Head Light Woes by Milton
Started on: 02-12-2004 09:03 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: spark1 on 02-14-2004 12:42 AM
Milton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiltonSend a Private Message to MiltonDirect Link to This Post
Need Some Headlight help, My right headlight quit raisng as of two days ago, so today it was warm enough for me to check it out.
My observations are as follows, On the left side when headlight switch is pressed the grey wire is hot and when the switch is off the green
wire is hot. On the right side the the grey wire is never hot. I ran a jumper from the left side and right light worked like normal, so im 100%
sure the headlight motor itself is fine. Now here is what im wondering from any of you experienced with the frontend wiring. The wiring seems to
run from the left to the right and inside the front bumper not a joy to get at from the look of things. Can anyone tell me if there is a harness or
a location up there where the left side meets the right side because im guessing thats where my problem is as the wire itself looks in good shape
and is in the protective black plastic shielding. Any help or tips would be great as saturday i plan to tackle it and if i have two will run a new wire
to replace the grey one on the right side but would prefer to find the actual bad connection.

Thanks In Advance. Edited to add year 1987 gt

[This message has been edited by Milton (edited 02-12-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
spark1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
There is a good article on headlight troubleshooting at Oliver Scholz's site http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/headlight.html. Also good information at Ogre's site. Here's a picture of the control module:
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i'm no help with the GEN II system (yet)
but here's a free bump.
Milton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiltonSend a Private Message to MiltonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help so far, I now know its not the fusible links as i have power on both sides of the fusibile links, so it seems the finderwell
is gonna have to come off to get to the control module and see if i have power into and leaving it for the right motor. Im hoping its just come unplugged
or corroded to the point of no connection and fiddling with the connectors will get me back in business.

Wish me luck, and again thanks for the quick replies + for you.

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
A short piece of 2 x 4 will come in handy to keep the fender liner out of the way.

Milton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiltonSend a Private Message to MiltonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Found the Broken Wire right at the connector that plugs into the control module. Havent decided on the easiest and best fix as its right at connection but at least i know exactly where and what the problem is. I really appreciate the help. Btw if anyone is curious i priced out the module this afternoon at Southgate Pontiac and its $252.00 canadian, Youch. Cars with same part number are Corvette 97-04 Sunbird 86 - ?? Firebired/Transam 86-89.

Thanks Again

spark1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2004 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The module, p/n 16523917 (thanks, Ogre) is $96.55 (U.S.) at GMPartsDirect.com. Should be available for a long time if still used on current Corvette.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock