Started on: 04-09-2004 03:58 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: watts on 04-13-2004 04:52 PM
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
My car was having trouble getting into 5th and reverse gears. I figured it was time to get a new select cable to operate my 5 spd Getrag transmission. It only took about an hour and wasn't as hard as I had anticipated. Here is the procedure, not really that hard to do. First disconnect your battery(if you don't unplug the ECM you won't have to do this), next you need to remove your shift knob. The stock knob just unscrews off the shift lever. Mine is an aftermarket one from Grant, it requires that you unscrew the collar at it's base and unscrew 3 set screws to remove it. Next you remove the ash trays and the 4 screws under them. You can then remove the shifter surround section. Pictures and more info to follow...

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-09-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Continued. Next you need to remove the center glove compartment/arm rest and the power mirror/ windows control panel. The arm rest has 2 screws up front near the shifter and 2 more insde the glove compartment. The power mirror/window panel has 3 screws. You also need to remove the ECM and the bracket it is mounted too. You also need to remove the cover where the cigarette lighter is and the cigarette lighter itself. I also removed the 2 rear screws of the center console surround so I could pick it up to remove the cable. More to follow...

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

avengador1

35467 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Now we are at the end. There is a snap on clip on the shifter end that holds the shift cable to the shifter mechanism. There are also 2 "U" shaped clips that hold the cable to the shifter frame and the transmission bracket. All that is left to do is to pop of the cable at the tranny end and unscrew the stud from the tranny lever. You then fish the old cable out and work the new one into place. You attach all the clips and reassemble everything in the reverse order. I also use some tie-wraps to help hold the new cable away from the exhaust.

Here's the new Rodney Dickman cable I got. Thanks to him I now have reverse and 5th gear again.

87GTSleeper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Reverse and 5th rock, don't they? I had to do mine recently. Good write-up.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2004 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
It sure makes it easier to get the car out of the garage and parking spaces. The new cable worked so good and smooth that I am considering doing the shifter one too, but that will be a project for another day.

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
I just did this a couple of weeks ago too. The Haynes manual said to remove the skeleton frame.. what a pain and I figured out a later I didn't need to do all that work. I put everything back together and now I have extra screws I didn't use... as long as it looks okay

I don't know why but I decided to put the cable screw upside-down at the bracket part, I need to fix that.

------------------

AIM: gtfastbackgt Cardomain site

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2004 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I forgot to mention, the select cable is the one closest to the driver, it also is thinner than the shift cable. Pontiac Boi make sure you route it under the lever on the tranny or it won't be as free moving. As for removing the center console skeleton, it isn't neccesary. You only need to remove the last 2 end screws and carpet clips to give you enough room to pull the select or shift cables out. Remember, work smarter not harder.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-10-2004).]

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
A final bump, for those that might have missed this.
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2004 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Cool, I've been needing to swap out the select cable, but I wasn't looking forward to pulling the skeleton. It's getting kinda brittle, I was afraid I'd break it even more getting it out.

Now I find out I won't have to pull it. Thanks

blayde8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blayde8Send a Private Message to blayde8Direct Link to This Post
Hi,
I noticed the new cable didn't come with the firewall grommet. Did you leave it out, or cut the old one and some how glue it back on??? Thanks
Jason

Eh, spelling.

[This message has been edited by blayde8 (edited 04-12-2004).]

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86:

Cool, I've been needing to swap out the select cable, but I wasn't looking forward to pulling the skeleton. It's getting kinda brittle, I was afraid I'd break it even more getting it out.

Now I find out I won't have to pull it. Thanks

Ya, definitly don't remove the skeleton. I did and it was such a pain, when I finished removing it I looked back at what was done and notice I didn't need to remove it. The skeleton connects all the way to the radio/rally-guage frame so I had to remove that, at one point I wanted to just brake the whole plastic skeleton out

BTW my new Rodney cable didn't come with the firewall grommet like blayde8 said, I put everything back together already but do you think it's necessary to reuse the old one avengador?

PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I slit the old grommet from the center out on one side and reused it. Once it is pressed into place it makes a good seal. You should put something there to keep moisture and fumes out of the passenger compartment.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-12-2004).]

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
In the last photo, I see you have the cable routed over top of the crossover pipe. Not sure if that's a before or after.

Anyhow, I've found the cable moves much easier if it goes under it. Then tie wrap it lightly to a bracket that's already there to keep it from swinging into the exhaust down pipe (think you mentioned the last bit??).

I just rerouted mine and it really helped.

avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2004 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
That was a before picture. I have the new cable tie wraped away from the exhaust and behind the heat shield. I could reroute it even lower and it might work better the way you suggest. As mine is routed now, it wouldn't be long enough to try and route it your way.
ddddc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ddddcSend a Private Message to ddddcDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone have any problems with shifting after installing a new select cable? I bought Rodney Dickman's Getrag Select Arm Rebuild Kit, Shifter Rebuild Kit, and 5 SPD Getrag 282 select cable. I installed everything following the included directions but cannot find any of the gears in their normal locations (1988 GT). I was able to find I think 3rd gear and reverse, but not where they are normally located. I was barely able to get the car into my storage building last fall. Before I rebuilt the shifter/select arm and replaced the select cable all the gears lined up, I just didn't like the feel of the shifter. I think it appears to be an adjustment issue but I think the Haynes Manual only details 4 SPDs Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The new select cable I got from Rodney had instructions that said it was already adjusted to work with the transmission. If you are having problems, try moving the shift arms on the tranny manually to see that you can find all the gears there. The select arm is pushed up (or pulled if you are doing this manually) to find 1st and 2nd gears, it is pulled in (or pushed manually) to find the other gears. Was your tranny working before you made the changes? I also have all of the Rodney parts on my tranny and his shifter rebuild kit to help it shift better. Make sure you aren't missing any of the U shaped cable retaining clips and that they are mounted properly. They keep the cables in place so they won't move when you try to shift, and there are two to each cable at either end. You can see one in the next to last picture before I removed it to take the cable off.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 04-13-2004).]

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2004 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
I just installed his cable on another car - and had the same trouble. Couldn't really do the side to side (select) motion.

A simple rerouting of the cable UNDER the crossover pipe fixed it up. Straightens the path a bit... but that's all it needed.

As for adjustment - you can only adjust one of them (not both like on the 4spd). The 88 manual says to stuff it in 3rd, slacken off the one cable, wiggle it all, then tighten.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock