6 Speed sequential by FXRseen
Started on: 05-08-2003 02:16 AM
Replies: 242
Last post by: fieroturbo on 04-03-2004 08:31 AM
FXRseen

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
Wow this would be nice to have. I bet it costs a bit more than the Fiero is worth but still would be cool to have.
http://www.xtrac.com/mainindex.htm
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FXRseen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
Would this work if you did have the money. The FWD one looks sort of like the Getrag huh? Has anyone else ever done something like this?
iluvmacs

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
What kind of cost are we talking here? This would be perfect for my SCCA project, unless the transmission costs more than the car.

Any idea where to pick up used sequential transmissions?

Forbidden Doughnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forbidden DoughnutSend a Private Message to Forbidden DoughnutDirect Link to This Post
Quaife also manufactures a six speed sequential. If memory serves, it costs about 20K.

-FD

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
DMS is working on a 5 and 6 speed manual (nothing sequential) as a direct replacement for the stock tranny. It will bolt up to any 2.5, .8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.4 DOHC, etc. Good for use in Fieros, Grand Prix, Lumina, Monte Carlo, etc.

We're looking at a price point consistant with a Getrag 282.

The best news is that there will be a 450+ HP version

More to follow... Still in the casting phase but the tranny itself is worked out.

DKOV -
DKOV Motorsports (DMS)

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
DKOV: You are the answer to a lot of fiero owner's wishes!! Awesome!! Keep us updated.

I would like a nice 6-speed.

Will they be hydrolic or cable?

------------------
#7277 of 46581 built in 1987.

My thoughts are on you Sean and Chris! Come back safe!

Mr. Pat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. PatClick Here to visit Mr. Pat's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr. PatDirect Link to This Post
How about an Auto that can hold those kinds of numbers? Im lazy, and want an Automatic.
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xantavar:

DKOV: You are the answer to a lot of fiero owner's wishes!! Awesome!! Keep us updated.

I would like a nice 6-speed.

Will they be hydrolic or cable?

Not neccesarily the "dreams" that qued us in but the sheer cost of 282s and 284s anymore. Add to that the massive demand from the w-body crowd...

The transmission will be hydraulic. Linkage will be cable.

ETA? I'm nor sure at this point. As you can imagine, designing a tranny like this from scratch can me expensive and time consuming.

I'll promise to keep you updated.

DKOV -

DRH

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRHSend a Private Message to DRHDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKOV:

Not neccesarily the "dreams" that qued us in but the sheer cost of 282s and 284s anymore. Add to that the massive demand from the w-body crowd...

The transmission will be hydraulic. Linkage will be cable.

ETA? I'm nor sure at this point. As you can imagine, designing a tranny like this from scratch can me expensive and time consuming.

I'll promise to keep you updated.

DKOV -

Why not make it with a seperate bellhousing? Then you could have a V6 version and a SBC version (with a bellhousing that would hold a "real" clutch)! The axle clearing the bellhousing might still be a problem though...

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if you noticed, but the new grand prix has a steering wheel/paddle shift automatic... and its bolted to a 3800 series 3(?) supercharged... hmmmm

------------------

"How do I get one of those Smileys that rolls back and forth accross the screen?" -Archie

Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post
How do I get one of them really big smileys?

The best news is that there will be a 450+ HP version

Just how big might that "+" be?

PFF
System Bot
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
Why not use a volkwagen auto trans. drove on the outher day and it is a 6 speed.
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick's Dad:
Just how big might that "+" be?

There is talk about a tranny capable of 650HP but I'm concerned about the size of it. It's a long shot at best to ever fit it in the Fiero. However, the other option is a 495 rated tranny that will probably hold at least 550.

It really depnds on cost. We are trying to devise a medium ground solution that will act as our "bulk" order item to get our pricing established with a few custom high torque/HP trannies along the way.

The really cool thing is that, so far, they seem to be around 50 lbs LIGHTER than a Getrag. So there's another "+"

DKOV -

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh 6spd. I wish. Someday.

------------------
David hotrodfiero@shaw.ca
85GT 2.9 4spd

www.david.westcoastfieros.com

Forbidden Doughnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Forbidden DoughnutSend a Private Message to Forbidden DoughnutDirect Link to This Post
I am trying very hard to contain my excitement, so I'm just going to ask what sort of a time frame we would be looking at here?

-FD

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
If all continues and luck is with us... by fall-ish. Maybe sooner but I'm trying not to be optomisitc.

DKOV -
DMS

[This message has been edited by DKOV (edited 05-09-2003).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

There is talk about a tranny capable of 650HP but I'm concerned about the size of it. It's a long shot at best to ever fit it in the Fiero. However, the other option is a 495 rated tranny that will probably hold at least 550.

The really cool thing is that, so far, they seem to be around 50 lbs LIGHTER than a Getrag. So there's another "+"

Now waitaminnit... The Getrag already weighs less than 100 lbs. You're saying that your transmission will only weigh 50 lbs but be able to take a huge amount of torque? Hmmm...

I don't really know how the W-body chassis is layed out, but adding an extra gear, with extra width on all the gears to take the torque you're talking about is going to make the transmission much longer. Packaging is always a concern. That's why Ford/Getrag used a dual layshaft design in the SVT Focus transmission.

If you can pull it off, great. I second the interchangeable bellhousing idea.

Forbidden Doughnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Forbidden DoughnutSend a Private Message to Forbidden DoughnutDirect Link to This Post
One more question...Is there going to be a limited slip available?

-FD

FXRseen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
Wow there is some interesting comments rolling in. I guess the reason I started this thread is because xtrac is used in almost all the rally cars lately. So I'm sure they would have something that would work. On the site check out "Markets and Products" then "Gearboxes" then a list of gearboxes will show up look at the one that says "Transverse FWD Touring / Rally Car Gearbox". This one looks just like the Getrag, well almost.

DKOV I notice that you live in Portland OR. I live in Vancouver WA. So your're saying your're (or company) developing a transmission for the Fieros and like cars? I would be interested in seeing some of your work if possible? What kind of Fieros do you have?

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Now waitaminnit... The Getrag already weighs less than 100 lbs. You're saying that your transmission will only weigh 50 lbs but be able to take a huge amount of torque? Hmmm...

I don't really know how the W-body chassis is layed out, but adding an extra gear, with extra width on all the gears to take the torque you're talking about is going to make the transmission much longer. Packaging is always a concern. That's why Ford/Getrag used a dual layshaft design in the SVT Focus transmission.

If you can pull it off, great. I second the interchangeable bellhousing idea.

I should have been more clear... lighter than the Getrag 284 which weighs in at a whopping 141 lbs. Also, I meant comparing 5-speed to 5-speed... not the 6 speed.

Sorry about that.

Funny you should mention the dual layshaft design

DKOV -

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

DKOV

1564 posts
Member since Mar 2001

Originally posted by Forbidden Doughnut:

One more question...Is there going to be a limited slip available?

-FD

No talk on that at all.

DKOV -

PFF
System Bot
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FXRseen:

Wow there is some interesting comments rolling in. I guess the reason I started this thread is because xtrac is used in almost all the rally cars lately. So I'm sure they would have something that would work. On the site check out "Markets and Products" then "Gearboxes" then a list of gearboxes will show up look at the one that says "Transverse FWD Touring / Rally Car Gearbox". This one looks just like the Getrag, well almost.

DKOV I notice that you live in Portland OR. I live in Vancouver WA. So your're saying your're (or company) developing a transmission for the Fieros and like cars? I would be interested in seeing some of your work if possible? What kind of Fieros do you have?

I actually live in Vancouver as well... when I signed up on Pennocks, I lived in Portland but like many... made the move to greener lots, cheaper taxes and slower pace

I'm in the Fisher's landing area. You?

DKOV -

FXRseen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
I live by the Mall. I just bought a house by Padden Parkway and 205. Yeah Fishers Landing is not far. What Fieros do you have? I have a 97GT that is not running well and I can't figure out what is wrong with it. So I'm just going to swap out the engine.
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Wow... you have that rare and unique 97 GT? I have no idea how to work on a 97 Fiero. I've never seen one before. If you mean 87, then I might be able to help. LOL!!!

I have an 88 GT with a 3.4L TDC Turbocharged motor, 284 getrag tranny, tubular racing suspension, 13 inch brakes and, oh... and a ferrari 355 body on it

I also have an 88 2.5L that I recently converted to a 2.8 V6. Technically, I still have an Silver 85 GT that I have "sold" to a friend that hasn't paid me for in about 2 years

I just sold my Lotus Esprit Turbo, so you missed that "fiero alternative". I have a Supercharged Durango 5.9 R/T with everything else.

Depending on when you visit, you may see an F355 Spider here (replica), an F40 (also replica), a 348ts (real), a 328 (real) or a Venom Viper GTS (real) or some other "project". It's all a matter of timing.

Email me or give me a call at 360-721-1316. Leave a message if you don't get me.

DKOV -

FXRseen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
uh yeah that's what I meant 87GT duh I would love to see some of your cars. You have a phone call.
Patrick's Dad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick's DadClick Here to visit Patrick's Dad's HomePageSend a Private Message to Patrick's DadDirect Link to This Post

I think that you'll need a test mule... you know, make sure it can take the rigors of a New England winter... yeah, and , well, what I'm planning, engine wise....

Does DMS have a website or other place (other than searching PFF) to keep up on the status of this particular project (and/or others)?

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Yes... the website is www.dkovmotorsports.com but is still in developement. If you try it now, it will direct you to www.gopc.com/dmsx.html

Sorry it's delayed but it's coming

DKOV -

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2003 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FXRseen:

uh yeah that's what I meant 87GT duh I would love to see some of your cars. You have a phone call.

Thanks for stopping by today. It was a bit crazy with my two boys running around and getting into everything. I hope I wasn't to distracted and gave you a good tour and information.

I look forward to working on your car on Wednesday.

Best,

DKOV -
DMS

iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2003 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
What year was your Lotus? If you have 2 kids and can afford a Lotus maybe someday I could...

I love the esprit turbo, and it's one of the reasons I like the mid engine cars so much.

If anyone is doing work on transmissions, they need to make the throwout bearing reliable and easy to move. This would make using the clutch a much more enjoyable experience.

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
It was a 1991 X180R enhanced Esprit Turbo. Pretty sweet car... I loved it.

I bought it for the explicit purpose of restoring it and selling it, which I ultimately did... a YEAR after I planned to

It was hard parting with it.

I actually have THREE kids, my two boys were here when FXR stopped by. They are 3 and 2 yrs old. My 3 month old daughter was with Mom at that time... lucky for me

Honestly, for a car that looks like a Million Dollars but costs half of what a Ferrari does... You can't beat the value. It performed like nothing else and got more looks than any other exotic. In all the years I've lived in this area, I've seen 2 other Esprits except my own. One at a Lotus Club meet that came down from Seattle and the other that was in pieces that I was helping to restore.

To make my car even more unique, Emmerson Fittipaldi autographed the dash during the CART race last year! What a priviledge!

I have seen more F40s, F50s, F355s, Countachs, Diablos... you name it. Nothing is more rare and more exotic than an Esprit in my opinion. Especially an X180R. Except maybe a Sport 350 Esprit, of which there are only 8 and I'm helping to rebuild one of them.

Here's a pic for ya...

DKOV -

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post

DKOV

1564 posts
Member since Mar 2001
Can't help it... one more pic. My favorite pic

DKOV -

PFF
System Bot
FXRseen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2003 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXRseenSend a Private Message to FXRseenDirect Link to This Post
Sweet car. I had fun checking out your project at your house. Hope to help out with some things soon. I'll check with you to see when we can work on our Fieros. Thanks
Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to change out the Auto tranny in the car I'm getting when I change out the engine for a 3.4 DOHC or 3.5 DOHC (dunno which...) for a manuel, I was looking at just a getrag 282, but if this 6 speed comes out, that'd be great!! How much?
DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
We are not doing a sequential 6 speed. It will be a manual 6 speed. ETA... late summer-ish. Cost... in line with a Getrag 282 and definately less than a 284. My hope it to get it less than $1800 new with full warranty. Getrags are running about $2300 for a new 282 and $2500 for a REBUILT 284.

By the way, the official dry weight looks to be 97 lbs. That is only slightly lighter than a dry 282 at 105 lbs and a whole lot lighter than a dry 284 ar 141 lbs.

DKOV -
DMS

gixxer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gixxerSend a Private Message to gixxerDirect Link to This Post
Looks like an plain jane '88 Esprit Turbo to me.
Has the '88 only (U.S.) rear wheels, which only work with the earlier inboard brakes and Citroen trans, '88 mirrors and an '89 1/2 and up SE front end.
SO what is that Lotus, actually?
All Stevens' Esprits are called X-180s.
Yours doesn't look like an X-180R.
But it does look nice.
I have an '89 Esprit so I know what they look like...
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
One thing you havn't answered yet but I'm very interested in is having a bellhousing that will bolt up to a sbc. You could be a major suplier of manual transmissions for the big horsepower crowd.

I'm excited, my next swap will be a sbc, need a trani to reliably hold up to 400+hp!

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

We are not doing a sequential 6 speed. It will be a manual 6 speed. ETA... late summer-ish. Cost... in line with a Getrag 282 and definately less than a 284. My hope it to get it less than $1800 new with full warranty. Getrags are running about $2300 for a new 282 and $2500 for a REBUILT 284.

By the way, the official dry weight looks to be 97 lbs. That is only slightly lighter than a dry 282 at 105 lbs and a whole lot lighter than a dry 284 ar 141 lbs.

DKOV -
DMS

I know it's not going to be sequential (I have been keeping up ), it would be like $25,000 then, lol! So the 6-speed WILL be able to bolt up to the 3.4L DOHC and use the fiero man. linkage? or will I need to put in a diffrent linkage?

Does anyone know how much it would cost to change an automatic to a man. ? Would it be too difficult for me to do???

------------------
<>{RazorWing}<>

1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
YOU NEED TO MAKE A SMALL BLOCK BELLHOUSING. Think about it, every small block will be able to bolt up to it, including the 4.3's. Make 2 different bellhousing versions that can be easily unbloted, one for v6's, and then the one for the small block's, and 4.3.

------------------
PONTIAC FIERO OUTLAW

-JESSE JAMES-

1984 Pontiac Fiero SE
Project Weekend Warrior has started...
(350 SBC) :)

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Are you using gears and synchros from something else (T56?) because I wouldn't think you could POSSIBLY supply it for that kind of price and cut your own gears. BTW, I get 282's for $80 each from the local U-Pull-It

Having a SBC bell housing probably would not be economical, as only a small fraction of the market would want them. Think about the number of SBC Fiero guys compared to the number of people who want a strong manual trans for their FWD wheelspin wonder.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2003 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000
Are you using a custom diff carrier, or borrowing the form factor from something else? If you borrow the diff dimensions from a common transaxle with available Quaife, then the Quaife will also fit your transaxle.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock