Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  As promised, cheap recessed lights with pics.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

As promised, cheap recessed lights with pics. by Arns85GT
Started on: 06-05-2004 06:35 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Arns85GT on 06-07-2004 12:29 PM
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Well, it took a few months, but I finally got things installed. I guess I was too busy with my porting, custom exhaust, new intake, carb, fuel regulator, wheels, tires, wiring, etc.etc.

Making recessed lights is not rocket science.

Here is the product and you will notice I have not put in the sub liner yet, so I could take the pics.

The subliner is simply aluminum sheeting, painted black, and bent to the shape required, and then glued in place with either epoxy or gasket silicone.

Notice the rubber strips around the perimeter of the opening. They are recessed about 1/8" to allow me to silicone in the LEXAN covers.

Also note the existing wires have not been destroyed. I have tied in with simple electrical locking joiners so that I can re-install the pop-ups for any future owner.

Here they are, on the dining room floor before installation. Note the lights are driving lamps of the cheap variety, and you can get as expensive as your wallet will allow. They mount on a single swivel pedestal for really easy aiming.

Here they are in the car with the LEXAN in place. (the car is dirty so don't comment)

The rubber strips are simply self-sticking weather stripping. I then laid down black silicone on the rubber and stuck the LEXAN down.

Again you will see I did not put in the liner yet but I will do that last, after the lights are aimed.

The bracket is easy. You buy a 2 pieces of sheet aluminum, 8" X 10", 1/8" thick at your metal supply store and get them to brake the pieces into 90* as directed. You will then need a ruler, a drill, a jig saw, a good metal file & rat-tail file, and some electrical quick-connects, and the usual wrenches etc.

Below is the template which was traced off the outside of the finished product.

You just have to print it, ensuring that the inside of the black lines at the corners is 10" X 8".

This is the pattern.

This whole project is under $75 USD.

I hope you have fun with it.

Arn

------------------
Arn Brown,

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Very cool!

Regarding the covers, just remember that the regular headlight doors like to fly open at high speed, due to pressure building up under the hood. I'd hate for one of your lexan covers to fly off.

STRATOHACKER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for STRATOHACKERSend a Private Message to STRATOHACKERDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Arn's. You have certainly been busy

------------------

85 GT 4-speed
3.4 pushrod, 390 Holley carb, Edlebrock intake, MSD 6A ignition. 04 Gran Prix exhaust tips, Ported manifolds and lots more to go.
Richey

ace35

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post
Very nice. Plus! Any pics with it further away? Like more of the car in view.

Thanks,
Nate

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the good words.

Yes I have a pic with the whole car in view and yes the car was filthy. No you can't see it.

Regarding things flying up at speed. You have to remember that the original doors are simply spring loaded, and not too strong at that.

These doors are siliconed down. Very much less likely to move.

In addition, when you add the lower casement or liner, it forms a windbreak if you will. In other words, not much volume of air can push all the way around. Engine silicone is pretty strong stuff.

If it comes off, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

I also did not get tinted LEXAN. I could have, and I may do down the road.

Cheers,

Arn

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2004 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Arn might have to look into doing the same only with Geo Storm lights.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2004 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Good idea Master Tuner

If I had a set of Geo Storm lights available at a decent price, I would have used them for the DOT rating if nothing else. I found in looking at most lighting assemblies in the yard, that they were rather deep and a little tighter to fit.

Good luck. I hope you can find a set.

Arn

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Master Tuner Akimoto:

Nice work Arn might have to look into doing the same only with Geo Storm lights.

storm (camaro, grand prix, cutlass) lights (4351 & 4352) are too wide. you'll have to stagger them or enlarge the opening.https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045007.html

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 06-06-2004).]

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Beautiful job ... especially with posting all the info including the template !!
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Direct Link to This Post
What would be a good light to use with this mod? Most of the auto parts stores sell cheep driving lights around here, they do not have a pattern so that you can adjust the lights so that they are any good for night driving.
ace35

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace35Send a Private Message to ace35Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Thanks for the good words.

Yes I have a pic with the whole car in view and yes the car was filthy. No you can't see it.

PPPPLLLEEEASAASSEEE! I'll keep it a secret, I PROMISE!

PFF
System Bot
Caladin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaladinSend a Private Message to CaladinDirect Link to This Post
Awesome I was planning on making some this summer so your pattern will be a big help with that.
A + for you!
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i dont like the look of flush mounts but i give you a + for the info.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

i dont like the look of flush mounts but i give you a + for the info.

Actually, I don't disagree.

I like the look of the peek-aboo headlights when they are down, but I hate the look and the performance when they are up.

I really hate when they go up and won't come down, or malfunction so you have to drive around with geeky looking pop's during the day.

I am also lazy. So I don't want to fix them.

Regarding the driving light issue, Go on Ebay and look for Halogen lights. There are some really good ones which mount the same.

Arn

gumert

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2004 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gumertSend a Private Message to gumertDirect Link to This Post

I really hate when they go up and won't come down, or malfunction so you have to drive around with geeky looking pop's during the day.

I am also lazy. So I don't want to fix them.

My god, you just described me perfectly. I have stuck headlights (which look really tacky and earn me lots of rude comments from my friends) and I'm generally too lazy to do anything about it.

I've been waiting for this guy to get back to me about his kit, but due to lack of e-mailage I think I will try your approach.

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2004 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Wow I dont remember your user name in my Emails you can call me direct at 574-255-7843 plus I just got out of the Hospital a couple weeks ago from a heart attack so Im sorry if I have not returned your mail, thanks Norm from www.normsfiberglass.com
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2004 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Norm :
Glad to see you're back, stick to the pace the cardio gives ya (@ least try) eat lotsa rabbit food, stick around awhile we need your balance in the fiero community. Best fortune in your recovery, stronger too I hope.

another Norm

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 06-07-2004).]

normsf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2004 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for normsfClick Here to visit normsf's HomePageSend a Private Message to normsfDirect Link to This Post
Hello Norm. Thankyou very much for the kind words, didnt mean to hijack the thread since he did do a lot of work to make the lights and I know how much effort goes onto a project like this. thanks again Norm, and we need more Norms LOL.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2004 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Actually, Norm makes a good product and a good looker.

This string is dedicated to the guys who like to do their own mods and are on a budget.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock