Poly/Solid Cradle/Brake Upgrade by createnm2
Started on: 05-16-2005 10:37 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: createnm2 on 07-09-2005 03:19 AM
createnm2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2005 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
Wiht no classes for the summer it's time to start modding. I'm doing as the subject says poly all four corners, aluminum cradle mounts, and 11.25" brake up grade. I've done a little suspension work here and there but this will be a learning experience.

Front Sarting point

I ended up unbolting and lowering the lower control arm with two jacks before pressing out the upper and lower ball joints. This would work if one was just checking the bushings or didn't want to tear down the suspension completely. Make sure you chain the spring to the upper control arm for saftey.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

Here's the control arms and spindle the bolts came off with relative ease after being soaked with liquid wrench. I also had to loosen the steering rack to remove one of the lower control arm bolts and the brake line to get the upper control arm bolt out.
My worn suspension.
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
This is what the ball joints did to the pickle fork before switching to a press style ball joint remover.

more tomorrow

------------------
87 GT - Poly dogbone, RD comp short shifter, Ultimate Getrag Shift Kit, No Cat, FS rear sway bar, poly suspension spring/summer 05'
87 Accord - Stock w/ dents and character

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2005 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
AHHHH the memories you brought back. Been there done that. It was a learning experience, but I did have fun doing it. Cursed a few times, but in the end I was happy.

------------------
87 Fiero GT
White / Blue Pearl
T-Top, 3400 Turbo, 11.25" brakes
Whaletail, Mecham Scoops, ZR1 Scoop
T/A Fender Vents, Much Much More

86 SE Red
86 SE Gold
Formerly FieroGT87
My build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036679.html

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2005 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I am anxious to see this thread - so good luck. www.summitracing.com sells poly bushings for the cradle I think for around $40 and http://www.prothanesuspension.com/pontiacfiero.htm prothane part #7-502

------------------
John DuRette
Custom 85 ; 87 Coupe in the driveway. "Kinda makes you nostalgic for a Members Only jacket"

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2005 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
My ply kit came from Summit and the solid cradle mounts from darrell morse.
A little more work done.

The more evenly you heat the bushing the less likely it will shoot out. After the inner sleeve is out you can pry the rest of the bushing out with a flathead screwdriver or push it out with a ball joint puller and a washer.

All bushings out

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2005 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by createnm2:

ah, the memories. I wonder what the neighbors thought of the smell....

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
bump to keep from archiving. I'll post updates soon life has put the car work at a snails pace.
USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

life has put the car work at a snails pace.

I feel you, brother.

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2005 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
Progress has been made! The sleeves have been cleaned out and smoothed with a dremel tool and the poly has been installed. I did not find the need to freeze the poly in order to get it to fit in the sleeves. Almost all of them went in easily with hand pressure, then I pushed the inner sleeve in by hand as well. The ones I couldn't do by hand I used a $30 1/2 ton press.

After install:

Mounted to the car:

The upper arm is torqued to spec per the chiltons manual and the lower will be torqued when I have a normal suspension load on that corner of the car.
I am now beginning to work on the labaron brake conversion using sluppy123's brackets. They mount to the spindle using 2" 7/16 grade 8 hex head bolts, with a lock washer. This setup requires you to open up the bracket mounting holes on the spindle to 7/16. I torqued the bolts to 80ft lbs, which is what the chiltons manual uses for the 88 fiero caliper bracket. Pics to come later.

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2005 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
Brake Time:

The dust shield needs needs to be modified to make clearence for the labaron rotor. I cut the outer lip off of it, then bent the rest of the shield back. After remounting the shield next came the modified hub.

After mounting the rotor and caliper I found the stock opening for the brake line is blocked by the lower caliper bracket bolt. So some of the casting on the caliper need to come off to open up the space. This will give the line the clearence it needs off to the side of the bolt instead of between the caliper and the bolt. I have not seen anyone mention this problem and wonder if it has to do with this particular casting of the caliper or is it a standard problem.

Here's a shot of the assembly where you can see how the spacers are placed and how the dust shield is bent. It is by no means a perfect solution. Perhaps when I learn to weld I may rebuild the shield to look stock.

After mounting the caliper and the rotor I put a 87 GT wheel to see if it clears and if not to make modifications to the caliper. It cleared just fine. Shots of both ends of the caliper and under the wheel. Looks good.

I have a few other shots if anyone is interested:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/crakerjax/IMG_0698.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/crakerjax/IMG_0692.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/crakerjax/IMG_0694.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/crakerjax/IMG_0696.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/crakerjax/IMG_0706.jpg

Aside from remounting the swaybar, which will get done and covered when I do the front left side next, that is pretty much all that is to be done on this side. Brake bleeding won't happen until the other three corners are done and the master cylinder is replaced. Once the front left side is done I will drop the car long enough to torque the lower control arms to spec then start on the rear suspension and brakes. If winter hasn't set in by then the cradle bushings will be done last.

[This message has been edited by createnm2 (edited 06-07-2005).]

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Great progress, so keep us posted !

That looks like a nice job on the hub. Did you find a local machine shop to do it?

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

After mounting the rotor and caliper I found the stock opening for the brake line is blocked by the lower caliper bracket bolt. So some of the casting on the caliper need to come off to open up the space. This will give the line the clearence it needs off to the side of the bolt instead of between the caliper and the bolt. I have not seen anyone mention this problem and wonder if it has to do with this particular casting of the caliper or is it a standard problem.

ah you used the camaro caliper instead of the blazer/cadillac caliper - no need to do that with the blazer/cadillac caliper. I found it easy to just order the front and rear calipers for an 85 cadillac seville - the fronts are basicly identical to the camaro except in the mounting location of the hose and bleeder.

PFF
System Bot
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
No new ball joints? Seems like a good time to replace them.

Mounted to the car:

------------------
Huh?

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
You could have gotten around that dust shield problem by just cutting them off... I'm not sure what protection they will offer like that if any at all. They may come back a bit and start rubbing the back of the rotor which would be a PITA. I cut mine off where they first start to curve so I could keep the dust shield around the hub. They worked out nicely. (This was done for the vette brakes)

(here's mine)

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 06-22-2005).]

Delphince

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2005 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelphinceSend a Private Message to DelphinceDirect Link to This Post

Man I love that. It's the most archaic method of working on a car.

Step 1 - Remove old part.
Step 2 - Set on fire.
Step 3 - Insert new part.

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2005 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
Slow goes the work. I had the work done at Big Auger Machine chop in Lexington. The work they did looks good and so far fits good but I wanted to make sure the back was done right too. The ball joints and tie rod ends were all stiff with no play so I kept them. I should have the front left done Tuesday if all goes well then on to the back.

Will

USFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

How was re-installing those springs? I cut a coil out of mine and it was still a treat putting that all back together. I would really recommend replacing the lower front balljoints (I know it will be a huge pain now that you have it all together) since so many PFF posts talk about the catastrophic failure of original BJs. If you'd like to lower the front end I've heard good things about Rodney Dickman's replacement lowers to lower the front by an inch or so.

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2005 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
The reinstall of the springs wasn't too bad except for being unsafe for a small period of time. The way I did it was to push the LCA down and push the spring onto it's seat. While holding it there I placed a bottle jack underneath the swaybar endlink mount and jacked it up until I didn't need to keep pressure on the spring to hold it in place( foot pressure will keep it on the seat until the LCA is raised some and two people would make the job easier). Then I immediately chained the spring incase it decided to come flying out. That is the dangerous part. The rest is just reinstall of the spindle.
createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2005 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
A little update. I got the left side back together and will be reinstalling the swaybar and starting on the rear hopefully. I cleaned up the dust shields as Jncomutt recomended and while installing the new caliper bracket I found that when it was torqued properly it would warp due to the area around the bolt holes not being level. A little bit of grinding, less than 1mm probably, fixed the problem of the caliper pins not lining up properly. This side also needed a small amount of grinding on the caliper front for clearence of the wheel(machine boses). It had about a standard washer's worth of space between the wheel and the caliper.

------------------
87 GT - Poly dogbone, RD comp short shifter, Ultimate Getrag Shift Kit, No Cat, FS rear sway bar, poly suspension spring/summer 05'
87 Accord - Stock w/ dents and character

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2005 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
The swaybar has been mounted and I have moved on to the back of the car. When removing the swaybar mark one end to ensure proper installation. The pictures I've been taking covered my butt on that problem, as to on one side the hole for the endlink is kind of squared off.

Now for the rear corners.

The best method for doing this upgrade is to remove the LCR without disconecting the strut or the tie-rod. After swaping the bushings reinstall the LCR then disconnect the tie-rod, while supporting the spindle and LCR with a jack or someting stable. I used twine to also support the spindle from the lower strut bolt holes, on the spindle, to the upper strut bolt holes, on the chassis.
For the brake portion a sawzall is very handy to remove part of the original brake caliper bracket casting and a grinder to remove about 1/2 an inch off of the brake shield to clear the new rotor. Pics for this will be coming tomorrow.

aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post06-28-2005 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Delphince:

Man I love that. It's the most archaic method of working on a car.

Step 1 - Remove old part.
Step 2 - Set on fire.
Step 3 - Insert new part.

gotta go with what works I too, am a weekend pyromaniac, burining control arm bushings just for fun

http://www.exanegotium.com/EngineSwap/CradlePreparation.html

[This message has been edited by aaronrus (edited 06-28-2005).]

createnm2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2005 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for createnm2Send a Private Message to createnm2Direct Link to This Post
Due to upcoming events(getting married in one month) I had to put a rush on finishing the suspension and brakes and hold off on the cradle bushings, which kept me from being more detailed with the rest of the buildup.
Here's some pics of the rear finished.

The second pic shows the caddy parking brake lever being used. In walts instructions it says to use the fiero's lever but I believe the caddy one would be fine.
This pic shows the clearence between the caliper bracket bolt head and the rotor. It is a very tight fit and the knuckle needs to be ground down in order for the bolt head to clear.

When measuring the clearence on this keep in mind that the rotor will sit closer when it is completely torqued down when a wheel is mounted. I made this mistake and had to have the rotor lathed.
The rest of the install is pretty straight foward. Follow bleeding instructions per the chiltons/hayes manual. Then have a good alignment done. Make sure the LCR are not torqued to spec unless the car is off jackstands and sitting at normal ride height.

My final thoughts on the suspension is that is feels much tighter, but I also removed 18 year old rubber and worn out struts and shocks. The brakes feel much better, but I will definitely consider an adjustable proportioning valve to help balance the braking power. There is a much more pronounced nose dive under anything but normal braking. The pedal travel is good. In about two weeks or so I will start picking on the car post more. Until later peoples.

Will

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock