Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Uncle Bush is killing us with these gas prices!!! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Uncle Bush is killing us with these gas prices!!! by jeffndebrus
Started on: 03-06-2004 04:32 AM
Replies: 66
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 03-10-2004 11:21 AM
Lt1 QuickSilver

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lt1 QuickSilverSend a Private Message to Lt1 QuickSilverDirect Link to This Post
Let's all get good gas mileage cars, park the suv for a day and see if that helps. They know they are hurting the U.S.A. (opec) Thats the art of war.
IP: Logged
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by iluvmacs:

You moron, the main focus of President Bush's energy policy is the funding of hydrogen-based energy for not only transportation, but power production.

Check the facts before you, just like everybody else in this country, accuses our great president of anything less than he is, the best leader our country has had in over 20 years.

Whatever your smoking ...it must be illegal

maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
And he's not sharing. jk
Even tho I've sort of defended the hi prices, or at least explained them, I too, cannot for the life of me, defend the 'quick to raise prices-slow to lower them". I've asked many people in the business for years and have yet to get a believable explanation. Unless someone can put one forth I'll have to go along with everyone
else and say it's price gouging.
(you just don't know how hard that was for this conservative to spit out)
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

And comments like this really up your credibility, don't they?

Sorry, after being called a moron, I couldn't resist a little dig. There does seem to be a memory deficiency there. Maybe he lives in Washington DC? Got lead?

GL

NEPTUNE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 288
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPTUNESend a Private Message to NEPTUNEDirect Link to This Post

You moron, the main focus of President Bush's energy policy is the funding of hydrogen-based energy for not only transportation, but power production.

Check the facts before you, just like everybody else in this country, accuses our great president of anything less than he is, the best leader our country has had in over 20 years.

One thing many people find infuriating about "uncle Bush" is that very often he will talk about something good, like energy research, space exploration or education,get the big headline, then fund it at 5% or less, or place the actual date so far into the future as to make the whole idea meaningless.
Yeah, I know Congress actually has the checkbook, but with a Republican Congress and a Republican president he can pretty much do whatever he (Cheney)wants.
Gas in Orlando for regular: 1.61 to 1.87, in Miami 1.69 to 1.89

PS: Why is it that Bush lovers are so quick to call the rest of us derogatory names? Take a chill pill, were all Fiero lovers here.

[This message has been edited by NEPTUNE (edited 03-07-2004).]

HarryG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryGSend a Private Message to HarryGDirect Link to This Post
CLIFF:
Can you please move this thread out of the Tech Section?
Thanks!
Pang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2004 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PangClick Here to visit Pang's HomePageSend a Private Message to PangDirect Link to This Post
Sure makes me happy to be getting 29 MPG.
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tugboat:
You know, if you call somebody names when you don't know what you're talking about, it doesn't make you look good.

You have no idea who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Do you have any idea what I do? My credibility has to do with the information I share about cars, not about politics. If you haven't figured it out yet, there is NO 100% correct answer to anything political. There IS when it comes to cars.

Your memory is shorter than your peter probably is. When Bush got into office he got a bunch of energy company cronies to write his energy policy. It included more drilling for gas and oil (in national parks and roadless wilderness), and more coal fired powerplants. Remember the flap about that? They never have come clean.

From http://www.nrdc.org/media/pressreleases/020327.asp :
"These documents show how the White House task force turned coal and oil company wish lists directly into national policy while ignoring proven technologies that can help us meet our energy needs cleanly and reliably," explained Sharon Buccino, an NRDC senior attorney."

Once again, you know nothing. Unlike you (I hate to stoop to your level and assume about things I have no proof of), I actually get to use my "peter", however "short" it may be. At least I can see it without moving a beer gut out of the way.

Do you know anything about energy policy? Do you know that the demand for energy has been on an exponential increase since the 1980s? How do you suggest we produce the amount of energy required to fill the demand???? There is 1 (yes, 1) option in the short term; more coal plants. Gas plants aren't cost effective, although more efficient and easier to run. Nuclear plants can't be used in less than the 7-12 years it takes to liscense and build them. Wind, solar, and hydroelectric plants can't produce enough electricity to fill the demand.

The one solution you didn't mention, in your vast knowlege of energy policy, is the amount of energy wasted in transportation, industry, and personal activities, usually to save money. If there weren't people wasting gas, electricity, and other CURRENT energy sources, smart people like President Bush, and whoever wrote his EFFECTIVE energy policy, wouldn't have to propose the construction of additional coal power plants.

Let's see, he tied aternative energy money to drilling money
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/text/2003/jan/31/013110269.html

Where was the last place that we drilled for oil? I don't care about desert. I do care about Alaska, which Bush decided (read: was advised) not to drill in. This should be applauded by all. Instead you complain about drilling for oil in the desert.

The hydrogen deal has problems too: http://www.cornellsun.com/articles/7455/

I really loved his theory that global warming will reduce heating bills.

Leader?? ROFLOL!!! I think Cheney's in charge.

GL

Any deal will have problems. The issue is how much do the benefits outweigh the problems. In the case of the hydrogen economy, talk to scientists (like myself and my colleagues), not journalists. Journalists and political lobbists don't know a **** about technology or science. The hydrogen economy is quite possibly the ONLY option we have for long term energy conversion.

What has Cheney done besides have a heart attack and have random outbursts about political topics? It's a good thing Bush didn't die when he choked on that pretzel.

And to the comment about "bush lovers" (no pun intended); who are they? I haven't noticed anyone courageous enough to publically back our president. People only want to do what everyone else does. People all think they could do a better job, especially when they only get half the story.

Just a few comments about president clinton:

besides any economic or welfare reform, which I'm sure I have a different opinion on, here are some facts:

President Clinton took us to war (remember somalia?). Wonder how many soldiers died in that conflict, compared to Iraq.

C killed science funding to the point that the US cannot be a preeminent research power. We have fallen behind countries like S. Korea and Canada.

C LIED in a court of law, and never did time. Hows that for "connection" with the people.

Did C actually do anything in office, or just talk about how many women he had extramarital relations with during his political career?

gar2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gar2m4Send a Private Message to gar2m4Direct Link to This Post
In MI I just paid $1.88 for 92 octane.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
>< as I jump into a flame suit - and watch my rating bar go red ><

gasoline is CHEAP. milk costs more. we pay a $1.00 for a litre of water. I say jack up the gas tax BIG TIME. Maybe even alot a 25 gallons a month limit per car. boy that would suck in my suburban, but it is a ridiculous vehicle to drive myself back 'n forth to work in. I'm much more pissed about the cigarette taxes than the price of gas.

fourfoot23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourfoot23Send a Private Message to fourfoot23Direct Link to This Post
WOW, I was hoping somebody would have moved this by now...

Since it's here, I just gotta say...

The gas prices are relative to profits. I remember a couple years back (Here in Southern California) when the prices were down around $1.00/gallon at lunch time. I thought, "I need to fill up" but decided to wait till after work... Wouldn't you know it, in the space of a few hours, prices went up to $ 1.60/gallon.

Later that day, a friend who worked in a refinery told me his plant was told to cut back production... Seems the law of supply and demand fits rather nicely in the oil business. Apparently, the refineries saw the prices were too low so they fixed it.

As for Pres. Bush being a great leader??? Well, if that's your thing, then good luck to you. His very election (technically it was) made a mockery of our electoral system. Pres. Bush has decimated alliances in a couple years that took truly great men decades to establish. Everything concerning Pres. Bush is shrouded in mystery and secrecy.

The investigation on 9/11 seems to be Pres. Bushes main focus. He says, "We need to find out what happened" yet the biggest roadblocks in this investigation were coming from the White House...

It's a cryin' shame when we used to vote fopr the best man, now we only vote for who's not the worst...

PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps we should blame Alan Greenspan for allowing the value of the US dollar to drop.
It now takes more US dollars that are worth less to buy a barrel of oil than it did 6 months, 1 year and 1-1/2 years ago.
Its not that the price of oil has gone up in world terms versus Gold, Euro or Yen, it has not, rather, the dollar has lost so much value that it takes $37 weak Dollars when it used to take only $22 strong Dollars only a year and a half ago to purchase that same barrel of oil.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with "check wallet light"

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gar2m4:

In MI I just paid $1.88 for 92 octane.

gar2m4, you have a PM

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
I blame XXXX for XXXX. If it weren't for him I wouldn't have to XXXX so damn much. Stupid XXXX. This is why you should never vote for a XXXX.
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post

"Once again, you know nothing. Unlike you (I hate to stoop to your level and assume about things I have no proof of), I actually get to use my "peter", however "short" it may be. At least I can see it without moving a beer gut out of the way."

Where I speculated, you seem to know for a fact. You must be thinking of somebody you're more familiar with.

"Where was the last place that we drilled for oil? I don't care about desert. I do care about Alaska, which Bush decided (read: was advised) not to drill in. This should be applauded by all. Instead you complain about drilling for oil in the desert."

Now I know you're thinking of someone else. The link I provided was about drilling in ANWAR.

"What has Cheney done besides have a heart attack and have random outbursts about political topics? It's a good thing Bush didn't die when he choked on that pretzel."

It was Cheney's energy task force, remember?

"C LIED in a court of law, and never did time. Hows that for "connection" with the people."

No one died when Clinton lied. I never claimed Clinton was great, but he certainly didn't do as much damage as Bush has done.

GL

whobeyoube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2004 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whobeyoubeSend a Private Message to whobeyoubeDirect Link to This Post
Politics aside, I paid $2.48/gallon on my fill up today. New record I think and I'm a little pissed off about it. What will it be by Memorial day? $3 is not at all out of the question.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I usually try to stay out of political discussions, but since this topic has come up in the WRONG FORUM, I will make a comment about it.

Some of you liberals need to check yourselves. Bush won every recount they did in Florida, period. Besides that, none of you had any problem with the electoral system the way is set up (per instructions in the constitution) when it is "your people" who are the ones winning elections. My, how the worm has turned for you folks. Everything is "ok" with you as long as it is "your" people in power. Sure, Clinton lied in court and it didn't cost lives, unless you look at the millions of dollars that were wasted on the investigation and court proceedings. I would much rather that money have been spent on liberating some country that lives under the thumb of an evil dictator instead of appeasing those dictators. Sure, Clinton went in to Somalia to help with the problems they had, but if memory serves correctly, he did it without UN resolutions or approval. What kind of threat did Somalia pose to us? I don't remember the dictator of that country paying for assasins to kill our president nor allowing terrorists to train on airplane models in his borders. I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF YOUR LIBERAL DOUBLE STANDARD BS. Face it, Gore lost. It is time to MOVE ON. Don't get me wrong, I don't argree with Bush on everything. I don't agree with his policy on the borders and illegal immigrants. But for some reason I think it is more important to have someone in office who has moral values and core beliefs and will do what he thinks needs to be done and is right rather than "what looks good" for him politically.

Sorry about the rant but I am just sick of hearing people whine about Bush. Back to the topic at hand, there is something interesting with these gas prices. Why is it some areas have gone sky high and some have not? I traved to Indiana last weekend and gas jumped to $1.80/gal reg unlead there. I left Iowa when the gas was $1.58/gal and returned to $1.62/gal. I think something needs to be looked into about this matter. Furthermore, do you realize that in most states the taxes on gasoline are near or above $0.40 a gallon? These taxes are supposed to go to fix the roads but studies have shown that very little of this tax revenue makes it to the road projects, rather it gets diverted to politicians' pet projects. I think it is time you ALL started writing your local, state, and federal government representatives and DEMANDING some accountability on these taxes. I think that would be the fastest way to get some action (and possibly your gas prices reduced).

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
Gas for 88 octane is 1.70 here......I was thinking though....If the price of gas did go up to say 4 or $5 a gallon. Maybe ppl would stop buying huge vehicles that get 12 miles per gallon. It would suck for economy cars as well, but at least when some soccer gases up her excursion she would be paying $150-200 *whatever it takes to gas it up* to do so, then maybe ppl would park the real gas hog cars and manufacturers will actually make much more efficient vehicles.
Tugboat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TugboatSend a Private Message to TugboatDirect Link to This Post
Bush won by a decision of the supreme court on how the recount was to be conducted. Personally, I think the vote in Florida should have been redone. Get the republicans out (of the bars) to vote, help the old folks not vote for Buchannan, count all the absentee ballots, we could have waited to get the truth.

WHO caused millions of dollars to be wasted worrying about somebody's sex life? LOL

So maybe Arnie will tell us not to buy Hummers??

GL

[This message has been edited by Tugboat (edited 03-10-2004).]

454Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 454FieroSend a Private Message to 454FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnF:

Excuse my rant here but,

"Uncle Bush!!!" You would think the blame could be put where it belongs, here. Squarely on democrat tree huggers who consistantly vote NIMBY (not in my back yeard). They will not allow any drilling for our vast reserves in west coast (Calif/Wash)water, Alaskan ANWR, off the eastern sea board (and yes, even off the coast of Republican held Florida). These so called environmentalists also haven't allowed a new refinery to be built in the last 15 years - always in the name of "environmental protection".

Remember Al Gore"s much ballyhooed book "Earth in the Balance" where he called for gas prices to be $4 to $5.00 per gallon. That makes "Bush's" $1.64/gal seem cheap.

So, next time you want ot blame uncle Bush, call any DIMocrat Senator or Congress critter and tell them to start drilling for the vast reserves of oil available to Americans all 'round the U.S. and stop buying from the price setting OPEC countries.

If we had our own oil fields going fully, the OPEC countries would start pricing their oil at market driven prices or go out of business and oil would likely be less than $15.00 a barrel instead of the recent $37.00/bbl.

LMAO! coming from Texas (Bush hugger, capitol of the world) this response is HARDLY surprising

honestly, thats all this USA gas price hike is. OPEC is controlling the market for one reason and one reason only; to make a god awfull amount of money from hard working US citizens.

How many years has OPEC told the public that strife in the middle east due to Iraq/Iran/Saudi conflict was the root of the problem with rising gas prices?!

well, the US Invasion of Iraq put a swift end to that....did gas prices EVER go down?

This hike is such blatent greed its mind boggling. There is NO reason for it other than OPEC's monopoly of the industry for corprate greed, which i might add is SUPPOSED TO BE ILLEGAL IN THIS COUNTRY!

The government has been VERY quick to jump all over small business chains in past years for hiking up prices by a dime or two on minor comodities, so where are they now with the gas hike. Focusing all their attention everywhere else deceptively oblivious to the gas situation.

hmmmm.....wonder if things may be getting looked at if not for the fact that our DUI, trigger happy President werent the son of one of the largest US Oil tycoons in north America....

sure, democrats (dimocrats) have tried to get some crazy gas prices in the past, but hmm...what are the good'ol republicans doing NOW? now that prices ARE actually crazy? not a damn thing.

SOOO mr Texas bush @$$ kisser, biatch all you like at how democrats "could have" screwed gas prices, the FACT isyour loveley Oil grubbing Bush'whacked republicans are turning thier noses to the ACTUAL screwing RIGHT NOW....turning thier noses all the way to the bank while they get rediculas prices from hard working americans for the Oil in your back yard!

BTW,

By July Californians should expect their gas prices to look like this:
$3.11 Regular
$3.16 Midgrade
$3.21 Premium

------------------
--- 454, 3 isuzu trans and counting ---

[This message has been edited by 454Fiero (edited 03-10-2004).]

454Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 454FieroSend a Private Message to 454FieroDirect Link to This Post

454Fiero

170 posts
Member since Nov 2003

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

>< as I jump into a flame suit - and watch my rating bar go red ><

gasoline is CHEAP. milk costs more. we pay a $1.00 for a litre of water. I say jack up the gas tax BIG TIME. Maybe even alot a 25 gallons a month limit per car. boy that would suck in my suburban, but it is a ridiculous vehicle to drive myself back 'n forth to work in. I'm much more pissed about the cigarette taxes than the price of gas.

wow, so you drink 25 gallons of milk and 25 gallons of water a week? good grief! anyone who is more concerned with the cig tax is obviously an addict...

PFF
System Bot
454Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 454FieroSend a Private Message to 454FieroDirect Link to This Post
oh and i love how every damn republican points out how Clinton got a B'Job and lied...good grief! how can you call that a crime?! especially when Good old sh*t kick'in bush LIED to the world so he could invade a country?! bush had his trigger finger twitching towards saddam the second he was in office!

how many Innocent iraqies and Americans had to Die so Baby bush could achieve his daddys dreams?!

Bush has made this country look like the tyranical laughing stock of the planet it has become!

[This message has been edited by 454Fiero (edited 03-10-2004).]

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
At the risk of being flamed: we have no one but ourselves to blame for gas prices. Until we get serious about reducing our dependency on oil, we'll continue to be gouged. We can talk all we want about Democrats/Republicans, oil companies, and OPEC. But the bottom line is that until demand drops, prices will continue to go up.

What's CAFE like these days? Have we made huge strides since the oil shortages of the 70's? We've made progress, but 30 years worth? Hardly. What's the biggest selling type of automobile? SUVs and pickups, and what kind of mileage do these things get?

Should we all go out and get Geo Metros? Not necessarily, but until we start improving our average MPG, until we start encouraging car makers to build high MPG cars (by actually buying those cars), and until we change our driving habits, we're going to be stuck paying the high $$$. Why? Supply and demand, and right now we're demanding it.

[This message has been edited by GT86 (edited 03-10-2004).]

Jeremiah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JeremiahSend a Private Message to JeremiahDirect Link to This Post
I really am tired of seeing these suburbanites with their SUVs so big they can't park them in their garage. One of my coworkers has two neighbors on her street who can't park their car in their garage. What do these people need these things for? They are absolutely mammoth. I'm not saying people don't have a right to own them... but for Christ's sake. I hate them. The headlights are right in your eye and if you get hit by one in the side the bumper is going to go through your window instead of against your door. I tell you, it's getting dangerous for us in our little Fieros.

Originally posted by GT86:

At the risk of being flamed: we have no one but ourselves to blame for gas prices. Until we get serious about reducing our dependency on oil, we'll continue to be gouged. We can talk all we want about Democrats/Republicans, oil companies, and OPEC. But the bottom line is that until demand drops, prices will continue to go up.

What's CAFE like these days? Have we made huge strides since the oil shortages of the 70's? We've made progress, but 30 years worth? Hardly. What's the biggest selling type of automobile? SUVs and pickups, and what kind of mileage do these things get?

Should we all go out and get Geo Metros? Not necessarily, but until we start improving our average MPG, until we start encouraging car makers to build high MPG cars (by actually buying those cars), and until we change our driving habits, we're going to be stuck paying the high $$$. Why? Supply and demand, and right now we're demanding it.

bushroot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bushrootSend a Private Message to bushrootDirect Link to This Post
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bushroot:

[IMG ]https://images.fiero.nl/pffimages/sucks11_1.jpg[/IMG]

"+" for you, my friend!

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 03-10-2004).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2004 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Moving to TO/T.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock