spec clutch problem by joshua riedl
Started on: 07-25-2004 05:51 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: joshua riedl on 07-28-2004 10:32 AM
joshua riedl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i burned the clutch in my 3.4 TDC formula and ordered the stage 2/3 hybrid. after getting the car back together, still on the stand, i let the clutch out and heard a loud squeel/grind. it was horrible, i can't really explain. so i grabbed some lunch and proceded to pull the trans again, much faster the second time around. i noticed the throw out bearing was melted on the center hub. i read a recent post about installing the disk wrong but i was pretty sure i didn't do that. i pulled the pressure plate anyway and i compared the new disk to the original and what seems to have happened is the center hub is installed backward in the disk. the original has a nub facing the flywheel and is smooth with disk on the pressure plate side. the spec however sticks out on the pressure plate side and that seems to be what was hitting the throw out bearing. this just happened so i'll call them tomorrow and see what happens. hopefully they warranty it but i know it can be hard getting used parts warranteed. hopefully it will give someone fair warning to compare their new clutch or if anyone thinks i screwed up please let me know before i call them and make an ass of myself.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
If I am understanding you correctly the raised side of the clutch usually marked flywheel goes to the fly wheel sounds like you turned it backwards.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i had the raised side towards the flywheel but the center splined part sticks out even farther where on the stock clutch it is flush. i wish i had a way to post pics to show it. i'm really kind or nervous to see what they say.
fieromadman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2004 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
dude, i got the same clutch, are you sure you put in the throw out bearing right?
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
yeah the throw out bearing is right. i called them this morning. i need to take some pictures and send them to them. i'll do that when i get to work and then i can post them here maybe. i've showed it to a few people and it is plainly obvious that it isn't right. when i ran the engine i got a code 43 spark knock. hopefully it was just picking up the squeel from the throw out bearing and nothing else got recked. the whole thing has me a little stressed.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like the disk was installed backwards.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
yeah if its not throw out bearing the disk is probalbly installed backwards..
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
looking back i see i worded it wrong. the raised side was towards the pressure plate. the disk sat flush up to the flywheel. so i really don't think it was backwards. the bearing was locked into the tabs on the release fork just like the one i took off. i will get some pictures soon and show what it looks like.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Was it the correct T/O bearing? Any Fiero clutch will fit any Fiero tranny, but the T/O bearing MUST match the tranny.

------------------
1986 SE 350 V8

joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
it looked like the same throw out bearing to me but it's hard to tell now. it's a little melted and cracked. i have pictures now but i can't seem to send them to spec. i'll call in the morning and figure it out. i'm pretty sure i either got the wrong disk or they installed the center hub backwards. if i lay the stock one in the table flywheel down the splined hub keeps the disk off the table but the spec clutch lays flat on the table. then flipping it the other way the stock one will rest on the springs while the spec is held up another half inch by the splined hub. now the important question. it had enough pressure to melt the throw out bearing, what did it do to my crank bearings?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I had the exact same problem when I installed my Spec clutch. I wound up buying another T.O. bearing and swapping that in. It looked identical to what I received with my Spec clutch, but I had no problems afterward. Maybe it was a bad T.O. bearing "out of the box".

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - August 1, 2004 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2003 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

PFF
System Bot
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
i got the pictures sent to spec and they are sending me a new clutch. pretty nice guys too. it's still a pain in the butt though. on the bright side i've been searching for new engines in case this one got wrecked and 3800sc are pretty cheap.
fieromadman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2004 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromadmanClick Here to visit fieromadman's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieromadmanDirect Link to This Post
so josh, you should look at my thread about the waterpump.
brian89gp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2004 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for brian89gpClick Here to visit brian89gp's HomePageSend a Private Message to brian89gpDirect Link to This Post
I've had Clutchnet assemble the disc wrong, like you described. They didn't think it made a difference so I wouldn't doubt if Spec could have made the same mistake.
joshua riedl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshua riedlSend a Private Message to joshua riedlDirect Link to This Post
did you catch it before you installed it? if not was your engine ok?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock