Gauge lights out. can't figure out why by whobeyoube
Started on: 02-25-2004 08:41 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Fierokid87 on 06-27-2004 01:47 PM
whobeyoube

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2004 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whobeyoubeSend a Private Message to whobeyoubeDirect Link to This Post
All of a sudden I have no gauge lights. I checked the fuse, actually I checked all of them when that didn't work, they're all good.

every other light on the car works, all interior dome and under dash, all exterior lights work. It is just the guage lights.

Couple other clues: my dingy thing stopped warning me the lights were on when the ignition was shut off, but it still chimes for other things. My stereo has a feature that automatically dims the display when the exterior lights are on. No more dimming when I turn em on now.

I'm stumped.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
do a search. the same thing happened to me and it turned out to be a faulty transistor. i replaced it, and voila! functioning dash lights. it will aslo dim the shifter indicator, climate controls, and radio. if one of them still dims and the others dont, you have yourself a problem that is beyond my experience. have fun!

the resistor is easy to change, too. just unbolt it and put a new one on (with plenty of dielectric grease)

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Ford EXP (rust galore, but im keepin it!)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, will be done for summer!)

whobeyoube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whobeyoubeSend a Private Message to whobeyoubeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks

Did a search. A few references to the transistor but none I found say where it hides.

Where is that bad boy?

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Take the cover under the steering column off and look up to the right of the column. The dimming transistor is mounted to a finned heat sink. It's easy to get to. One other thing, did you check and make sure the thumbwheel under the light switch didn't accidently get turned down? (Sometimes it's the little things)
It might also be worth checking to make sure the connector on the thumbwheel hasn't come loose.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2004 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
Check Ogre's Cave under "Lighting" (links at top an bottom of the page).
whobeyoube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2004 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whobeyoubeSend a Private Message to whobeyoubeDirect Link to This Post
Good call on the transistor. 5 minutes to replace, gauge lights back on.

Picked up a 15 amp transistor at Radio Shack for a whopping $1.99. P/N 276-2041

Thanks

DAVES85GT

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DAVES85GTClick Here to visit DAVES85GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to DAVES85GTDirect Link to This Post
I am going to buy and try that transistor in a couple days how do you install it??
is it easy, I found the transistor under the dash, how do you sub the radio shack one for it...
thanks
dave

------------------
DAVES
86 1/2 FASTBACK
GT

spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
It's a direct sub:

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
will the Radio shack transistor handle more amps?

------------------

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post

Fierokid87

4954 posts
Member since Jan 2001
Here are step by step instructions to replace the transistor.

1: remove the unit from the car. Under the dash on the driverside, to the right of the columb. its held in by two 7mm screws

2: remove the two screws on the black/brown side of the unit. they are 1/4 inch here.

3: once screws are removed turn it ove to the transistor side

4: using a small flat head gently pry up on the old transistor

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post

Fierokid87

4954 posts
Member since Jan 2001
5: once transistor is removed you will note that the unit can only go one way as the two holes are off center

6: take the new transistor out of the package and line up the pins with the holes, gently press is down into place

7: flip the unit back over

and reinstall the 1/4 inch screws

8: install the unit into the car with the 7mm screw that you removed before and plug is back in.

There you go you now know how to replace your dashlight transistor.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fierokid87 (edited 06-27-2004).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock