Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  KFG headers cracked! (pictures) (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
KFG headers cracked! (pictures) by anthony_86gt
Started on: 05-24-2004 05:00 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: alienfiero on 09-03-2004 09:46 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
In addition the motor mounts check this. I don't have the time to read all the replys, so this may be a dup, but anyway. Those welds don't look poorly done, you may indeed have some kind of a stress problem there. Put each header flange-side down on a very flat sheet of heavy steel and I suspect that you see light somewhere. If it is warped even a little, when you bolt it to the head, you'll you will stress the hell out of those welds. To fix it, have them put on a large belt sander and then bolt them to an old head before welding the cracks. Let them cool and then check the flange again and belt sand again if they're still not flat. While this is not the case in your stituation, it may apply to others. The front side of the engine lids often aloow rain to drip on hot headers. When that happens it can and usually will weaken the header. It will even cause your cermic coating to come off if you have any. I had it happen to the front header we made. I've since install a gutter (for want of a beeter word) and redid my header. No more water on the header. If you get a lot of steam when you start your car on a rainy day, it's happening to you too. Somebody makes one of the things, he's posted here somewhere.
IP: Logged
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
It's hard to tell by the pictures,but I cant see any grooves cut into the brackets.I would say the bozo employee went to lunch came back and forgot what he was doing leaveing out the expansion joint.
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Just a little update for everyone. I now have the Sprint headers on the car. I've had them on for a couple of months now with absolutely no problems, and they still look perfect. As for my engine and tranny mounts they are all new. I had a new engine put in 2 years ago and had all that replaced, and im also using poly for the dogbone. I'm just glad to see that a lot of people have seen what i went through and hopefully no one else has to deal with this.
alienfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alienfieroSend a Private Message to alienfieroDirect Link to This Post
With any mig, tig welding you have to stress releave the weld or it will crack.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock