Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Why can't I find any @#$%*&! aftermarket 88 wheels?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Why can't I find any @#$%*&! aftermarket 88 wheels? by will_p
Started on: 11-24-2003 10:09 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Gordo on 12-02-2003 08:22 PM
will_p

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for will_pSend a Private Message to will_pDirect Link to This Post
I've searched all over the internet and all over this forum and i can not find any aftermarket wheels that are 16"x6-7 in the front and 16"x7-8 in the rear. Im going out of my mind trying to find some lighter than stock wheels that look good, fit, and are not extremely expensive. I have failed to do so and am getting frustrated. i have found plenty of wheels that fit but none that you can get the same diameter with a different width so you can have the best possible handling. I would also like to have white painted wheels... is there any friggin wheels out there that fit? if so where are they? please help... p.s. I dont really like the Konig Tantrums, I know they would fit but they are too much $$$$ and I would rather have 16" wheels. Any help is greatly apprecieated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I run 6.5" wheels on 2 of my 88s, they look fine. As for white wheels 16" Primax style 104 come in white

[This message has been edited by Phil (edited 11-24-2003).]

2000RagTop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Check this site.... http://www.americanracing.com/

what's nice is you can see what the wheels will
look like on your car with just a couple of "clicks"

Good luck in your search
-Michael

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/Sun Roof/ Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops-Mores Pix https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031475.html

Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Just get the same width wheels with different width tires. I've got 16x7.5" wheels on my '88. I have 225's on the rear, and 205's on the front. No problems.

BTW: www.whalentire.com is pretty good.

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
You can also get wheels with a deeper offset for the front to help keep that even look. Combine a deeper offset with a thinner tire up front and you wont really notice.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Several models of TSW wheels are available in different offsets, front to back. If you don't mind going to 18s, they can be had in different widths and offsets. Or you can stagger sizes, front to back.

Discount tire has a good database. "Do a search by brand" www.tires.com

FWIW, The car in the pic below is an 88 with 17x7, 40mm wheels front and rear. The tire sizes are 215/45 in the front, and 235/45 in the rear.

------------------
Raydar
88 3.4 coupe.

Coming soon...
88 Formula, presently under the knife.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-25-2003).]

Dave Mathis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave MathisSend a Private Message to Dave MathisDirect Link to This Post
Does this mean that my '88 GT with all four alike wheels and tires would look "uneven" or handle poorly? I would prefer all four to be the same so that they could be rotated properly.
DM
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2000RagTop:

Check this site.... http://www.americanracing.com/

what's nice is you can see what the wheels will look like on your car with just a couple of "clicks"

Did anyone else notice in their "Application Guide", that the Fiero is listed as having model years from 1984 through 1990?

Rainman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dave Mathis:

Does this mean that my '88 GT with all four alike wheels and tires would look "uneven" or handle poorly? I would prefer all four to be the same so that they could be rotated properly.
DM

I had this same concern, but even with 16x7.5" wheels all around, the car looks balanced, and handles very well.

Think of it this way, the '88 coupes came with 14x6 all around, factory.

Not a good head-on shot, but it gives you sort of an idea. http://www.siscom.net/~csp23/photo/formula/Tof00006.jpg

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 11-25-2003).]

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
I have been searching for wheels for a while now, that look like spider webs. I do not think I will ever find them. And I don't really want to spend 5 or 6 grand a wheel haveing them made.
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
A little tough in the 16" size. Rota makes a very light wheel called the Slipstream in a 16X7 inch (40mm offset). Weighs only about 13.5 lbs. They make the same wheel in a 15X6.5 and at 15.7... all with 5x100 bolt pattern. Rota's stock is a little thin on the 5x100 sizes. If you want to step up to a 17" combination, Team Dynamics makes the ProRace 1 wheel in a 17X7 and a 17X8 (several offsets including 35 mm). The weight is a little more (16-20 lbs) depending on size and offset, but still reasonably light considering the size. I have some of their wheel on order at this time.

------------------
FierOmar

PFF
System Bot
Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
If you're getting a 7" wheel in the front, try to get at least a 45mm offset.

no good front shots handy, but 17x7 48mm offset with 215/45 17" tires on front, and 18x7.5" 42mm offset with 245/40 tires on rear.

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed click for more pics
1986 GT 5 speed
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Standard
Thank you for posting the info on your wheels, I also have an 88 and have been looking for this info for a while

BTW your car is one of my favorites, I think it looks great

FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
The Team Dynamics Pro Race 1 looks similar to Standard's wheels (except they have 12 spokes and are probably lighter). They come in Black, White, Bronze, Ice Silver, and High Power Silver. However, they can be ordered without any coating and powder coated to any color you like. To see a sample (4 bolt on a Volvo) look at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445541283&category=38662.
Otherwise, go to TD's website at www.rimstock.co.uk. BTW the 17" wheels are available in 7, 7.5, and 8" wheels with various offsets from 23mm through 48 mm.

------------------
FierOmar

will_p

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for will_pSend a Private Message to will_pDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help guys... one more question though... If I get wheels that are both 7" in front and rear what would be the best off set... like on the prorace wheels maybe something like 48mm in front and 40 in rear? or what would be the best??
FierOmar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
For same width wheels (e.g. 7"), rather than go 48mm front and 40mm rear, I would consider 35mm front and 30mm rear (or even 23mm rear). Although I am not certain, I would think that the 48mm offset on the front might be too much, particularly on an 7" wide wheel. Maybe some others have had experience in this area.

------------------
FierOmar

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
The wheels I was looking at are Sport Edition Fox 5's. You can find them at tire rack. IIRC, They are available in a 16x7 50mm offset and 17x7.5 35mm offset. Theyre also available in other sizes, but this was the combo I want to go with. You have to ask for different offsets from tirerack. They want to give you a 16x7 with a 35mm offset instead of 50mm. The 16 in the front would keep the outer lip of the wheel in the stock location, the 17 in the rear would be a little wider than stock location. The wheels are fairly inexpensive, but I dont know how much they weigh. Here's a good site for finding what offsets you need.
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing a ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • I Keep them in seperate garages and never take the bra off of one.
  • Black 88 formula-stock black and tan.
  • My Shower Cam
Gordo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2003 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rainman:

I had this same concern, but even with 16x7.5" wheels all around, the car looks balanced, and handles very well.

Think of it this way, the '88 coupes came with 14x6 all around, factory.

Not a good head-on shot, but it gives you sort of an idea. http://www.siscom.net/~csp23/photo/formula/Tof00006.jpg

[This message has been edited by Rainman (edited 11-25-2003).]

True. The track width front to back is nearly identical

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock