Diesel Fiero?! by Michelhaugh
Started on: 04-03-2003 04:38 PM
Replies: 108
Last post by: Kitten on 10-21-2004 09:42 AM
Michelhaugh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2003 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Well CRAP!!! I guess it is back to the drawing board. I removed the alternator bolt that was sticking into the dogbone brace to the strut tower and that allowed the engine to settle into it's normal resting position and the alt. pulley hits the brace now. So I removed the alternator to make sure the decklid would close and the air cond compressor and bracket are in the way of the hinge.
I guess I will be modifying the brackets and belts to make everything fit instead of modifying the decklid. It looks like I will have to find a smaller diameter alternator, probably the one off of the 4 cyl and a smaller diameter air cond compressor too, maybe the one off of the 4 cyl too.

I will have to make all new brackets for everything.

I guess that I won't be driving it this week...

Rick M.

IP: Logged
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Well I've gotten the accessory brackets and dogbone modifications almost done. I've got the air cond compressor from the 4 cyl mounted and the original alternator mounted, the alternator bracket modified to connect to the dogbone. Just a little more welding to make sure the brackets are solid and well braced and get a belt to fit(crossing my fingers), connect the coolant line, etc. and it should be ready to fire up inside the car!!

Didn't get much done this weekend because I had other things to do.

Later Guys.

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 10-01-2003).]

Scott-Wa

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
glad to hear your making progress.

How are you handling the fuel system swap? Venting and fuel pressures are quite different between the gas and diesel applications. You do NOT want to have any gasoline in the tank left over if your planning on using the original tank. Are you swapping that stuff from the donor car?

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I saved the sending unit/pickup assembly from the diesel car. I removed the fuel pump from the fiero assembly and added the 'water in fuel' detector and fuel pickup tube and screen from the diesel assembly. Now I have to disconnect the wire that powered the fuel pump from the power source and connect it to my 'Water in fuel' light that I installed in my instrument panel.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
if All this goes down well id have to give props, best swap story ive ever heard.

Are you expecting about 150HP and 300ft/lbs? maybe 40MPG as well.

matthew

Dewie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2003 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DewieClick Here to visit Dewie's HomePageSend a Private Message to DewieDirect Link to This Post
How is this progressing?

------------------

http://dewie.no-ip.com

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
It's progressing a little slowly. The wife and Ohio State and Univ of Tenn football have sort of shot my Saturdays lately.

I have 3 things left to do before I take her for a spin; the auto tranny shifter cable, the throttle cable, about 10 wires.

So close yet so far...

Hopefully get the wires done this week. Then attack the cables this weekend.

I'll keep you all posted.

Rick M.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Hooray!!! It runs!! (as if there were any doubt) I started driving it this weekend. I still have a couple things to do but I can drive it.!!!!

When I first started it it smoked like crazy then the smoke slowly quit and it is fine now. I was afraid I had lost a head gasket and was sucking antifreeze. Luckily not. I would have really been upset.

I won't know what kind of fuel mileage that I'm getting for a couple of weeks or a month depending on how long a tank lasts!
It sound good, starts easily. I'm really pleased.

I've got regular 12v glow plugs in it so it takes about 7 secs for them to warm up before I hit the key to start it.

It is just as spunky as the original 4 cylinder gas engine, maybe even a little peppier!

Hey CoolBlueGT, I will be ready for a long road trip in a couple of months, maybe my wife and I will drive it down to FL and see you.

I'd better go now. Later guys.

DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Pictures!!!
This has got to be the most original thing I have heard of yet...TD....Fiero.....???

When are you planning on putting a turbo in?

------------------
<Black 86.5 GT, Auto w/ 3.33, Sunroof>
<2.5" Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N Filter and no rain guard>
<Yokohama 215/60R15 Tires, CS130 140 Amp Alternator>
<Pioneer DEH-P77DH, Pioneer 4X10's in dash>

ManiMack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ManiMackSend a Private Message to ManiMackDirect Link to This Post
Everyone will just think you have a duke when your driving around. The early 4cyl fieros already sound like diesels.

Congrats on the swap. You have one of the more unique fieros here now....

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
GOOD JOB
Could you post some pictures I would love to see it.
PFF
System Bot
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I was working on my Diesel Fiero last night. As I said before the diesel was a little peepier than the old 4 cyl. I had expected it to be more than it was. Last night I found that I had neclected to connect the TV cable from the transmission to the throttle arm, duh.

It is much PEPPIER now since it actually kicks down when I push the pedal. It marched right up the hills around here just fine but now I can accelerate up them! What a difference!

I got my throttle cable modified to fit and it works great. I still have to get the Torque converter clutch controls worked out. The manual shows the schematic but none of the terminals are numbered on the drawing nor on the unit. The 3 of the 5 wires have different colors than the manual shows. I carefully took apart the controller last night and was able to figure out which wire was which. So now I can get it wired up properly. I didn't want to mix up the wires and blow the circuitry in the module!

I hope to get my roll of film finished this weekend and developed with a CD of digital pictures, so I'll have some pictures to post soon. Thanks for being patient with my lack of pictures, guys.

Later Guys.

Dewie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DewieClick Here to visit Dewie's HomePageSend a Private Message to DewieDirect Link to This Post
EXCELLENT - I am glad to hear the engine is finally up and running. I will be curious to see what kind of fuel mileage you get - might be an idea to rig up for a long haul sometime down to the US - not looking at racing - so Fuel Mileage is always a plus
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I got the Torque convertor clutch wiring done this weekend. I took it for a spin and it DIDN'T WORK!. I must be missing something about the control module. It seems pretty simple +12v coming from a brake pedal switch to a relay that goes to the TCC solenoid that goes to a switch inside the trans that closes above 40 mph. The module has 3 more wires one to the trans to an internal switch that closes to ground in 3rd gear, one to a wide open throttle switch to ground which opens on WOT and one to the AC circuit that closes to ground when the AC pressure is high. I left the AC wire disconnected since it looks like grounding it unlocks the TCC and I don't have the AC wired up yet. Hmmm. maybe I need to hold the AC wire to +12v.

I jumpered the relay wires and it locked up at 40+ mph so the Lockup itself does work. The module might be sick?! I guess I'll do some more figuring when I get home tonight.

BTW guys, YES the diesel is noisier by quite a bit when you are looking under the hood with it running but from inside the car it isn't too bad at all. I had to get rid of the engine compartment insulation which was in bad shape and it still isn't too bad. Of course I like the sound of a diesel too.

Later,
Rick

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I checked the schematics again last night and the wire that goes to the AC circuit actually goes to the high speed radiator fan circuit. There are 2 switches that can turn on the high speed radiator fan the High pressure AC switch and the High coolant temp switch This wire that I'm trying to figure out is at +12 until the AC pressure switch or the high coolant temp switch closes to ground. I will connect it up tonight to the High coolant temp switch circuit and that should make it work as GM designed it!

While I was taking apart the console to work on the accel cable and wiring, I discovered the big plastic 'inner' console plastic part is crumbling. Almost all of the screw holes are busted from the AC controls to the radio to the ones in the back by the computer. Boo...

I think I will install a shift kit in this transmission. (a 'one of these days' project)I put one in my wife's Fiero a couple of years ago and it shifts much better. I didn't do anything to this trans before I installed the engine/trans.

Later guys

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michelhaugh:

While I was taking apart the console to work on the accel cable and wiring, I discovered the big plastic 'inner' console plastic part is crumbling. Almost all of the screw holes are busted from the AC controls to the radio to the ones in the back by the computer. Boo...

Later guys

I am really sitting on the edge of my chair waiting to see pics. You get a + for thinking outside of the box and for being creative In regards to the skeleton crumbling, it is not uncommon. I found plastic weld to work great to repair the holes.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043281.html

I just repaired mine this past weekend.

jim123185

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2003 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim123185Send a Private Message to jim123185Direct Link to This Post
bump

I wanna see some pictures!

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Please keep us posted on the Torque Convertor wiring and switches... Thanks Mark
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I thought I had the TCC module figured out. I connected the AC/Coolant fan wire to +12 and it didn't change a thing, the TCC still doesn't kick in. I guess I will pull the cover off and draw a schematic from the circuit board(fun, fun) and try to figure out what it is really supposed to be doing.

I'll post the schematic when I get it drawn out and see if anyone can help figure out what it is really supposed to do. The shop manual describes what the other wires (and switches)do but not what this wire does!!

Wish me luck.

Rick

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
OK guys, how do I post my pictures?
LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Congratulations on you swap...... Fun to do something different isn't it . Look down at the bottom of the page pennocks image poster. You are going to have to open up the filler neck, or you won't be able to fill it up. 7 sec for the glow plugs is good. Up hear in IL. It takes me 30 and that is with the block heater plugged in Lol try about 60 without. My diesel is a love hate relationship. Love the low maintnence, and high mileage. Hate the smell, noise, and finding a station with diesel. On the plus to when gas prices go through the roof in the summer the diesel prices don't move much. Good luck with your car. Oh you are just breaking yours in too try 243,000 in my datson

------------------
LS1 v8 T-Top 87 GT

http://www.acxunlimited.com/ls1swap.htm

[This message has been edited by LS1swap (edited 11-23-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Dewie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DewieClick Here to visit Dewie's HomePageSend a Private Message to DewieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Michelhaugh:

OK guys, how do I post my pictures?

There are a few different Methods. I believe there is some type of program out there that allows you to post them to this server, or you can upload them to a webpage server. There are also a few people (like myself) that will post the pictures on our own webservers for you - all you have to do is e-mail the pictures and we'll send you the links to the pictures.

------------------

http://dewie.no-ip.com

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
I weighed my Fiero on a truck scale before and after. The truck scale goes up in 20 pound increments but that should be close enough. No passengers, and unsure of how much fuel was in at the times.
Before
Front Rear Total
1140 1500 2640

After
1120 1660 2780

So it now weighs about 140 more. Not too bad, the guys that are putting V8s into Fieros have about the same weight gain don't they.

Rick

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
OK guys, you have been wanting some pictures!!

I just took my roll of film to be developed and put on a CD. I will have some pictures in a few days.

Rick

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Finally got the PICTURES done. An acquaintance created a web site and posted some pictures and my conversion story.

The address is http://members.tripod.com/~A350Diesel/dieselfiero.html

He wasn't able to post all of the pictures and I can't get pennock picture poster to work, it says my pictures are too wide or something like that. Help appreciated if you want more pics.

Rick M.

BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBDirect Link to This Post
Dang, bandwidth limit exceeded. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing the pictures. Good job on the swap btw.

Brad

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Bandwith exceeded....
Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
worked for me
Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post

Slater_334

1652 posts
Member since Oct 2003
looks awsome and like it was factory. will you show it? what are your plans fir it?
LeeM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeMSend a Private Message to LeeMDirect Link to This Post
Found in St.Louis,Mo. Diesel Power'ed Fiero. Unknown if it was running or not.
LeeM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeeMSend a Private Message to LeeMDirect Link to This Post

LeeM

57 posts
Member since Nov 2003
Try this again.

PFF
System Bot
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
RRRR bandwidth exceeded. I was really lookin forward to seeing how it looked in there. Hope ya get it fixed soon!
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2004 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
That is really freaky!! Somebody else did this too.??? I was planning on painting mine yellow and black in the spring.!! I was going to name mine the 'Rumble Bee' with a little Bee logo somewhere.

Where in St Louis? address?

This guy has good taste, too!

Rick M.

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Hey LeeM,

Will you be able to get the address for the St Louis Diesel Fiero?
I'd really like to talk to the guy.

Anybody in MO have a police friend who could look up the license plate?

Thanks,

Rick M

84se-Stock

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84se-StockSend a Private Message to 84se-StockDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap...is this thread still going. Interested in seeing any progress with this discussion.
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
So what kind of gas mileage do you get with your car now?
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2004 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Last tank I got 30 mpg city.
Last trip I got 38+ mpg highway.

With the old 4 cyl gas engine,
I was getting 24-25 city and 32-33 highway.

That's 50 miles longer range now!!

Pretty good hey!

Rick M.

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 01-12-2004).]

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Can anyone lookup the owner's name and address for the yellow diesel Fiero pictured in previous post.
Missouri license plate "TELFIX"?

Thanks,

Rick M.

[This message has been edited by Michelhaugh (edited 01-14-2004).]

Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2004 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Any help on looking up the owner of this Diesel Fiero in Missouri?
Michelhaugh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2004 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MichelhaughClick Here to visit Michelhaugh's HomePageSend a Private Message to MichelhaughDirect Link to This Post
Well, for you who were at the Daytone Meet, what do you think of my DieselFiero?!!

All comments welcome.

I hope to get it painted this summer, so it should look a lot better next year.

I hope to go to the Fiero Swap Meet in Alabama next month, see you there.

Rick M. (alias DieselFiero)

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock