Started on: 11-11-2004 07:26 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Howard_Sacks on 11-12-2004 04:00 PM
Howard_Sacks

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2004 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
There's been a good amount of interest in carbon fiber lately so I thought I'd post some pics of one of the things I've been working on:

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.
Put the carbon fiber in the mold.

Mix the resin.

Protection

More protection

Out of the mold.

Close up of the twill.

during finishing

------------------
O Mighty One

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2004 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post

Just toss the part in your vacuum bag.

Hook up the vacuum.

Pull some vacuum.

What your bag should look like if you do it right.

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Awesome! When in the process do you hook up the vacuum bag? Also, what clearcoat do you use to make sure the carbon fiber doesn't fade? Where can you buy the vacuum bag? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm really interested! Thanks!
--Bryson
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
awesome work... are you going to be producing these???

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

MikeW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MikeWSend a Private Message to MikeWDirect Link to This Post
Howard,
have you noticed your carpet in your house looking more like carbon fibers all the time or is it just me? Had to reply to this as I have car parts in the oven right now giving them a post cure. After weeks of making molds and having all kinds of fun (?) my project is starting to take shape. I've been making an air duct setup to the front brakes of the race car. Lots of re-do on prototyping. This stuff is very interesting, very messy if you sand and grind, and very itchy. I bought a good face shield and many gloves. This stuff can make splinters that are very sharp and nasty and potentially dangerous. I also bought a book on composites if iI ever read it, I can learn to do this properly. I used to want a clean room for engine assembly etc. Now I need a "dirty room" for this stuff. I've been watching a friend make bodies, pods, wings etc out of kevlar or carbon for almost 15 years. Now I'm finally hooked. I thought of carbon fiber x-mas cards for my motor head friends! The stuff cuts nicely, machines and grinds well and the finished part is fixable or can be modified easily. Styrafoam works nicely for forms (with epoxy resin only) as well as countless other things. Aircraft Spruce is a good supplier for the materials of all kinds. Also got some carbon from ebay. Still waiting for my friend to get the government ultra secret high temp epoxy used on the leading edge of fighter plane wings. I'm not holding my breath for this however. For years I wanted to make intake manifolds, need the good resin. Have fun and don't breathe the sanding dust!
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Bryson, I hook up the vacuum after I apply the resin to the dry carbon. You could also pull vacuum on dry carbon and hook up a fitting connected to a bucket of resin to do vacuum assisted RTM. We use PPG Omni. No particular reason. It's quality and not too expensive. You can get vacuum supplies from Aircraft Spruce like suggested by Mike.

Tarusthug, we are producing these. The cost is $500 + a crating and shipping fee. They are not meant to be an OEM replacement. They are lightweight and for real racers.

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 11-11-2004).]

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
Have you considered trying to take a mold of the underside and possibly do the same thing, then bond the two together? If I dive into this over next summer, I think I would try this because my car is a street car so I would like to drop a little weight off the rear end (the reason I also went with a 4cyl) and, who am I kidding, it looks really cool. I was just wondering your opinion on this. We are about to start making our carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb tub for our Formula SAE car. Have you worked with any pre-preg CF? I'm pretty excited to see how it goes, and hopefully I can get some practice making a few parts. About how much does one of those vacuum bags run? (if you don't mind me asking -- you can PM me if you would like). Thanks!
--Bryson
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
I am curious about what happened to the inside corner of the deck, where the driver's side vent goes.
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-11-2004 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply mike. The carpet thing is just you. :-) The splinters and dust are nasty. For a little bit, I was having a reaction to the resin system but for now, it went away.

The hardest part of doing this stuff is the design and mold making. Any monkey can do the lay up.

Governnent secret epoxy sounds cool.

I also like using foam for bucks and molds:

Foamula R

Bondo'd up

Ready for lay up

Originally posted by MikeW:

Howard,
have you noticed your carpet in your house looking more like carbon fibers all the time or is it just me? Had to reply to this as I have car parts in the oven right now giving them a post cure. After weeks of making molds and having all kinds of fun (?) my project is starting to take shape. I've been making an air duct setup to the front brakes of the race car. Lots of re-do on prototyping. This stuff is very interesting, very messy if you sand and grind, and very itchy. I bought a good face shield and many gloves. This stuff can make splinters that are very sharp and nasty and potentially dangerous. I also bought a book on composites if iI ever read it, I can learn to do this properly. I used to want a clean room for engine assembly etc. Now I need a "dirty room" for this stuff. I've been watching a friend make bodies, pods, wings etc out of kevlar or carbon for almost 15 years. Now I'm finally hooked. I thought of carbon fiber x-mas cards for my motor head friends! The stuff cuts nicely, machines and grinds well and the finished part is fixable or can be modified easily. Styrafoam works nicely for forms (with epoxy resin only) as well as countless other things. Aircraft Spruce is a good supplier for the materials of all kinds. Also got some carbon from ebay. Still waiting for my friend to get the government ultra secret high temp epoxy used on the leading edge of fighter plane wings. I'm not holding my breath for this however. For years I wanted to make intake manifolds, need the good resin. Have fun and don't breathe the sanding dust!

[This message has been edited by Howard_Sacks (edited 11-12-2004).]

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2004 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
Originally I had thought about doing the underside. Now I'm content with hood pins. Less weight and less work. There's no reason you couldn't do the underside for the bottom part the same way.

Formula SAE is a great experience. I really value the time I spent with my university, Drexel, doing that program. I actually just attended a lecture with Doug Milliken at my old school where about 50 FSAE kids from universities from all over the place also came.

I have worked with pre-preg. It is great for structural parts and it can also cut costs in a production environment. Wet lay up isn't that bad though. Pre-preg is not a holy grail that fixes everything.

Cost of the bag depends on the size. You can get costs for all the raw materials from aircraft spruce.

Originally posted by bryson:

Have you considered trying to take a mold of the underside and possibly do the same thing, then bond the two together? If I dive into this over next summer, I think I would try this because my car is a street car so I would like to drop a little weight off the rear end (the reason I also went with a 4cyl) and, who am I kidding, it looks really cool. I was just wondering your opinion on this. We are about to start making our carbon fiber/aluminum honeycomb tub for our Formula SAE car. Have you worked with any pre-preg CF? I'm pretty excited to see how it goes, and hopefully I can get some practice making a few parts. About how much does one of those vacuum bags run? (if you don't mind me asking -- you can PM me if you would like). Thanks!
--Bryson

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2004 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post

Howard_Sacks

1871 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Thats just how the part comes out of the mold. You can see Mike trimming that and the top of the part in a later picture.

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

I am curious about what happened to the inside corner of the deck, where the driver's side vent goes.

PFF
System Bot
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Howard_Sacks:

Thats just how the part comes out of the mold. You can see Mike trimming that and the top of the part in a later picture.

I'm talking about the yellowing on the edge inside of the trimming area. I can't remember the link to the pic where I first saw it (have it saved on my PC), but it wasn't in this thread.

Great info, BTW.

Edit: by inside, I mean not to be trimmed.

[This message has been edited by FastIndyFiero (edited 11-12-2004).]

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2004 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
These are hand made parts. Each one is a little different. There are some cosmetic flaws. It is a continuous improvement process. Each one comes out a little nicer as improvements are made to the lay up process and even the mold itself is modified. It isn't like fiberglass where you have a solid flat gel coat covering everything up. Every flaw is there.

What you might have seen was an area with a higher then normal resin content, maybe some mold release wax that wasn't completely buffed out or it might have even just been the reflection of the light.

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

I'm talking about the yellowing on the edge inside of the trimming area. I can't remember the link to the pic where I first saw it (have it saved on my PC), but it wasn't in this thread.

Great info, BTW.

Edit: by inside, I mean not to be trimmed.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock