Muncie Racing transmissions! by collinwestphal
Started on: 10-21-2004 03:03 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: donk316 on 11-02-2004 03:33 PM
collinwestphal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I emailed PBS Engineering about webster gears made for the fiero 4 speed manual transmissions. Here is the reply.

Collin Westphal

PBS Eng. forwarded your request to us.

We have made a conversion for the 4 speed Fiero transaxles using straight cut spur gears with "Dog Clutch" engagement. These conversions are intended for Racing. Our design would not allow a 1st gear ratio much lower than 2.69 : 1. The other ratios are within the range we can produce. We no longer inventory these conversion kits, but will be happy to quote on a special order basis.

Thanks for your interest.
Mike Ruckman
Webster Gears Inc.
Ph: 415-388-1494
e-mail: webgears@aol.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
so what is it goning to cost?,,,,,,,,i am game
cooguyfish

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cooguyfishSend a Private Message to cooguyfishDirect Link to This Post
Yep need more info on this too.

------------------
AIM= Fish100770
My cardomain site: cardomain.com/memberpage/702872
Supporting a
Free environment, everyone do there part.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
econo gearing perhaps? if we can get a group to agree on gear ratios and get a price quote for a group buy?

still i'd expect em to run around 3K for the gears

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-21-2004).]

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2004 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I doubt any of you guys (except for maybe the ducatti guy) really wants a dogbox.
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Pardon my stupidity... but what is "dog clutch"?
nightonfire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightonfireSend a Private Message to nightonfireDirect Link to This Post
is this possible for 5 speed trannys also? second the dog clutch question
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
http://www.funkopolis.com:8080/~stuart/cobra/dog.html

the dog isn't the negative part really so much as the straight cut spur gears - this means a gear whine at all speeds just like you hear when you watch rally races on tv -- benefit is no thrust loating on the gears so the bearings last a lot longer.

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-21-2004).]

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2004 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
if you don't match in a dogbox, pretty soon you won't have gears.

Originally posted by Kohburn:

in simplified form as i understand it dogbox gears have large gear lash so you can slap it into gear without a clutch (still should match engine speeds a bit)

the dog isn't the negative part really so much as the straight cut spur gears - this means a gear whine at all speeds just like you hear when you watch rally races on tv -- benefit is no thrust loating on the gears so the bearings last a lot longer.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
"Dog engagements specifically designed using a "deep 5 dog" for fast and smooth shifting. While shifting a dog box still takes some technique, shifting is solid, and engaging the next gear is extremely easy without having to perfectly rpm match. *While full throttle shifting is this transmissions forte, double clutching during everyday use will result in quiet shifts that do not require rpm matching and will increase dog ring life. This is easy and becomes second nature in no time. "
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I replied with a few questions about the details, and gave him a link to this thread.
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2004 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I'd love taller gears in the Getrag...

I wonder how much it would cost to do a dog engagement 1-2 set... or maybe a gearset with a significantly taller dog engagement 1st and synchromesh 2nd.

------------------
Turn the key and feel the engine shake the whole car with its lope; Plant the gas pedal and feel in your chest neither a shriek nor a wail but a bellowing roar; Lift and be pushed into the harness by compression braking that only comes from the biggest cylinders while listening to music of pops and gurgles. Know that you are driving an American V8. There are finer engines made, but none of them are this cool.

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

TimGully

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimGullySend a Private Message to TimGullyDirect Link to This Post
So this would mean a completely new input shaft because gears 1 & 2 are machined into the shaft itself.

I like the idea of straight cut gears for the first 3 if they can hold up to some torque, but it'd be nice to have a quiet highway gear. For those who wonder what a straight cut gear sounds like, drive your car in reverse and listen.

Personally, I've given up on the idea of a stronger muncie. Everything in it is designed for a low horsepower engine, from case to gear width to differential size.

It would be nice to see somebody actually go through with this, but I can't see spending thousands on custom gearing and still having a weak-ish trans.

-Tim

------------------
84 Fiero, 3800SC Series II,4spd manual
12.90 @ 108.9mph

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2004 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TimGully:
For those who wonder what a straight cut gear sounds like, drive your car in reverse and listen.

Hehe... doesn't help those of us with Getrags as we have a helically cut reverse.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
and finally the reply:

To my knowledge any 4 speed transaxle can be used with our conversion kit. This "Kit" was developed in conjunction with Pontiac in 1984 for use in the Fiero's that were raced in the S. C. C. A. Trans AM series. There are no modifications necessary to the case. Pontiac offered a Transmission Case & Assy. Kit, P.N. 10042330 that was used with our conversion to build a transaxle.

To produce these Kits today would cost in the range of $3700 to $4200 each, depending on the quantity ordered.

Regards,
Mike Ruckman

TimGully

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimGullySend a Private Message to TimGullyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for checking on this. I think alot of people were curious, now we know ~gulp~ $4000 for new gears.

If they could hold 400ft/lbs & last 100k miles, It would be worth it.

Anyway, a + for checking.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
slightly cheaper than WCF's nsx trans - but its also full race gearing

might be an option for Tina

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
did they say what power level their gears were rated for ? i'd like to know what they guarantee
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
what you see is all I know.

They did have these running on 350 hp Superduty engines. That should be some testament to their strength?

donk316

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 329
User Banned

Report this Post11-02-2004 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donk316Send a Private Message to donk316Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TimGully:
Personally, I've given up on the idea of a stronger muncie. Everything in it is designed for a low horsepower engine, from case to gear width to differential size.

It would be nice to see somebody actually go through with this, but I can't see spending thousands on custom gearing and still having a weak-ish trans.

-Tim

You must be talking about something else. the fiero muncie transaxle is...dare i say...as strong if not stronger than the 'beloved' getrag tranny.

My poor little 4.10 muncie took 130,000 kms of hard shifts, REAL launches and fat tires before it finally locked up in 4th. Which I gladly swapped it out for another one without even a flinch...My motor may be only a 230hp V6 but it revs to 6500 and takes the tranny with it.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero 3.4L 4spd
www.cardomain.com/id/donk_316

[This message has been edited by donk316 (edited 11-02-2004).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock