Functional Indy Scoop?? by BrewCheese
Started on: 07-22-2005 05:35 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Fastback 86 on 07-23-2005 02:33 AM
BrewCheese

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Im assuming the original pace car over head scoop was functional. Any one have any pics of the setup they used?? Also, is anyone else using a functional indy style scoop?? Just thinking about doing a carbed 3.4 swap and just got to thinking it would be pertty cool if you could rig that up somehow.

Thanks,
Jason

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Mine was functional. The only downside was the scoop had to be removed so the decklid could be opened. I had 4 allen head bolts that held the scoop onto the aluminum mount.
I had it with the stock 2.8L and I think I still have the air cleaner housing I made for use with my 3.4L carb'd engine.
It was basically an oval panel with a 3" foam edge and used a Mr. Gasket 6.5" air cleaner over the carb. and the panel extended under the Indy scoop hole in the decklid so it was sealed from engine compartment heat when the decklid was closed.
The panel was oval shaped because the carb does not sit in the middle of the engine bay.
Here are pics of the scoop when it was on the car and still had the 2.8L.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

ZZ4 Powered !!

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 07-22-2005).]

BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick reply Oreif! I hope in the future to be able to build a 3.4 that pulled the same numbers yours did. Do you have pics of the air cleaer housing you made?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, does the scoop actually make any noticable power increases??

Thanks,
Jason

*I would give you a "+" but it seems I already did

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BrewCheese:

Thanks for the quick reply Oreif! I hope in the future to be able to build a 3.4 that pulled the same numbers yours did. Do you have pics of the air cleaer housing you made?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, does the scoop actually make any noticable power increases??

Thanks,
Jason

*I would give you a "+" but it seems I already did

Can't say if it had any noticable difference as I never ran it without a scoop, But blocking engine compartment heat and using cooler outside air is always a good thing.
I'll see if I can find the panel. If you go that way, you can have the panel. (at work right now so I'll look this weekend.)

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-22-2005 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The original Indy pace car scoop was not functional, it's only purpose was to provide a place to mount the strobe light assembly. Basically, an engineer looked at the aircraft strobe they had and said, "Gee, this would look good on the back of a scoop!"

JazzMan

BrewCheese

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2005 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrewCheeseSend a Private Message to BrewCheeseDirect Link to This Post
Hmm..interesting. Was the Indy a carbed engine or fuel injected??
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post07-23-2005 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Looks injected to me, has a map sensor and a fuel return line:

JazzMan

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2005 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Injected, AFAIK. The prototype Indy had a 2.0l Turbo 4cyl and the scoop was actually functional, but it didn't have the strobe in it. When they went to the 2.7l Super Duty it changed everything. Also, the strobe took up most of the space in the scoop.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock