4.9 manual dies at stops lights by collinwestphal
Started on: 05-07-2004 04:45 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: collinwestphal on 05-12-2004 04:29 PM
collinwestphal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I have come across another problem.

When I come to a stop especially out of 3rd or 4th it will just die while I'm slowing down. This happens while I'm holding the clutch and the brake down. or just the clutch.

My other problem is when I come to a stoplight and hold the clutch and brake in with the tranny in 1st. It will idle good for about 5-10 seconds, and then start loping really bad. About 25% of the time it will die.

Whats going on?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Try this link http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/fieroswest/Tech%20Scene/Idle/Tech012002.htm It might give you some ideas, it's for the 2.8 engine.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-07-2004).]

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
How is the ECM wired? Does it think it's in drive?

Jon

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I used ed parks manual harness. It idles fine while in neutral when I start it up. I will idle forever. It only does this when coming out of gear, or while holding the clutch in.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2004 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
wow, I feel like an idiot. I think when I originally gapped my spark plugs I did it to .60 mm instead of .060 inches.
The latter is about twice the gap. It raining now, so I won't be able to switch them all till the morning. Hopefully this helps some.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Do you have an ohm meter and know how to use it?

[This message has been edited by rockcrawl (edited 05-08-2004).]

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2004 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
no, but maybe I could learn?
Please tell me more.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2004 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
after gapping them correectly, I really can't tell much difference. It still lopes at stoplights just like before.

IF I knew how to use an ohm meter, and IF I had one, what would I be checking rockcrawl?

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2004 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I just happened to scan it, and saw I have "Code 30 Idle Air Control Problem"
J Gunsett

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem. I have a 4.9 with a 4 speed and Ed Park’s wiring harness. If I am in 4th gear (have not tried it in 2nd or 3rd) and push the clutch in the RPMs drop off to zero. But if I let off the gas slowly and bring the engine down to an idle and push the clutch the engine will idle all day. I also need your help rockcrawl and I have an ohmmeter.
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Disconnect the harness from the ECM. set the meter to ohms and put one meter lead on ground. use the other lead to probe the ECM connectors. Check pins A2, C10, F7, and F8. Let me know what you find.
PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

I also have the same setup. 4.9, 3.65 4 speed, ed parks harness

I will try to get some readings. I think my dad has an ohm meter.

J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
rockcrawl, I am new at this 4.9 stuff. Will I know where A2, C10, F7 and F8 are on the ECM when I look at it?

Thanks for your help.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
ok, i have an ohm meter, and I'm gonna go get some readings right now.

my options on the meter are X1, X10, X1K, and another symbol that looks like a sound wave.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
ok, I dont have an F8 or a A2.

I do have the C10, and F7

how do you know where to adjust the ohms to? my meter has a dial where you can adjust it.

My readings at X10 were:

C10: 35
F7: 35

I'm guessing these arent accurate. I will try and get some pics up of the connectors.

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
set the meter to X10 - connect the 2 meter ends together, you should get 0 (digital meter I assume), if not, make note at what it does read (or get a better meter).

Connect one lead to C10 and the other lead to ground (make sure you have a good connection) - should read 0 (or other noted reading), repeat for F7.

If not 0, check your ground connections - these 2 pins should be grounded. Thanks to Rockcrawl for this info.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
ok, I adjusted it so it reads 0 when touching the leads.

F7 = 0 ohms

C10 = 0 ohms

A12 = 0 ohms?

there is no F8 or A2 in my harness

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
F7 = 0 ohms
C10 = 0 ohms
there is no F8 or A2 in my harness

That's what you want. Now we move onto the next item. Are any of you guys with this problem running one of my chips? If not, plug in a scantool and go for a ride. Look at vehicle speed on the scantool and compare it to the speedometer. Does the scantool value = ~1/6 of the speedometer value? If so, I can help you.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I am running your chip. My idle is 800 rpm.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Well I am trying to catch up here. I removed the consol and I am looking at the computer. There are 3 connectors on the driver’s side. I see no markings. How do I find A2, C10, F7 and F8? I am using the stock chip, computer is out of a 92 Deville.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
look very closely! on the side with the pins there are numbers. on the side with the wires, there are letters. one connector is A/B, another is C/D, and the top one is E/F
PFF
System Bot
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
I found the numbers, but the letters are just not there. If the top connector I E/F, I hope the center is C/d and the bottom one is A/B. Is the A, C, and E to the front of the and B, D, and E to the backside of the plug. If so F7 = 0 ohms and in connector A/B (the bottom connector) I did not have any wires in A2 or B2. Just to make sure I am looking at this correctly, all 3 connectors are facing the driver’s seat.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
A, C, and E are on the top. E/F is top, C/D is middle, E/F is bottom.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
bump
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
Well I am confused about the connectors and pins, I tinke I will move on and try and find someone in the area with a scantool and do that check.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
J Gunsett, do you have his chip? I can't really do that test since my speedo isnt working. I am told my harness from ed was defective. and that I only need to cut 2 wires and it will work. I'm just not sure which ones. yellow and purple I think he said. hopefully rockcrawl will chime in and give me some advice. I'm headed to the massive junkyard to find some small radiator fans to put under my deck vents.
J Gunsett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2004 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J GunsettClick Here to visit J Gunsett's HomePageSend a Private Message to J GunsettDirect Link to This Post
I am using a stock chip. I sent a request to rockcrawl to get a chip. My speedo should be correct as I did not change any thing on the 4 speed or the gauge cluster. I do know that the tach is off by about 450 rpm (I'll work on that). I noticed that mine seem to happen (the dieing problem) after the engine gets hot. I do get some good gas milage, 24 mpg and that was running at 80 mph for about 9 hours.

Jack

TimGully

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimGullySend a Private Message to TimGullyDirect Link to This Post
Possibly your speedo problem is that it lacks a ground. In my 84 the speedo was grounded through the factory PCM. When I removed the PCM, the ground was gone, and the speedo didn't work. Do you still have the factory PCM in there?

I've posted on the idle problem before. I'm a 3800 guy, but I think the same applies to you.

Seems like the problem occurs when engine braking. If you take your foot off the gas, the PCM closes the Idle Air Control solenoid to get it to hit the set idle point. The manual trans is 'pushing' the engine, then when you push the clutch in, the RPMs drop like a rock, and the IAC cannot open fast enough to keep it from dying.

I don't know if it's the same problem you're having, but I hope it helps a bit. For me it's not a big deal.

-Tim

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
We had that problem with our car (4.9 5spd) It was the oil pressure sender becuse it would idle down and the oil pressure would drop and it ecm thought that it was 0 and kill it. So we put a 88 oil pressure sender unit on it runs like a champ.

Joe Sokol III

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
interesting ideas. did you put a cadillac oil pressure sensor in? why 88? I'm assuming you used an 88' fiero oil pressure sensor?
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
There is no low oil pressure cutout. The oil pressure switch can't shut off the engine unless it's wired wrong or the fuel pump relay or ECM is bad.
PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2004 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
what do you think is causing this rockcrawl?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock