Repairing Dash Corner Vents? by mrjohnishome
Started on: 08-31-2005 08:53 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Chris88GT on 08-31-2005 11:42 PM
mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeDirect Link to This Post
IS there any way to repair the cracks in the vinyl just below the corner vents? I really dont want to have to replace the entire dash. THere just little cracks, there has to be some way to fix/hide them neatly... Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero store has some pieces that fit over the cracked corners. You could do some body work to fix them also but you might not get the texture of the original dash to match.
http://www.secureleadercom.com/fsstore/default.asp?bodystyle=1&topdeptnumber=258&searchBit=3&dept=259

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 08-31-2005).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I had good luck using Stiction E-Z Weld Plastic Epoxy.

I used it on an 87 GT dash. One corner was completely cracked out. I dug out the foam, and filled it with the epoxy, then used a piece of leather to grain the epoxy. It held great, and looked good. Only problem was when I bumped the corner recently. Epoxy held, but a new crack started next to the epoxy.

I cant find the epoxy in any stores anymore. Looks like it's not being made anymore?

I used a liquid plastic epoxy recently to fix another dash. It looks perfect, but I havent had it "fixed" long enough to make sure it will last

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post

smartaxel

2823 posts
Member since Feb 2002
My latest fix. Used a plastic epoxy that was a liquid 2 part "goo". Cured, and kinda "impressioned" with leather scrap. Then painted with SEM grey in the OEM color. Pic below.

I haven't installed it back into the car yet, so I am not sure how well this particular brand will hold. It looks perfect, though. Can't even tell it was cracked. Just hope it stays looking like that.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 08-31-2005).]

Chris88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-31-2005 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris88GTSend a Private Message to Chris88GTDirect Link to This Post
Autozone sells a dash repair kit. Don't know how good it is. I bought it to fix the very tiny crack in my dash, but havent used it yet. I'll let you know in a few weeks maybe.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock