3.1 L swap by Birdie
Started on: 12-14-2003 05:17 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: USFiero on 12-15-2003 09:49 PM
Birdie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2003 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BirdieSend a Private Message to BirdieDirect Link to This Post
hey any one out there done a 3.1 L swap from an iron duke. I was wondering what i truly have to do to pull it off. if i need any thing from the stock 3.1 L car and what to do first.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
You'll need the engine wiring harness and ECM from the donor car, a Fiero V6 mount for the motor, the fuel pump from the donor car, the fuel lines and filter from a V6 Fiero, etc. You'll have to fabricate an exhaust system, lots of splicing of wires, lots of little things to figure out. An iron-head motor would be easier than the aluminum head motor since it's closest to what the Fiero V6 is.

At a minimum you will also need both the Fiero factory service manual as well as the schematics or full service manual for the donor car so that you can figure out the wiring.

JazzMan

L44_87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2003 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L44_87GTSend a Private Message to L44_87GTDirect Link to This Post
do a 91-92 3.1 from a f-bod pretty much a direct drop in.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post12-14-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
That would be the easiest swap hardware wise, but consider that the original poster is starting out with a Duke, so there are lots of things that will be different including the ECM which he doesn't have for a V6.

There are a couple of ways of attacking this. One is to get all of the Fiero V6-specific wiring and fuel systems from another Fiero, then use the 3.1 long block with Fiero heads (the Fiero heads are hi-perf, the 3.1 heads are not). If he doesn't have or can't get the Fiero V-6 ECM, wiring, and fuel systems, then he can swap the 3.1 ECM and fuel system in but that's basically a full-on swap, similar in difficulty and any other non-Fiero motor swap like the 3800SC.

Starting with a Duke makes it hard no matter which way he goes.

JazzMan

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

(the Fiero heads are hi-perf, the 3.1 heads are not).

Starting with a Duke makes it hard no matter which way he goes.

JazzMan

All fuel injected 60 degree motors came with the same iron heads. The aluminum heads were different but the irons were all the same.
I do agree with the rest of your post in that going from a Duke is a harder swap then from V6 to V6. This becomes even more of a problem if this is an 84 Fiero as none of the V6 mount locations were drilled.
There really shouldn't be any trouble getting any of the needed Fiero V6 parts though as they are still plentiful.

------------------

Activities Director N.I.F.E.

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Because of teh routing of the fuel lines and the need to totally change the electronics I'd go for the 4.9 V8 conversion.

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock