Fuel Pump Pulsator....???? by caldweh
Started on: 08-13-2004 05:22 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: theogre on 08-15-2004 01:30 PM
caldweh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caldwehSend a Private Message to caldwehDirect Link to This Post
I Heard Mention Of A Pulsator On The Fuel Pump....???? I'm Not Familiar.... Someone Explain Please....Thanks In Advance
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2004 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
It's a small 2 to 3 inch metal or possibly plastic device (non electrical) with a hole through the middle and has a ruber inner core and no clamps to hold it on.It's only purpose is to reduce sound.I have a friend who's a mechanic and he says he throws those things away all the time, because the ruber changes shape causeing an internal fuel leak or reduced fuel pressure.I asked him what he uses and he says they use a ruber fuel line as a replacement.(I also use metal hose clamps).One of the main sources for a noisy fuel pump is not reinstalling the fuel tank pads,sound travels through the body sort like electricity,ruber is a good source to reduce sound,but as for the fuel tank,pads are used on the top and sides,so always remember to try and install the pads on the sides of the fuel tank (2 on each side of the tank), a couple extra on top wouldn't hurt either.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2004 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
The "pulsator" is actually design to dampen pressure pulses that occur in the fuel lines to the injector rail. These pulses are caused by the fuel pump. When these pulses get to the injectors they vvary the fuel pressure ever so slightly, altering the amount of fuel that goes through the injectors.

JazzMan

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Interesting (not a flame),I never had a fuel pump that pulses.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2004 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

Interesting (not a flame),I never had a fuel pump that pulses.

Think about it... pumps make noise, right? Noise consists of pulses. You're thinking pulsing like a heart beat pulse, but no, this is much higher frequency and lower amplitude, but nonetheless pulses in pressure. Think of it as pressure waves in the fuel line.

JazzMan

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I left the pulsator out when I did my Quad 4 swap. Before starting the engine the first time I ran the fuel pump with a test gauge on the rail. The pressure was rock steady at 43 psig so I doubt that the injectors are being effected much.
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
Anytime you buy a replacement fuel pump module they always come with a section of hose to replace the pulsator. Most technicians will tell you to throw them away and install a rubber hose because the pulsators can cause problems. The parts house I use to work at, they recalled those pulsators because they weren't selling, we had 25 on the shelf and they all had a thick coating of dust on them.
Most fuel pumps aren't the solenoid type, so there really shouldn't be that much pulsing. Most of them are designed like a water pump with vanes that actually push the fuel.
jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Jazzman,

I'm not buying that. The rubber lines in the fuel system would be more than enough to keep any minor pressure variations controlled, not to mention the standing fuel in the filter AND the element itself would dampen a good bit of any pressure variations. The reason it's there is to keep the noise from being transmitted through the metal fuel lines and outside the tank, IMHO. I generally throw them away and replace with good, FI line and two clamps and have never had a problem.

John Stricker

Originally posted by JazzMan:

The "pulsator" is actually design to dampen pressure pulses that occur in the fuel lines to the injector rail. These pulses are caused by the fuel pump. When these pulses get to the injectors they vvary the fuel pressure ever so slightly, altering the amount of fuel that goes through the injectors.

JazzMan

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 02:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
The engine will run with or without a pulsator. Most people and parts guys do not even know the purpose of the part (as evidanced by the pulsators never selling, you should replace it whenever you replace the pump). It is a simple shock absorber for the fuel system, it helps absorb noise and vibration. It can be replaced with a hose, but the hose that many people generally use is rubber and not silicone like the pulsator is made out of, so the life on the hose is less than the life of the pulsator (but is still likely to last years). The hose piece that often comes with the new pump is there for use in cars that do not have the pulsator, this was considered to be the lower cars to GM, the higher end cars usually always had a pulsator from the factory. I can remember many bullitens fron the 80's that were addressing noise complaints. Several had you remove the factory hose and install the pulsator.

I have always found it odd that anyone would remove a part that was there to fix complaints and downgrade the design in doing so. Personally, I have never known a drivability tech that is knowledged in GM cars that recomended removing a pulsator.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Now I know what the little piece of hose and 2 clamps were for, when I got a new fuelpump! I just reused the old pulsator.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-15-2004 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jstricker:

Jazzman,

I'm not buying that. The rubber lines in the fuel system would be more than enough to keep any minor pressure variations controlled, not to mention the standing fuel in the filter AND the element itself would dampen a good bit of any pressure variations. The reason it's there is to keep the noise from being transmitted through the metal fuel lines and outside the tank, IMHO. I generally throw them away and replace with good, FI line and two clamps and have never had a problem.

John Stricker

I remember reading about the pressure waves somewhere a couple of years back but can't find the original article. I'll keep looking and if I find it I'll post it here.

JazzMan

PFF
System Bot
Great88Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Great88FieroClick Here to visit Great88Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Great88FieroDirect Link to This Post
For those of you not sure about a fuel pump assembly and where the pulsator is, here is an example out of my Grand Prix...

------------------
Ben
1986 Buick Regal T-Type
1993 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.4L DOHC
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
1971 Chevy Caprice 4dr Htp
1991 Chevy S-10 2wd LB

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2004 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If you want to know what a pulsator does... look up a "hammer stop" in the residential/comercial plumbing world. Describing them as a shock absorber for the fuel system is fairly acurate. (Installing hammer stops on the back of your washing machine will make the fill hoses and valves last longer. If you can't fit them there, put them at the wall end of the hoses.)

Some vehicles have it near the pump, others put them up on the fuel rail. Some may have them both places. It serves to reduce vibration in the system from both the pump and the injectors. Pulsators are common on many high pressure systems. Low pressure systems may also have them on some vehicles.

On cars that have them in the tank like Fiero, the Pulsator should be replaced when the pump is replaced.

The fuel flow from the pump isn't perfectly smooth with Fiero type pumps. I'm pretty sure they are Positive Displacement gear pumps more akin to the engine oil pump. They are not centrifugal pumps like most well water pumps. Centrifugal pumps that size can't make the 50-70 PSI needed for most systems without spinning at very high RPM. (Remember the pump has to be able to make more pressure and flow than the engine actually needs. The regulator's job is to manage the actual rail pressure.)

We all know GM, and every other car maker, is cheap... Do you really think they would spend the dollar per car these probably cost them if they didn't feel they have to?

Do pulsators fail? duh. All fuel system parts wear out. That is why they should be replaced, not reused, when the pump is replaced. Replacing them with hose is not the same thing. Will using a simple hose cause problems? hard to say. It could increase noise from the tank considerably and being where Fiero tanks are that usually isn't a good thing. Complaints about pump noise are fairly common in the forums.

------------------
The only thing George Orwell got wrong was the year.

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock