Started on: 03-18-2004 10:59 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: FierOmar on 03-20-2004 11:02 AM
HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeD

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2004 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDSend a Private Message to HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys! Yeah, I've gotten myself dug into a hole...a 2 project hole. On one hand, I've got my fiero that I'm going into a TORQUE MONSTER! But now...my dads friend at work goes "hey, want an Opel GT?" and I go "Hehehe...mini corvette...sure!" and he goes "MMMKAY!! Oh...by the way, its been setting for 11 years....have fun!" :: DROPS CAR OFF IN BENS YARD:: So yeah....no I've got 2 projects floating over my head....X__X. But...heres what I was thinkin'...::GOES INTO ANOTHER BRILLIANT BEN PLAN:: The 1.1 liter 4 speed in the opel is obviously not gonna be flyin any time soon, so heres what I was thinkin. How much would a damn good Fiero GT drivetran set me back? I could slap a 2.8 in the front of that lil opel, and that things a TORQUE MONSTER! by opel standards anyways... Would that swap be a cheap/quick swap? I'd like to quickly get the opel done as fast and cheaply as possible but still have a kick ass car. They put up to a 2.4 motor in there, so a 2.8 shouldn't be that hard a squeeze. I've seen crazies put 3.8 turbo motors outta GNs and T-types in there and make them hook up nicely, but yeah...a 2.8 should be a cheap cakewalk, right? The sooner/cheaper I get the Opel GT finished, the more attention I can give to my beloved Fiero. ^.^ Whos with me on this?

------------------
Fiero: Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on!!

[This message has been edited by HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeD (edited 03-18-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2004 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Why on earth would you want to use a 2.8? Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti Fiero, I just modified the heck out of my 2.8 and am now putting a turbo on it. But I sure wish it was an easier engine to get HP out of, like that's why so many people swoop engines. Put something with more potential in that Opel, overhead cams and the likes. BTY, search the net for Opel GTs, I did that a little while ago and found a lot stuff and some awsume cars, many with other motors. When I finesh my 86GT I may go looking for an Opel GT to modify. One can never have too many sports cars (wife has other thoughts on that).
862M4inCA

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 862M4inCASend a Private Message to 862M4inCADirect Link to This Post
Take the advice from a former Opel GT owner....junk ANYTHING that says "opel" to make the car go. I had a '73 with the 1.9 and when running was fun, but over the course of the 2 years I had it I think I MIGHT have actually been able to drive it about 6 of those months. As for putting a 2.8 in one, shouldn't be a problem, however it's VERY possible to wrap the engine bay around a 350. The problem with using a 350 in a GT is that the heater box has to go. As for the 2.4, that engine was never offered as a factory option since the 2.4 was only designed in the early 80's after GM sent Opel back to Germany (post Isuzu-Opel merger in the mid/late 70's). My suggestion would to try to stick with a 4 cylinder of some sort since even with the 1.9 you have to have hands the size of a 5 year old to reach most parts of the engine. I would also suggest giving a call to Opel GT Source in the LA area (1-800-OpelGTS) to get any ideas from them if you wish to stray from an opel powertrain.

I know when I had mine I had thought on many times about ripping the 1.9 out in favor of either a 1.6L toyota 16 valve or a rotary engine of some sort since I could pull more power out of either of those than the 105 that the 1.9 produced.

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
You can do alot with the opel Gt, a guy here had one with a twin turbo 4.3 in his. I tried to get pics for another forum member but the guy sold it befor I could get any pics of it.
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Ah the Opel Gt ..I had a yellow one with a 1900. That car would bury the 140 speedo. Ive seen one with a smallblock that ran 9's
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 06:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
I saw an Opel Manta, the sedan, with a blown 454 shoved in it. He had it sorted pretty good, too. 8s in the quarter!

GL

SLagrec1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLagrec1Send a Private Message to SLagrec1Direct Link to This Post
Turn on "way-back" machine, enter my blue '70 Opel GT, crank up stereo, drift thru a corner or two. Now step out and go back to work. Thanks for the memories

P.S. Funny thing about life; 3 decades later I own another 2-door blue sports car, remarkably similar in many ways.

------------------
Steve, 87 Fiero GT, Getrag w/Ultimate Shift Kit, Street Dreams drop spindles, Poly mounts, KYBs, Michelin tires, Ocelot exhaust, Infinity audio, DashScan

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
put a turbo ecotec in there
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Lots of interesting suggestions here.
I don't have a clue as to what will or won't fit, but if you have your heart set on a 60 degree GM V-6, I would be tempted do the 3.4 Camaro motor. Only since it's already a longitudinal swap.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe...........

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

vinny

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vinnySend a Private Message to vinnyDirect Link to This Post
Just small block it!
HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeD

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDSend a Private Message to HoMiE_TeLeFrAgGeDDirect Link to This Post

No guys....The Fiero gets small blocked, the Opel gets no bigger than a 6. The reason I said the 2.8 was because you guys are throwin them all out, so I thought there'd be an abundance of them along with parts. I think that 2.8 would be plenty of power for that little car. I mean...the original owner (whos giving the car to me) said that he was out takeing S-turns doin 107 in the bottom of 4th! That 3.4 liter sounds like a pretty good idea. Parts would be readily available, and everything is garunteed to work right. Then I've gotta think rear end, tranny selection, mounting, wireing, etc etc etc. All those important things to think about in an engine swap of that type. Hmmmmm....someone said that they had made a 2.4 liter in them from the factory. I'll have to check that Opel GT Source out then. Thanks for the imput guys! ^.^ -Ben

------------------
Fiero: Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on!!

PFF
System Bot
Hedhunta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HedhuntaSend a Private Message to HedhuntaDirect Link to This Post
hehe, i know a guy that owns a 78' opel manta.. fun lil car to drive..
Erik

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hedhunta:

hehe, i know a guy that owns a 78' opel manta.. fun lil car to drive..

I also had a 1900 2 door sportswagon very much like a manta ..very cool funcar to drive

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
How about a 2.2L Ecotec, and modify it into a hi-revving (10,000 RPM) 2.0L Ecotec Turbo?

They're making over 1,200HP on the track.

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (THE PROJECT HAS STARTED!!!)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (R.I.P.my beloved J-body. KIA by a Ford)
1994 Chevy S-10 4.3, it's finally here, and it is gorgeous!

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2004 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
I would think that a 3.4 Camaro with it's matching 5 speed trans would be a good choice. There is a guy out here who sells a similar kit for the MGB (fairly cheap). Orief just sold the entire carb set up for one of those engines. Could be a very cost effective sleeper.

------------------
FierOmar

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock