Started on: 08-08-2004 09:17 AM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Jeremiah on 08-11-2004 09:22 AM
Jeremiah

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
For those of you with the V6s with trunk fans that blow onto the starter and alternator could you take some pics of this buisness for me? I dont undrestand how the fan can be attached to the trunk and how these ducts work.

A pemanant plus would be sure to follow all fine photos.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Here you go. It's stuffed in the passenger side of the trunk, under the carpeting.
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
In this picture, the red arrow is pointing to the pipe that blows onto the coil, the blue is pointing to the end of the alternator pipe.

The alternator ducting is too low to be seen in this shot, but you can see the coil pipe.

[This message has been edited by GT86 (edited 08-08-2004).]

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Wow, thanks guys. You both have pluses already, of course... but I appreciate it. I wonder how I'm going to run that fan though my '84 trunk space and those ducts. Are they bolted on? Would such an addition be major surgery to the trunk? (You dont think i would have to pull anything to run some of that duct work, do you?)
GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Credit for this picture goes to Toddster, I found it in his "Objective-Free Fiero GT" thread. It shows the ducting that goes under the trunk carpet, as well as the pipes that are attached to it.

I would imagine that you'd have to drill holes to mount it in an 84. Doesn't look like it would be too hard, though. It's a pretty simple-looking setup. And it's wired to come on whenever the radiator fan kicks on.

Just FYI, a lot of people have said this fan set-up isn't needed, and usually point to the fact that the 88's didn't use it. But the 88's had different heat shielding. My own opinion is that cooler air blowing on the alt and coil can't hurt. Yes, the setup does use a bit of trunk space, it adds a litle weight, and it does consume power. To me, it's worth it to keep the engine comartment a little cooler.

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2004 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... but where does the fan plug into? I guess that's the question for right now. Everything in my car SHOULD have come out of an 87.
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Part of the tail light wiring harness in the GT's is the wiring for the fan. All it is is a couple of wires coming from the fan relay in the front of the car and going to the fan motor in the trunk. If you want to go stock, you need a GT tail light wiring harness. Or, you can run some wires yourself if you get a good wiring diagram and have a lot of spare time to run the wires.
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
i have all of the ducting for sale if you would like. I dont need it with my engine swap and it was removed to save weight.
Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Does this mean this fan wasn't avaliavel in the coupe?

Originally posted by Fastback 86:

Part of the tail light wiring harness in the GT's is the wiring for the fan. All it is is a couple of wires coming from the fan relay in the front of the car and going to the fan motor in the trunk. If you want to go stock, you need a GT tail light wiring harness. Or, you can run some wires yourself if you get a good wiring diagram and have a lot of spare time to run the wires.

dguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jeremiah:

Does this mean this fan wasn't avaliavel in the coupe?

No it doesn't. The engine compartment blower was present in all 85-87 V6-equipped cars, regardless of body style.

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
What would you venture to guess the weight of this whole thing to be? 20 pounds or so? Maybe?
PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
The plastic ducting and metal tubes don't weigh anything. The fan itself weighs a few pounds. So all in all, probably less than 20lbs.

And like he said, it only came on V6 cars.

Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
I have the Two Tubes and the Shield that will be for sale soon. They are to Powder Coated Fiero Red and will Dress up the engine compartment quiet nicely. I also have the Coil, Crossover Pipe and Auto Shifter Heat Shields for sale in Red also. Kinda Nice having a 4cyl

------------------
4.9 Caddy in Garage! Car in Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 08-09-2004).]

crouyer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crouyerSend a Private Message to crouyerDirect Link to This Post
is the blower really effective does it really help?
KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Hi!

Wow it has been a long time since I have posted on this board.

In my opinion, no the fan doesn't really do anything. For evidence: why is it not in the 88's?

I have an 86 that I removed it from, it is my daily drive and has been for the better part of a year with no ill iffects at all. I have even taken it on long trips (excess of 500 miles nonstop) with no problems.

Most of my driving is done in stop and go traffic, with outside air temps exceeding 90 degree's. still no problems.

I just blocked off the holes w/some sheet metal and a few rivets.

------------------
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

- Robin Williams

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KlingonFiero:

Hi!

In my opinion, no the fan doesn't really do anything. For evidence: why is it not in the 88's?

I have an 86 that I removed it from, it is my daily drive and has been for the better part of a year with no ill iffects at all. I have even taken it on long trips (excess of 500 miles nonstop) with no problems.

Most of my driving is done in stop and go traffic, with outside air temps exceeding 90 degree's. still no problems.

i did this on my last fiero and found that the alternator dies in about a year or two -

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post
Okay, but how old was your alt?
Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 02:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post

Hi!

Difference is that the '88s have a different heat shield for the Alternator. On the '88s, the heat shield is mounted to the exhaust manifold. On the pre-88s, the heat shield is mounted to the alternator itself, putting it in thermal contact with the Alt. If you ditch the blower like I did, use the '88 heat shield. Also not a bad idea to upgrade to an Alt. with an internal cooling fan. One of those will last much longer.

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Well, given the amount of heat that is emitted right next to the alt, I think it might be a good idea for me to try to stick one in. I wonder how easy it will be in an '84 with a V6 converstion though.

Let me get this: You remove the premolded trunk carpet and insert the duct work? Is the trunk carpet molded differently to compensate for this blower?

GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Is the trunk carpet molded differently to compensate for this blower?

Yep, the carpet is different. Too bad, really, 'cause I found an 84 a few months ago in a junk yard that had that nice 84-only black carpet. But it wouldn't have worked in my GT, because of the ducting. I debated at the time ditching the blower, because I really liked the look of the black carpet. But then I remembered what a pain it was to replace a bad alternator in a Fiero, and so I left the blower where it was .

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroDirect Link to This Post

Let me get this: You remove the premolded trunk carpet and insert the duct work? Is the trunk carpet molded differently to compensate for this blower?

It's still not that easy to put the cooling fan and ductwork into an 84. The metal bracing where you are going to need to run the ductwork is different from 85-87. It will also take some work to put the fan assembly in the trunk. I would reccomend hitting a j/y and checking out how it is attached. take along some good paper/cardboard to make a template of the cutouts for the fan. the fan gets it's cool air from the rear fender/bumber area.

Since you are putting a V6 in an 84 (yes I have done this myself) it shouldn't be too difficult to manage the above.

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2004 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Okay, but how old was your alt?

went through 3 of em.. well thats a lie - i went through 3 regulators.. i replaced them since the alternator itself was ok

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2004 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
Too bad you live in Colorado then

It's still not that easy to put the cooling fan and ductwork into an 84. The metal bracing where you are going to need to run the ductwork is different from 85-87. It will also take some work to put the fan assembly in the trunk. I would reccomend hitting a j/y and checking out how it is attached. take along some good paper/cardboard to make a template of the cutouts for the fan. the fan gets it's cool air from the rear fender/bumber area.

Since you are putting a V6 in an 84 (yes I have done this myself) it shouldn't be too difficult to manage the above.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock