Side scoops, intercooler, no air flow by RotrexFiero
Started on: 10-02-2005 06:32 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 10-03-2005 08:26 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
If you have been following me I just finished a turbo on a rebuild 3.1, and I added the Saab intercooler behind the drivers side vent. I have been debating this addition, the intercooler, for some time. I was concerned about the pressure drop but also the effectiveness since it was located next to the engine. Last night I attempted to box it in a little, placing some metal sheets between it and the engine.

This morning I decided to see how much air was flowing from my side scoop located behind my drivers side door so I reversed the flow on my shop vac. This vac really blows but no matter how I aimed or positioned it absolutely no air was rising up through my intercooler. I mean there was no air flow or feeling of air moving at all.

This is a problem. It seems more of it is just venting down back under the car.

Anyone experience this or come up with a remedy? I am sure I have to do some ducting of air.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: [EMAIL=david88@peoplepc.com]
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I installed an oil cooler in the driver side side scoop. To provide air flow I measured out a 10" X 10" square and drilled a 3/8" hole every squre inch on the plastic wheel well directly even with the oil cooler. This provides a straight thru air flow.

You will need an actual scoop to get the flow. The stock vent won't direct much air. I am using Fiero Warehouse side scoops.

RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Well, I started today. I removed my side scoop panel. I began by fabricating some ducts out of sheet metal. I am telling you that unless you do some channeling of the air the side scoops are really of no use. The air simple vents back to the ground.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: david88@peoplepc.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock