Started on: 04-25-2005 12:01 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Russ544 on 04-25-2005 09:28 PM
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post
Two major problems are encountered when using the Isuzu trans with the Northstar. the first is that the shift cables and their mounting bracket are dirrectly in line with the throttle body. the way I decided to get around this was to build a whole new bracket utilizing bellcranks to re-dirrect the cables out under the throttle body. I started with the Isuzu clutch slave bracket and added about 3" to the right and rear sides. On the right side a system of bellcranks was added. The mini ball joints used for the links are borrowed from a riding lawn mowers stearing linkage. MTD part # 923-0156. The most difficult part was making new brackets to retain the cables. As you can see from the pic it's a fairly complex setup, but I don't know any easier way to have done it that this.
The second problem area is that the top of the clutch arm hits the water manifold. By adding about 2" to the slave bracket, which extends and lowers it, then clocking the arm around on it's shaft by 15* or so, enough rotation becomes available to operate the clutch. One minor downside is that because the slave ends up with the bleader below the high point, the slave will now need to be removed in order to blead the system. two nuts.... no biggie.

brkt off

brkt on

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
a work of art Russ! now if you could mass produce...

i brought home the pull slave I plan on trying. well a core anyway. if it looks like it will work i'll buy a new one.

Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
very ingenious ..I wonder if the muncie could be reworked to fit the n* with out too much trouble. I guess I need to get a N* and find out
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
What did you do to allow the arm to be clocked to a different position on the shaft?
Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

a work of art Russ! now if you could mass produce...

i brought home the pull slave I plan on trying. well a core anyway. if it looks like it will work i'll buy a new one.

I can mass produce. they are $1,000.oo each . how many did you want?

How do you plan to set that pull slave up? I assume you'll reverse the arm so it's 180* from it's normal position? Looks like a good idea.

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 04-25-2005).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:
How do you plan to set that pull slave up? I assume you'll reverse the arm so it's 180* from it's normal position? Looks like a good idea.

my plan was to make an arm that extends laterally to the drivers side of the car without any elevation offset (that should end up being close to 90* clockwise from where it is now). attach the body side of the slave to the arm using a pivot bearing (i don't know the real name for the bearing). Then attach the piston side of the slave to the trans using another pivot bearing with threads long enough for final adjustment. the slave body will move each time you use the clutch but that should be no problem. I am hoping to use the stock fiero line with no extension but I will have to see if that can be done or not. If the slave travel is different than the stock fiero slave I will try to figure that out first then make the release arm the correct length to compensate. The only reason for putting the slave on "backwards" is to have the bleeder on the high side of the slave. I hope this description makes some sense.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by Russ544:
I can mass produce. they are $1,000.oo each . how many did you want?

must... win... lottery...

Russ544

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2005 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

very ingenious ..I wonder if the muncie could be reworked to fit the n* with out too much trouble. I guess I need to get a N* and find out

I have a couple 4 speed cars also, and from looking at them (in the car only) it apears that the cable might go under the throttle body without issue. it would be pretty close. The clutch arm appears to be a similar isue as the Isuzu, and therefore curable. The Muncie is a great trans. give it a try.

Russ

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock