Started on: 10-01-2005 11:44 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: jetman on 10-03-2005 10:41 PM
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2005 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Fiero engine mount replacement / pics

Honest, the replacement of my Fiero engine mounts was not as bad as I thought that it would be. It’s done and I feel proud of myself. Ok, I have an 86, V-6 with a 4-speed transmission. It took about 4 hours leisurely but that is with everything including clean up and putting away the tools. I could have done it in less than 3 hours.
You will need the following,

Anchor 2466 Rear,
Anchor 2472 motor mount LH,
Anchor 2467 Transmission Mount Rear
Jack,
Car ramps or jack stands
Block of wood,
13MM wrench and 13MM sockets.
15MM wrench and 15MM sockets
Flex head ratchet
Safety glasses
Trouble light.
Tools to disconnect the battery and your dog-bone.
Pry-bar and a BF Hammer to help persuade rusty and stubborn bolts.
Permatex mechanics hand cleaner.

It was fairly straightforward, back car on ramps, and disconnect battery, dog-bone, and the lower nuts to all of the mounts. I have access to a High-Lo so I used that to raise the engine, looping a chain on the engine lift hooks. A jack with a 2x4 board under the oil pan will work fine, just a bit less maneuvering room. I did use the jack to lift under the trans case carefully at one point. The mechanic on station set me up with an air tool to loosen some of the mount bolts, man alive that was cool, fast too.

Hint,,,, Plan on replacing all three mounts at the same time, I attempted to replace mine in succession, but quickly figured out that I needed to un-fasten all of the frame bolts to all three mounts to raise the engine up.

Hint,,,,, The mechanic showed me the trick to reinstalling the LH rear mount, slide it in and drop the rear most bolt through the frame first, then the front bolt, it will plop right in. I’m so square peg in round hole, I couldn’t figure this out but he got it in about 11 seconds.

Hint,,,, Pick up some fresh washers prior to starting, there is no way that you will be able to reuse the old ones due to rust and wear. Figure on one for each bolt.

Hint,,,, The old LH front mount has two different sized bolts whereas the new Anchor mount will have two identical sized bolts, you will need to pick up an extra nut for this one. This is on the frame bolts on this mount.

I tightened up the mounts to engine first, then lowered it slowly into the frame. I wanted the weight of the engine to load up on the mounts evenly. I then fastened the all the frame to mount nuts.

Played tug of war for a couple of minutes to re-secure the dog-bone, re-attached the battery cable, put away tools and drove off into the sunset.

Hint,,,, My neighbor is so sweet, she cleaned the grease off of my camera with some “Citrus-wipes”. I’ll have to get some of those to clean up my tools next time.

A couple of notes about this. It wasn’t that bad of a job, everything was very accessible from underneath. Some of those fancy ratchet wrenches would have been nice but my socket wrench did fine. I took a short video of the mechanic demonstrating the trick to getting the LH Rear mount into place, I can email it to anyone who wants to see it.

I took about 50 some odd pictures for everyone, kind of like show and tell, the link to my photo page is here,
http://jetman.smugmug.com/gallery/851482/1/38285168 I'll keep this up for everyone for at least a year.

Now for a few pictures of the action starting with the chains on the engine.

Lifting the engine the easy way!
A car jack will work or a ratchet strap on a large shade tree branch will do just fine.

Wow, what a bad one! Nearly falls apart, no wonder the car felt funny.

Before,,,,

After,,,,

Clean up time!

I hope that someday, one of my Fiero friends will be able to save himself or herself some time and aggravation by reading my little post about the Fiero motor mounts. Thanks for allowing me membership in our PFF community!
jetman

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"
TCC solenoid replacement tips
Exhaust manifold gaskets replacement
Main electrical harness inspection
Funny stuff Three Stooges quotes, My new bed, jetman vrs dishes,

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Heres how I got acces to my transmission mounts: A support under the trans and the fiero on a car lift (to move it up/down). I didnt change the enginemount so the dogbone stayed in place. Yes the rearmount needed some fiddling to get it out
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2005 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice pics! I borrowed one to advertise for a part I need. I did this repair last year and you are right. It makes a great difference in how the vehicle rides. My front tranny mount was a mess. The metal safety loop was broken and the mount was twisted sideways. Ugly stuff. Great job.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 10-02-2005).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the compliments.
The car drives better now with the fresh mounts and drives very straight through the shifts.
Yes Fie Ro, I also used a jack under the trans case, worked like a charm.
1MohrFiero, my metal saftey loop was rusted but not totally shot. Our little cars are getting to be 20 years old now, we need to be inspecting these areas on our cars for our own safety. Hope that you get the part you need.

Now if you notice the carpet cleaning truck in the background in my picture, that is the next project, a complete interior steam cleaning! I'll be doing that soon enough, I just got done cleaning the grease and grime off the hard surfaces with "Liquid Soft Scrub gel with bleach". In the mean time, I'm really happy with my successful mount job

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock