Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4th Gen Camaro Steering and 88's (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
4th Gen Camaro Steering and 88's by natnov
Started on: 11-16-2003 08:29 PM
Replies: 64
Last post by: Will on 06-28-2004 10:22 AM
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
No progress on mine yet, other than I think my 2000 rack is a little bit different from obsessed's rack, because of pre 98 racks were different a little. From the looks of things, all I have to do is cut the tie rods down, and rethread, because the rod looks thick enough all the way down.
IP: Logged
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
FYI, I did some looking around on GMpartsdirect.com and it looks like the steering rack changed (part numbers are different) around 98 or 99. The exploded views look the same, but that doesn't mean anything.

Curiously, the earlier racks (pre 98/99) have two different racks, one for heavy duty suspension and one without. The later (post 98/99) have two racks, one for handling package and one without. I'm guessing it's just a nomenclature thing, probably both of them refer to the ratio change.

In order of cost from gmpartsdirect.com, the late model w/ handling package is the most expensive, then the late model without, the early model w/ heavy duty suspension, and the cheapest is the early model without heavy duty suspension. The most expensive one is $370, cheapest is $275. The core charge is the same for all of them.

Bryce
88 GT

Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
They go for 50$ on ebay and on car-part.com Most versions too. Can't go wrong with that price. Im going on vacation so it looks like this will take a while longer to complete.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Were did you find one for $50 on Ebay, Inever look at Ebay?
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
http://listings.ebaymotors.com/pool1/plistings/list/all/category33589/index.html?from=R0

Then search for firebird. Theres one on there now. if you bid 50.00, you'll probably get it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2444399963&category=33589

Heck, theres ones there going for 20.00!!

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I bought the one I'm using for $25 off of ebay, the 2.25 lock to lock, quick ratio, or is it the 2.75, hmmmm....

[This message has been edited by 1985FieroGT (edited 11-26-2003).]

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help
The books that I have seen in the parts stores dont list a 2.75 ratio only 2.25 and 3.0
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
My Camero SS rack is in the mail
gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post
Verry intersting. Bump...
FinoGT3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2003 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoGT3800Send a Private Message to FinoGT3800Direct Link to This Post
Bump....
FinoGT3800

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FinoGT3800Send a Private Message to FinoGT3800Direct Link to This Post
This topic is too good to let it stay on page 11. Hope to see an update soon.
PFF
System Bot
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
No progress on my 84 for the last 2 weeks or so, too cold, and I don't wanna freeze.

------------------

If you would like more information, or would like to order custom idiot light guage overlays (You can make your own), please visit this link:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036100.html

Thanks!

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2003 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
same here!
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2004 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Just bumping this so it doesn't hit the archives. 4 months is cutting it close. I will finish this In april alongside the Quad4 swap.
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Updated pictures. I'd say the hard stuff is officially done. I won't be able to try it out till may though.
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2004 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Looking good! Thanks for the update, I'm really interested in the outcome of this.
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
any new progress on this conversion? Im kinda wanting to get power stearing for my Formula

------------------

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Believe it or not, I'm still playing with it. When I did the conversion I also decided to take care of the turning radius problem that 84's tend to have. In doing so, the shock now comes in contact with the tire and the brake caliper. I am modifying the lower A arm and the crossmember to take an 88 shock in a coil over style. Should solve alot of problems. But doing this is easier said then done. I'm at the point with it where I debait weather to make tubular lower A arms or just to continue modifying the stock ones... This is going to be a long week.
DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm not trying to start a flame or anything, I just have an honest question:

Why?

I personally prefer manual steering, sure its a little hard sometimes in a
parking lot, but I prefer the feel of manual steering out on the road because
I feel a more 'direct connection' with the road.

Is ease of use in a parking lot worth all this trouble to you guys?
Not to mention the loss of power going to the wheels because the steering pump
hogs.....is it worth it?

Like I said, I am not trying to start an argument, I really want to know why.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Bite tongue... ignore....

Please keep us posted on your progress,
Roy

Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
i believe that everytime someone asks that question it is the spark that starts the flaming. so lets extinguish it quickly so we dont all burn....

------------------
Brandon Edmonds

1996 Taurus SHO (my baby)
1986 Ford EXP (goin bye-bye soon hopefully)
1986 Fiero (to be my street rocket)
1977 yamaha xs750-2D (in pieces right now, doesnt appear that it will be done for summer, unfortunately)

PFF
System Bot
Vonov

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VonovSend a Private Message to VonovDirect Link to This Post
Quick...somebody pee on that spark...keep on goin', Roy...to answer the original question, it's worth it to me, because (a.) I'll soon have a 4.9 installed and not overly concerned about the so-called 'power steering pump drag' and (b) I have a few metal fragments in my shoulder which make driving my Formula at low speed in parking lots a bit painful, to say the least.
Now, where the heck were we? (Goes off muttering about whuffos...)

------------------
88 Formula, "Asphalt Aviator"

For those who understand, no explanation is necessary, for those who do not, none will suffice...

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Direct Link to This Post
I personally have driven a Power Stearing 88. No not eh Electric one. A belt driven. And I loved it. I dont mind the manual rack but seems to me that at high speeds it harder to control a manual then it is a power.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
DustoneGT: as you can see power steering in a Fiero is a ...........hot topic and is not for everyone. But for the people that do want it, seem to want it for different reasons. I for one am going to do the power steering for the VERY fast steering ratio that came in the Camaro SS. The 88GT has about 3.5 turns lock to lock and the Camaro SS rack is only 2.25. Do I need it? No, but that is what I want and why I want it. Others may want or even need it for different reasons.

BTW a "direct connection with the road" is not just in the steering rack. The entire suspension/wheel setup working together is what gives you that "good feeling" of the road.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:
I for one am going to do the power steering for the VERY fast steering ratio that came in the Camaro SS. The 88GT has about 3.5 turns lock to lock and the Camaro SS rack is only 2.25. Do I need it? No, but that is what I want and why I want it. Others may want or even need it for different reasons.

I feel the same way. The weight of the Fiero steering doesn't bother me, but it's SOOO DAMNED SLOW. I want FAST steering, but unless I redesign the suspension for almost no caster, a fast rack is going to have to be a power rack in order to not have unreasonable steering effort.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Low, Sleek, Fast, and Loud
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: None of the Above

Luck, Fate and Destiny are words used by those who lack the courage to define their own future

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock