Started on: 11-11-2004 02:12 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Ken on 11-12-2004 09:56 PM
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Some of you may know I have Corvette Heated mirrors on my Chop Top. What I am always asked if the Corvette 4th gen mirrors (1984 to 1996) are interchangeable with Fiero Mirrors. Until now I didn't know the answer, the answer is...yes and no

Because I only replaced the motor and heated glass, I never examined the two shells side by side. The shells are very similar, but there is a difference in mounting height and angle. They will not bolt on directly.

(The Fiero mirror is black and Corvette 1994 is red)

The good news is that the motors and glass are identical, (except for the heating element.) You have to cut off the connector, but they are a direct bolt on replacement for the Fiero motors and glass. I wired the heating element into the rear window defroster circuit. If I didn't have that I would just put a switch on there. I hope this helps.

- Jonathan

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (4.9 Chop-top #1 of 1), 1984 Indy...Firebird Interior Installation Website

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-11-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea. Just wondering if there are any auto dimming mirrors that would fit the Fiero housing.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If you mean the inside rear view mirror then the answer is yes. I have a Firebird Rear view mirror in my t-top. If you are referring to the mirror housings above, I don't know of any.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-11-2004).]

Flyguyeddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
why wont the corvette mirrors work in a fiero?

they look like they oughta...

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Flyguyeddy:

why wont the corvette mirrors work in a fiero?

they look like they oughta...

Says here:

Originally posted by jscott1:

The shells are very similar, but there is a difference in mounting height and angle. They will not bolt on directly.

The good news is that the motors and glass are identical, (except for the heating element.) You have to cut off the connector, but they are a direct bolt on replacement for the Fiero motors and glass.

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post
I have a 92 firebird/camaro side mirror on my 87GT. It looks just like the red one that you pictured. I also noticed that it is at a different angle and shorter where it connects. Personally, it is pretty hard to tell the difference when on the car unless you are closely examining the mirror for some reason. I thought that the 84-88 mirrors from the camaro/firebird/vette would be like the Fiero but I guess not. Mark

------------------

NIFE
silver 88GT - bone stock
blue 87GT - 3.4 roller cam, coilovers, 88 cradle swap, many other mods
www.comcast.net/~mark3340/default.htm

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting makes me wonder, Now I'll be ripping one of my mirrors apart to figure out who made them. I'll put money on Donnelly (SP?) systems. I used to work for a Rear View system manufacturer and remain friends with a quite a few Engineers. I may take a mirror into them and ask them to try and find me a match in Blue Glass or even better in Eelectrochromatic(SP?)
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
i'm liking this heated mirror idea
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastIndyFiero:

haha i guess i was too buzy looking at the pretty pictures to actually read the post

edit cause it chopped off my comment after the quote... damned computers

[This message has been edited by Flyguyeddy (edited 11-12-2004).]

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linenoise:

Very interesting makes me wonder, Now I'll be ripping one of my mirrors apart to figure out who made them. I'll put money on Donnelly (SP?) systems. I used to work for a Rear View system manufacturer and remain friends with a quite a few Engineers. I may take a mirror into them and ask them to try and find me a match in Blue Glass or even better in Eelectrochromatic(SP?)

oh man i love the blue'd mirrors at night - so much easier on the eyes when an SUV is tailing you

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Because I only replaced the motor and heated glass, I never examined the two shells side by side. The shells are very similar, but there is a difference in mounting height and angle. They will not bolt on directly.

Did you actually try them? Are the Camaro/Firebird mirrors the same housing?
They fit Dough19's car

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

They fit Dough19's car

yeah the angles all look right - just seems to sit about 1/4" closer to the door than stock fiero mirrors

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linenoise:

I already have the inside auto dimming mirror with controller for the outside mirror. So if you could find something that would work that would be way cool. I hate having to move the mirrors when someone is behind you at night.

Dough19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dough19Send a Private Message to Dough19Direct Link to This Post

They fit Dough19's car

If my car wasn't so far away right now I would take some comparison pics. I remember that when I took apart the firebird/camaro mirrors I was suprised to see that the mounting points for the motor was different and the bolts on that attach to the mirror were not in the same place as the Fiero. So I just left all of the firebird/camaro stuff in the mirror. It still plugged right in to the harness but I'm not sure if it works because my power mirror switch is broke. I only use the car for autocross and toying around in the summer so it doesn't really bother me. Mark
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

They fit Dough19's car

I don't know about F body mirrors. I did try to put red mirror on my car and the angle wasn't close enough to being right for my taste. Maybe the gasket can make up some of the difference, but my point was that it is not an exact bolt on replacement.

One other interesting note for the two mirrors above the mounting points for the motors are identical. In fact the bracket you see on the black mirror came from the red mirror. The black mirror was originally a manual one and the driver's side mirror manual and electric use the same mointing points. At least for the two mirrors above. Your results may vary.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 11-12-2004).]

Ken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KenSend a Private Message to KenDirect Link to This Post
The fallowing image may help show the differences between the Camaro and Fiero mirrors. Sorry tor the quality. The white one is the Comaro.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock