Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Tear-Down and Restoration of Elenor (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Tear-Down and Restoration of Elenor by Elenor84
Started on: 03-27-2004 01:13 AM
Replies: 54
Last post by: Elenor84 on 06-02-2004 11:21 AM
WarDog

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarDogSend a Private Message to WarDogDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the paint job you want in the end , be carefull with the orbital sander, you may end up with swirls that will show through. You could go rent a media blaster , but either way you go if you want a show paint job end your sanding or blasting by sanding with 1500 grit to 2000 then finish with 2500.
IP: Logged
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Get that interior back together so I can see what it looks like black

Something I've always wanted to do, not a big fan of the stock grey interior. Looks great so far Lance, keep us updated with lots of pics!

Thanks! I will!

About the orbital sander, I've been noticing the swirls and alittle worried. But the finest sandpaper I can find is like 320. Anyone know where I can get some orbital sander paper thats like 1000?

Thanks.

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Lance, have you guys got NAPA in Canada? They have areally good supply of different sand papers here? If you don't and want me to look here for you shoot me a PM with what you need.

------------------

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
No I don't think we do. I know I've seen a napa but I think its just a head office of some kind. I guess what I want is 8 hole, 8 inch orbital sander pads. I would like 320grit, 500, 1000....pritty much whatever you can get. If you could take a look that would be great. I'll look around today and maybe some specialty paint stores sell them.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I will check them out but they are closed Saturdays and probably Monday (Memorial Day here). I will let you know.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Elenor84:

No I don't think we do. I know I've seen a napa but I think its just a head office of some kind.

Here ya go. NAPA's usually open on Saturdays. They're pretty good at carrying stuff other shops don't bother with.
Auto Value and Acklands Grainger usually have a good supply of body shop supplies too.

Napa Auto Parts 780-434-7437
8107 Roper Road NW,
Edmonton, AB
T6E 6S4

Napa Auto Parts 780-451-3910
15935 118 Avenue NW,
Edmonton, AB
T5V 1B7

Napa Auto Parts 780-465-9458
8213 Argyll Road NW,
Edmonton, AB
T6C 4B2

Napa Auto Parts 780-478-2924
11825 Wayne Gretsky Dr N,
Edmonton, AB
T5A 0A3

------------------
Fiero Fiesta - August 1, 2004 - Calgary, Alberta <--- click this LINK

3.4L S/C 87 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003/2003 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Well I'll be.......I never knew we had so many napa's. Thats awesome. Thanks.
1MohrFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Guess I don't need to go to NAPA after all. Darn. I hope they got you covered Lance. Better hurry I called mine to confirm they were closed and found out they are open till 1300L. Guess I just missed them when I tried a few saturdays ago.

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 05-29-2004).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2004 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
You could always try Acklands and/or Carlson Auto Body Supplies for the fine grit sand paper. There is a NAPA auto paint store on the westend (118 ave and 149st) that only deals with painting supplies.

05-29-2004 09:41 AM <- are you up this early?

Tim

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 05-29-2004).]

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2004 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Thanks! I will!

About the orbital sander, I've been noticing the swirls and alittle worried. But the finest sandpaper I can find is like 320. Anyone know where I can get some orbital sander paper thats like 1000?

Thanks.

Try these guys. I don't know if they ship to Canada, but they're one of the best priced suppliers in the states: http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/

JazzMan

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2004 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Cool, thanks guys. I'll check those places out as soon as possible.
PFF
System Bot
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Man what a long day, but productive. I finished fiberglassing my new roof pannel where it was cracked. I also redid my new headliner with Dark Charcole headliner material.

Step 1- Clean area's that needFiberglass and resin. The apply resin to any unstable area's.

Step 2- Use wire brush to clean off all of the old headliner foam.

This picture kind of gives you an idea of the color but you really have to see it in person.

This is the adhesive I used. It was highly recommended at the place where I bought the material. It was 22$ but well worth it. The only problem I had was the nosil jammed up once and a while and it was a mad rush to get it uncloged.

Step 3- Put your yard over your headliner. Now I did half at a time but there are other ways that work just as well. So I folded half up and sparyed the liner, waited few minites for tack then slowly applyed down. Then simply folded up the other side and sprayed and lowered that side down.

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post

Elenor84

1946 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Step 4- Flip the headliner over and spray adhesive around the edges and fold the material up.

Then thats pritty much it. Just do all the edges then make a conservitive cut to allow for further trimming once installed.

Next I worked on fiberglassing my roof as it got alittle cracked during removal.

Then nothing left to do but install the roof with new butal tape and the headliner

And a shot of the headliner semi installed. I'm to tired tonight to put the stripping around and what not so I'll finish that tomorrow, along with reinstalling my new black interior.

Panama Jack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2004 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Panama JackSend a Private Message to Panama JackDirect Link to This Post

And a shot of the headliner semi installed. I'm to tired tonight to put the stripping around and what not so I'll finish that tomorrow, along with reinstalling my new black interior.

It looks great!! You and I are doing very similar interior projects - although you are farther along with yours. One other thing I did while mine was apart before - install Dynamat sound deadener. Now that the 4.9 is installed, the Dynamat really helps quiet things down inside the car. Keep up the good work and post pictures!!

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT Project - Work in Progress
COMPLETE: 93 Deville 4.9 / 4T60e, 88 Fiero cradle and rear suspension, Held/KYB rear coilovers, Flowmaster 80, 2" shortened automatic shifter, 85 Fiero GT seats, 84-87 strut tower brace FieroWarehouse side scoops, Mustang scoop (nearly complete)
WORKING: 95 Firebird dash, Firebird console, Firebird door panels, KYB shocks, Eibach front springs, Tom's flushmounts
FUTURE: Steetglow underbody neon, trip to the body shop, and paint (what color?), rework air intake

[This message has been edited by Panama Jack (edited 06-01-2004).]

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Thanks....

Dynamatt is something I really want to do but I'm thinking alittle further down the road as I'm really in a rush to get this car painted before an upcoming show.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock