Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Did the Fiero Gods smile on me-or are they just toying w/me?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Did the Fiero Gods smile on me-or are they just toying w/me? by maryjane
Started on: 06-05-2005 07:28 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: westtexas on 06-06-2005 11:06 AM
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I've had my 84 for 1 yr now, and it has always ran good-or for the last 6 mos anyway. Drove down to San Antonio and back last month along with Jane's 84. Did a full tune up on her's but didn't get around to changing the plugs on mine. Decided today would be a good day for it. By the time I got #1 &2 out, I thought-"man, good thing I decided to do this now--any longer and I would break one off." They were that rusty. # 3 came out with just the porcelin and part of the steel.---the threads and electrode stayed in. "CRAP!!"
More PBblaster and an hour later-an easy out. Came right out. As far as I can tell, all parts are accounted for, tho I did break part of the porcelin when I anrgily threw the broken end against the dumpster.
Did I bite a bullet and need to run down and buy a loto tickey----or can I expect bad things to happen when I start it?

BTW, I still have #4 to remove yet. Wish me luck.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Firefighter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefighterSend a Private Message to FirefighterDirect Link to This Post
WOW -Those look like plugs from a Model T that haven't been change in 80 years. If you think that a piece of porclein fell into the cylinder -take your vacuum cleaner and with duct tape somehow tape a piece of vacuum line to the vacuum hose and stick it into the cylinder, work it around and it will pick up any fragments that have fallen in.

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If that is everything you got out... you are missing ceramic. You can try the vac as noted above. Empty the vac first so you can inspect the catch to see what you got. The more the better.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
No, the porcelin (ceramic )was all intact till I gave it a frustrated heave. I'm done with it now-- with all the plugs changed and a generous smear of antiseize around the threads. The oil on the plugs is actually PB blaster and residue left from a prior leaking valve cover gasket. I bought the car last year out of Virginia, somewhat abused in it's past, tho the engine has always ran good, with good compression and no noticable blowby. Since it rarely rains here, I'd have to say the rust was there when I bought the car. Changed the valve cover gasket last month and the rocker arm area was very clean, so hopefully the internals are in better shape than what is indicated by the rusty plugs.

It started and runs with no noise, tho I do know anything that may be in there could just be bouncing around waiting to get blown under an exh valve at any time. And, I really should have pulled the head, but I figured I'd give it a try just this once. Maybe I'll get lucky-who knows?.?

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 06-05-2005).]

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Both the FIeros I have bought had at least one plug like that (the GT had two). Seems to be pretty common if the plugs aren't changed on a regular basis. It is real gut wrencher when you find it but all have come out with the large ease out. Good work, Don.

------------------

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
did you make the obligatory blood sacrifice? perhaps a scraped knuckle to propitiate the capricious whims of the fiero deity? if so, youve proven your devotion and should be ok. for now.
maryjane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
I still have a door lock rod to reconnect. I'm sure there will be plenty of blood spilled on the sharp stamped steel to appease even the most mischevious Fierogod.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Now get cranking on that a/c compressor...it starting to heat up in West Texas.
HellYes

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HellYesSend a Private Message to HellYesDirect Link to This Post
Had the same thing happen on my Taurus a few years ago. Right after we had the entire top end off to change the head gaskets we decided to do the plugs. Broke one and had to pull the head right back off.. total waste of a head gasket.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I washed and degreased the 87 because of a head gasket leak and found not only corroded spark plugs but greasy dirty crud down in those sparl plug holes. I wound up using a pressure washer with the plugs still in to clear the mess out and then hosed it down with PBblaster to avoid what happened to you!

------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 ; 87 Coupe in the driveway. "Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

westtexas

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2005 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for westtexasSend a Private Message to westtexasDirect Link to This Post
All three of the front plugs on my '86 GT twisted off leaving the threads in the cylinder head. After an afternoon of laying on top of the engine and reaching into the dark abyss between the head and the firewall, my back cratered and I was useless for a week. I didn't think my back was up to pulling the head, so I dropped the engine. Took a can of PB Blaster, several different easy outs, use of a pipe wrench and a cheater but I got the threads out. If I had it to do over again, I would've had FastFieros just change the head out. At the time, his shop was surrounded by a muddy muck but I should've waited until it dried.

Here is a good reason to have a four cylinder. The plugs are in the front. So much easier to work on. I'm glad you got them changed without too much effort. I'm guessing eventually one of the plugs would've shot out leaving you with an underpowered three cylinder.

Robert

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock