Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3.4L carb'd VS. 3.4L EFI Results. (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3.4L carb'd VS. 3.4L EFI Results. by Oreif
Started on: 09-03-2005 06:22 PM
Replies: 55
Last post by: Lilchief on 10-28-2005 08:58 PM
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

2-8hp difference is hard to feel with the SOTP meter. A dyno would be the best way. Also I think it is easier to feel torque differences than HP differences.

here's the way i look at it:

horsepower sells cars

torque wins races

matthew

IP: Logged
Kreb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2005 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KrebSend a Private Message to KrebDirect Link to This Post
Pardon me for asking, but why is it so hard to get a dyno chart posted? We wanna see the curve!
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2005 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
send me an e-mail and I'll send you Matt's chart you can post it. I haven't had much luck trying to get it posted here it's in M.S. Word. I added colors on the chart to show the gains between the lines and I think you'll find very interesting.
rspiderii@aol.com
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
What happened to the chart? One other question, what type of air filter system did the EFI use? Well one other question, how much porting was done to the heads. And who done the dyno and tuning? Short runner intake?

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
I thought it was here too? Anyway, the chart is on my hi-flo update post that has been running forever. It's on the last page and I tried to copy it from there and paste it here, but it didn't work.
As for the other questions:
The air filter was (if I recall correctly) a stock setup and don’t think he had any headwork either. If I’m wrong I’m sure Matt will say so. Troy did the tuning and whereas he was a factory tuner for Electromotive engine management systems, he knows his stuff. Just look at the 500+ HP 2lit four MR2 13k RPM engine he built on his website (trueleo.com) for an example of his expertise. We were also aided by the excellent race engine builders/tuners at H.P. Works, the people with the dyno.
BTW: For anyone in the Virginia/Maryland area looking for a good dyno equiped shop, I highly recommend H.P.W. But call them first as they don't always work with just anyone and are often quite backed up. They're in Colonial Beach Virginia.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2005 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
i think that last post was for the person who built the 200WHP 3.4L motor, my motor was using the stock air cleaner assembly with a k&n filter, Im sure the built motor was ported to the max amount that a set of iron heads could be ported

matthew

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
still no dyno chart of the 200+ rwhp FI 3.4?
Kreb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KrebSend a Private Message to KrebDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to see the 200 WHP dyno charts for three reasons - proof that it has in fact been done by the persons making the claims, to get a sense of how much bottom was sacrificed to get the top end, and to compare the FI versus carb applications.

Please post. Anyone can make claims.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Not usre if you're talking about our dyno runs with MAtt's FI 3.4 but if you are the link belwo should get you to the PFF page with our dyno chart, if it don't send me an e-mail and I'll send it to you. I haven't had much luck trying to post it here. It's now an MS Word file. BTW: No bottom end loss at all.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/051176-18.html.

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post

Francis T

6620 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Soory folks, nut's that didn't work either, so just go here and if you know how to get it copied to this posting please do so.
It's on the last page of the below PFF thread from like 5 days ago you can't miss it.
hi-flo manifold update 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I have no doubt at all that 200+ hp was achieved with a 3.4. You have very solid references here with Oreif. There are any number of threads on the subject and if I recall without looking, the torque specs and dyno info are there already

You can get 175 hp out of a 2.8 and the 3.4 is that much more engine. It is pretty straight forward.

Arn

PFF
System Bot
Kreb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KrebSend a Private Message to KrebDirect Link to This Post
OK, I'm not trying to be hostile here. I don't doubt that 200 RWHP is attainable. I've heard from a fairly reliable source that swamp racers have gotten 400 BHP out of these motors. - But that's on something with practically zero driveability. I just want to see the charts and get a sense of the driveability at around 200 RWHP. The Trueleo looks like a great product. No dissing there.

However.... Page 18 of the intake manifold thread has three dyno graphs on it. The highest measured HP is 145. This thread started off saying:

Quote:

Car # 1:
My black 1986 SE
3.4L with a holley 390cfm carb, auto trans.
Last chassis dyno it had (before my V-8 swap)
197.2 HP and 207 ft/lbs torque at the wheels.

Car # 2:
Friends red 1986 SE
3.4L with Trueleo and accel 19# injectors, 5-spd getrag, Dyno-tuned today.
Chassis dyno after tuning. (next week I'll get scans of his dyno and post them, he isn't on the internet.)
205.8 HP and 212 ft/lbs torque

That sounds great. BUT WHERE ARE THE CHARTS? If someone is going to brag about their figures, they should be able to post 'em. I

[This message has been edited by Kreb (edited 09-22-2005).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2005 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kreb:

That sounds great. BUT WHERE ARE THE CHARTS? If someone is going to brag about their figures, they should be able to post 'em. I

The EFI 3.4L is not my car. The guy who has them hasn't given me his dyno graphs as of yet. I was present at the dyno shop when they tuned it so I know what the final numbers are.
As soon as I get the charts I will post them and also answer Lou's question on what the A/F ratio is running at across the RPM range.

As for the carb'd 3.4L, The dyno sheets were posted back in April/May of 2004.
Ditch has my carb'd 3.4L engine right now running in his car (sold it to him when I converted to the V-8) and he can confirm the engine has very good drivability. I drove it with an auto trans for a year and and ran a 14.2 in the 1/4 mile. Ditch now has it with a 5-spd attached to it.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 09-22-2005).]

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2005 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Would still like to see the dyno chart on car #2

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lilchief:

Would still like to see the dyno chart on car #2

in your sig 14.9s with an auto. Pretty good. What are your mods?

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2005 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Page 14 in hi flow manifold update are my mods. New mods are trueleo intake with 59mm TB from GN, 19lb injectors 2.25" crossover pipe with 3" collector. Now it's a tuning issue but going to get a full port and polish job on heads and fresh trans with 3.42 gears ,2800 stall. Next year i'm going to put direct port nitrous. I'm shooting for the 12's

------------------
85 GT 3.4
Auto 3.08
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60"

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave