Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  83 dB @ 65mph is WAAAY TO LOUD! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
83 dB @ 65mph is WAAAY TO LOUD! by 30+mpg
Started on: 05-10-2004 06:35 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Blacktree on 05-30-2004 06:13 PM
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... my results were better. I finished "nerfing" my Fiero yesterday. I filled the B-pillars, A-pillars, upper and lower doorframes, console supports, front and rear roof supports, and the bottom of the firewall... basically every frame member in the cabin. Here are the before and after results:

BEFORE -- 71dBA / 86dBC
AFTER -- 61dBA / 83dBC

Keep in mind that this is with a bare interior, save for the driver's seat, instrument pod, and door panels... and the engine at idle.

The car sounds more solid going over bumps and stuff. Instead of a hollow, "echoey" sound, it's more of a solid "thunk". Some of the smaller stuff (pebbles and small cracks in the road) aren't even audible anymore, although I can still "feel the road" through the chassis. Overall, I'm very pleased. I had to use alot of foam, though. I went through 9 cans of "Great Stuff" expanding foam. I can't wait till the mass-loading material arrives.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-20-2004).]

IP: Logged
GARY TUCKER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2004 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
I run a Borla system with Sprintec manifolds...and no cat.....a straight headpipe instead....sounds GREAT....Like a V-8...I like it!

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2004 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Idle, in gear, meter 6" above console pointed forward, halfway between rear storage lid & shifter, 55 dBA slow.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
The vinyl sheet (mass-loading) arrived a couple days ago. I've been busy installing it, during my free time after work. So far, I have one layer on the top half of the firewall, the center of the roof, and the back halves of the floorboards. I decided not to install any on the bottom half of the firewall, since the foam seems to be doing a good job of deadening that area.

I still need to finish the first layer on the floorboards, and then hope to have enough material to install a second layer. I won't be putting a second layer on the firewall or roof. Here are a few shots of my progress:

FIREWALL

FLOORBOARD (passenger side)

ROOF

So far, I've used about 1.5 sheets (27x40") of mass-loading mat. I bought 3 sheets at about $23 each from Parts Express. Before calling it a day... SOUND CHECK!

As with my previous sound checks, the interior is mostly bare (save for the driver's seat, instrument pod, and doorskins). The meter is held about 10-12" above the fuel tank hump, with the mic pointed forward. The meter is set to "slow" and "max". The engine is warmed-up, running at idle.

RESULTS: 60dBA / 81dBC

Getting better...

edited for typo

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-23-2004).]

GARY TUCKER

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2004 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GARY TUCKERSend a Private Message to GARY TUCKERDirect Link to This Post
My God ! Looks like the damn SPACE SHUTTLE !!! Good work man! Do you want to do another one?

------------------
1988 Gary Tucker (GT)

[This message has been edited by GARY TUCKER (edited 05-23-2004).]

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2004 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

My God ! Looks like the damn SPACE SHUTTLE !!!

Now that you mention it, yeah it does.

I had to install the vinyl in strips, because of all the funky contours in the floorboards and firewall. It made marking and cutting the irregular shapes easier, and minimized the chance of trapping air bubbles.

Would I want to do another one? If the price is right. It's one of those pain-in-the-butt jobs.

Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I've finished the mass-loading. And I won't be installing any more spray foam. So the following results can be considered as my "final bare interior" results.

RESULTS: 58dBA / 79.5dBC

This is with two layers of vinyl on the back halves of the floorboards and gas tank hump (between the forward seat support and the firewall), one layer on the top half of the firewall, one layer on the front halves of the floorboards and gas tank hump, and one layer on the center of the roof. I've also installed some 1/4" foam rubber on the center of the roof and the top half of the firewall. This will give the firewall cover and the headliner something soft to rest against.

Here are a couple shots:

Now I get to start working on the custom interior and sound system. I'll post details in a seperate thread.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock