Need to find out tire size availability for Stock GT 15" rims by AGDJon
Started on: 06-01-2004 01:50 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: AGDJon on 06-03-2004 12:02 AM
AGDJon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AGDJonSend a Private Message to AGDJonDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that a lot of people put on different sizes for different sized rims but I am more looking for a tire match.

I am aware that the 205 60r15 and 215 60r15 will work but am preferring to use a wider tire using the stock rim (just blew 1100 on wheels for my other car and can't afford it for this car)

Some say that I should stay with the 205 60r15 for the fronts (which I will end up using due to lack of powersteering as well as having a stock suspension) just to play it safe

But the rears need to be wider. I have been recommended to go with 225 50r15 but I see that some use 235 or 245. any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I need the info ASAP as I blew out one of my tires and am now just running on a spare.

First time poster, 3 year owner of 2 fiero's (one is a parts car that I am willing to sell super cheap, all you have to do is pick it up)

Thanks for the help

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
What year is your car? The earlier years (pre-88) had the same wheels and tires all the way around. This made it easy to rotate the tires for that reason. The 88 had different offsets and maybe widths, so rotating tires was a bit of a pain, especially if you use unidirectional tires. If you have an earlier car, there really is no need for wider rear tires, unless you have a special reason for that.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 06-01-2004).]

JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88GT and have a set of rims + wheels coming in, they are 205/17/40's all the way around, should I get wider ones for the back, or should i get 225/245?

Thx,
james

AGDJon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AGDJonSend a Private Message to AGDJonDirect Link to This Post
sorry, 86 GT with fastback using the stock 15 inch rims
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I'm running 225/60/15s on the rear of Rie's car, and the stock size 205s on the front... The one size larger tire in the back makes a big difference in filling up that wheel well in my opinion.

It's an 87GT disguised as an 88 coupe...

I have in the past ran 245/50s... I don't like them. The wheelwells on a Fiero are too big to start with and you just make more air space with a 50 series tire..

BTW... Welcome to the forum!

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 06-01-2004).]

Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

I have in the past ran 245/50s... I don't like them. The wheelwells on a Fiero are too big to start with and you just make more air space with a 50 series tire..

Unless you have lowered the car.... in which case they are just right IMHO

Russ

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2004 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine November 2002 Issue:
Race & Street Tire Test: Comparing all the hot rubber against each other and against the clock. Pages 70 – 82.

Street Tire: (The most Bang For The Buck)
1. Falken Azenis Sport (Very Cheap) (205/50R15 - $76)
2. BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD (Mega $$$) (205/50YR15 - $149)
3. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (205/50VR15 - $58)

“The Falken Azenis Sport offers strong performance for cheap money, while the BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD offers goods grip and no bad manners as a daily driven tire. Now that you are interested in a tire that can hold up to track events as well as turn a respectable time at an autocross, then try the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. It offers good bang for the buck and should last a long time.”

Solo2

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post06-01-2004 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post

Solo2

945 posts
Member since Oct 2003
Falken Azenis Sport - Best Bang for the buck!
Street Legal, Racing Performance
 Maximum transfer of braking and acceleration to the pavement
 Race-bred tread pattern not only performs, but adds an
aggressive look to the vehicle
 Asymmetrical tread design for maximum bite
 Steel reinforced sidewalls for maximum control
 Solid tread blocks for excellent dry-weather performance
 Sidewall and shoulder block reinforcement for long life.
 Excellent endurance and durability, high heat resistance
 Meets SCCA street class requirements
BLOCKS
ADDITIONAL SIDEWALL PLY
REINFORCEMENT
for improved lateral
cornering stiffiness
TREADWEAR 200 TEMPERATURE A TRACTION A
AGDJon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AGDJonSend a Private Message to AGDJonDirect Link to This Post
I do appreciate all of the input so far but I guess I should have been more specific which was my fault (I guess I shouldn't post while working LOL)

Basically, I want to add wider tires in the rear. I am looking to find out what will be the widest possible tire to fit the stock 15" rim. I currently have stock suspension and am running an 86 GT with fastback (don't know if that really makes a difference because of the top but mentioning it just in case). I will keep the 205's in the front for steering purposes and to play it safe.

I currently don't have any plans of lowering the car nor do I have any plans of changing the suspension work any time soon. (that will happen when the suspension fails or the engine dies then I will swap it for better)

Again, all help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Songman, Thanks for the welcome :-)

salo4587

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for salo4587Send a Private Message to salo4587Direct Link to This Post
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Can I go 205/60/15 or 215 all around for my 86 GT? For some reason, the original owner had the wider size on the back. Was that due to factory specs, personal preference, or what?
I'd like to have the same size all around for even wear and tire rotation.
Thanks.
b
PFF
System Bot
AGDJon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AGDJonSend a Private Message to AGDJonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by salo4587:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I saw that in another post (was unsure how that would work for me though) but I guess I was trying to figure out what the widest possible tire will fit the rears without rubbing against the suspension or bottoming out on the wheel well of the car. So far it seems like a 225 50r15 might be the way to go but other posts say that they have gone and used as wide as a 255 50r15.

padgett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for padgettClick Here to visit padgett's HomePageSend a Private Message to padgettDirect Link to This Post
Depends on what you want it for - looks or performance. For performand with a street tire I find it best to have a rim as wide as the tread (for real racing, as wide as the section). This is to prevent lifting the inside of the tread under hard cornering or requiring extreeme decambering to prevent same. I have 205x60x15s on my 86 SE with 7" rims which is as far as I would go.

Of course if for appearance then whatever will fit.

As for tires I have a number of friends who swear by Kumhos. Of course they are a major sponsor of Grassroots.

Was at the 2004 event at Gainesville and have never seen such a collection of machinery. My personal choice would be a 3800/Getrag combo & am trying to make up my mind about building one.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
If you have not got the answer you whant yet, let me give you my opinion. I would not go any wider than 225's on a 7 inch wide rim.If you go wider tyhan that the side walls will bow out to far (my opinion, it wont look right) If you get a tall profile like 60 the tire will look like a truck, so go for a 55.
225-55 15 is very close to the stock diam of the Fiero. So you would get the widest tire and best fit on the rim with the 225-55 15 in the rear.
A wider tire is not always a better tire. You need to get the right combonation tire/rim size to get the best performance. A lpw profile will look better on big rims but on 15's they will give you a BIG wheel well gap (dont look good) and if you go to tall to fill out the gap it looks like a truck tire.
If you go to wide of tire on the rim the side walls will flex to much and make your car fell like a "boat"
Have fun. Welcome

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

AGDJon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AGDJonSend a Private Message to AGDJonDirect Link to This Post
Ricky and Padgett, thanks for the additional input. On that point, what would be the best bet for performance then. I do not do any type of racing but just like to enjoy going up and down highway ramps basically. So far it seems that the 225 55r15's may be the best bet but if you have a better suggestion on that.

Great input, thank you :-)

m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
225/55/15's will not only be slightly wider, but give better performance as well, if you can find them a 235/55/15 would be alittle better for the wideness of the rim, but wont give quite as good of a performance, I would never go over a 235 wide on a 7" wide rim.

matthew

AGDJon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AGDJonSend a Private Message to AGDJonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by m0sh_man:

225/55/15's will not only be slightly wider, but give better performance as well, if you can find them a 235/55/15 would be alittle better for the wideness of the rim, but wont give quite as good of a performance, I would never go over a 235 wide on a 7" wide rim.

matthew

Thanks for that. I know which tires I will end up going with in the back.

And thanks for making me feel welcome here as well. Greatly appreciated. Expect to see more of me in the future :-)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock