Ground G201? by SC Coupe
Started on: 08-15-2004 09:38 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: SC Coupe on 08-16-2004 08:31 PM
SC Coupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
Can someone tell me how to find/access ground G201? The service manual describes it as "Behind Cluster" I have some grounding isssues in the instrument panel, and I'm sure I need to find, clean, and restore this ground point. Just need to find it. Any tips?

Larry

------------------

One-owner '88 coupe 188,000 miles, Daily Driver
Sharon's '86 GT, On The Road Once Again!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sanderson

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I think you're talking about the one that is just to the left of the radio/heater controls behind the console. It's about a 6" lead coming out of the main wiring harness

[This message has been edited by sanderson (edited 08-15-2004).]

SandstormGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SandstormGTSend a Private Message to SandstormGTDirect Link to This Post
If you dont mind me asking, what kind of grounding problems are you having ? Rich made a post awhile back about adding another ground and when I went to do it, my ground was gone, so I added a 2 guage ground and everything seemed to work great for quite some time but it has feel off since, when I start the car up and roll te windows down, the RPMS drop really low, when I move the transmission to reverse or drive thet RPMs stumble down for a second, so I was wondering exactly what your problems were, thanks!

~Adam

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
The ground problems I'm having are in the instrument panel. When I used a turn signal, the tachometer needle would dip to 0 every time the turn signal blinked. If I had the headlights or parking lights on, and used a turn signal, the WRONG turn sig indicator on the dash would blink. It seemed that the more electrical load on the lighting system, the worse the problem. I cleaned the grounds at each headlight and one on the mount for the steering column, and the dash is working much better now. The fuel gauge even works now!

After seeing so much improvement from cleaning grounds, I think I need to finish the job and clean ground G201 "behind cluster". After looking at the Service Manual, I think this is the key ground point for the instrument panel and all interior lighting. I'll look for it this evening after work, and let you all know what happens.

As for engine performance and grounds, I can tell you that good grounding is essential. When we bought the GT, we found that almost ALL the grounds to/from the engine had been removed by a previous owner. Here's the thread from that episode: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/052227

[This message has been edited by SC Coupe (edited 08-16-2004).]

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2004 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post

SC Coupe

987 posts
Member since Apr 2002
OK, I found it. Just had to look at the diagram a few times. G201 IS behind the radio & temp. controls, but the way to access it is from the driver's side footwell. Just stick your head where your right foot normally goes, and look towards the center of the dash behind the radio surround....there it is. There was another ground there as well. Not sure what it goes to (ammeter and oil pressure gauge?), but I cleaned it, too.

Larry

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock