, bright and accurate.
I'll take some photos and post them in the next day or two. I don't know of anyone else who has actually installed this unit in their Fiero. Ed

------------------

Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post

Firefighter

1407 posts
Member since Nov 2004
[IMGOK - With luck, pictures follow. The sending pod is built into the rear of the gauge cluster and the reflection comes from a small piece 1 14"L x 1" H, blacken glass. The glass is located where the driver's side (of course) speaker grill meets the dash at the top. The glass is not directly in front of the sending unit as the dash is angled and slightly curved, so it is located slightly left of center. The pics are not great and I have to make a new piece of blacken glass as it is scratched, but you get the idea. The glass can be positioned back and forth for correct speed reflection, depending on your height. EdThis images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by Firefighter (edited 10-11-2005).]

Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post

Firefighter

1407 posts
Member since Nov 2004
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.Sorry, second photo, I think[IMG Damn, I give up, sorry.

[This message has been edited by Firefighter (edited 10-11-2005).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

If anyone's got a better HUD setup working in a Fiero, Please let us know.
I have contacted Oliver Scholz to see if there's any new options available.

------------------

Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I actually got the "002" picture above to work by copying and pasting the link into Explorer... It's been a while since I've sold one of these, I've had a few people that wanted them but I haven't gotten back to actually building them yet. Ran out of the plexiglass that I had cut for the top, and haven't even seen my mitre saw in months. It's actually in my tent inside a plastic bag at a friend's house, so it's probably rusted solid by now! They were a bit of a pain in the arse to build, and as mentioned above, come nowhere close to the appearance of an OEM unit. Kind of a "look what I got" thing, and at that it's only really helpful at night, as the LED display gets washed out by sunlight. The OEM vacuum flourescent displays are much brighter and easier to read in the daytime. They're also capable of displaying things like turn signals, high beam indicator, the newer ones will also show radio stations if you have the correct radio and datalink. Back to the ones I used to (and still will, if someone really really wants one ) sell - I've since bought a CNC machine due to working on replica F355 and Diablo HVAC controllers for the Fiero-based Kitcar guys. ( http://69.94.88.210/index.php?topic=4103.300 - but you have to be a member to see the pictures. Or click here -> http://home.comcast.net/~riceburner98/comparison.jpg for an OEM vs. replica panel picture - OEM is on the right side. But that's another topic...) I plan on cutting the HUD lenses with the CNC machine when I finally finish the HVAC controllers, and I do still have parts to build tons of them. I ordered 200 of the main circuit boards to make them, and 400 power supply boards. Think I've sold about 25 or so, if that. Not quite enough to break even $$ wise. But it'll actually work out pretty well, as the circuit is somewhat general-purpose, and I'm going to modify it to display temperature inside the Diablo HVAC panel. The tach version of the HUD has never quite gotten off the ground, at the time Oliver (who really deserves the credit for designing the HUD!) was busy with many other Fiero (and life!) projects to work on that part of it, and I never did get the time to dig into the code and come up with it myself. All that said, this aftermarket HUD would be much easier to install than a salvaged OEM one, but if you really want the performance of an "all the time" HUD, (and not to see a black box on / in the dash) you probably would be better off trying to incorporate a real one. They can apparently be had for as little as $5 from junkyards that don't quite know what they are, and are pretty straightforward to wire up - power, ground, speed signal, plus any extra functions.. Just have to figure how to fit it in. I've got some pictures of the one I sell up at http://home.comcast.net/~riceburner98/Heads_Up_Display.doc if anyone's interested. No installed pictures of my own unfortunately, I now have a running Fiero, but not a Fiero dashboard.. There is a noticeable "double image" because of the 2 layers of windshield glass. One OEM solution (think it was an older Nissan) was to adhere a small square of what looked like light window tint to the windwhield where the reflection appears. The idea being that it would only reflect off the 1 layer of tint rather than the 2 of glass. Another more expensive solution (Corvette) is to actually coat the entire windshield with a specially reflective coating. Not sure what the other OEM's do... (Grand Prix, etc...) Anyway, just wanted to add a few notes!

------------------
Bob Williams
Multi-colored '86 Mutt, a work in progress! (3800SC running great! Fixed the bent roof, now I need an intercooler! Yeehaa!)

MikeH

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeHSend a Private Message to MikeHDirect Link to This Post
I'm still using mine Bob- I just live with the ghosting on the windshield because I like it higher up. Might have to give the tint a try and see the difference.

Mike

srat110

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for srat110Send a Private Message to srat110Direct Link to This Post
Man, That's Cool. How hard is the install for someone with some basic electronics experience. Wonder if there is room in the dash to flush mount, sort of.

Of course I still have to figure out why speedo is reading wrong before I worry about upgrades.

PFF
System Bot
Firefighter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
Installing the digital unit will give you the exact speed and then you can reset your analog speedo needle, perhaps it's just loose. Mine has no ghost image as it reflects off a single layer of darkened glass.
Zodo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZodoSend a Private Message to ZodoDirect Link to This Post
I installed one from a 94 Bonneville, but is ugly on the stock Fiero dash. I'm going to install a Firebird dash and integrate it but I wanted to make sure it worked first. It displays speed, check gauges warning, low fuel warning, turn signals and high beams. I got the idea from jscott.

[This message has been edited by Zodo (edited 10-12-2005).]

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zodo:
I installed one from a 94 Bonneville, but is ugly on the stock Fiero dash. I'm going to install a Firebird dash and integrate it but I wanted to make sure it worked first. It displays speed, check gauges warning, low fuel warning, turn signals and high beams. I got the idea from jscott.

Zodo, Have you got any pics from the Bonneville HUD install?

Zodo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZodoSend a Private Message to ZodoDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to find them, I just rebuilt my computer and still not sure of everthing that I lost (hard drive failure). Like I said above, it's not a good looking install. The HUD box is way to big to place inside the Fiero dash, I currently have it bolted to the top of the stock instument cluster, I just used the stock screws that bolt the cover plate to the back of the main cluster.
Zodo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZodoSend a Private Message to ZodoDirect Link to This Post

Zodo

95 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Ok, I found a couple of pics through the archives. One is a shot of how it looks on the windshield, not very clear though and I don't remember the posters name and the wiring diagram is from jscott.

Mister

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Zodo, appreciate the effort (+)

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zodo:

. It displays speed, check gauges warning, low fuel warning, turn signals and high beams. I got the idea from jscott.

Thanks for the credit Zodo...

I tried to photograph my Bonneville HUD and it's very difficult. Any photographers out there have any tips how to do that? Even in manual mode on the camera it's hard to get a clear shot. This was my best shot:

------------------

88 GT T-Top, 88 Fastback Chop-top (Archie #14), 1984 Indy, and 88 Chop Top T-top
Firebird Interior Installation Website

theratdude64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2005 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theratdude64Send a Private Message to theratdude64Direct Link to This Post
ohhh I see how thats done lol. I was thinkin the good new HUD setups lol. I was playin with that on the cadillac at my school and it is adjustable to height, and all I could really get on it was a static screen lol. But it has an LCD style display up there, not just like an alarm clock lol. that would rule to hook THAT up. I'll take pics tonight lol

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock