Started on: 10-29-2003 06:20 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: fiero_silva on 10-31-2003 08:02 PM
fiero_silva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
i'm in the process of shaving my door handles and mouldings, i was wondering what strength solenoid i should use to pull the door latch. funds are limited so i dont want to go with more strenght than is needed. my options are:
11LB pull
15LB pull
35LB pull
50LB pull

I was thinking the 15LB pull would be enough but i just wanted a second oppinion.

thanks,
AL

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
In most applications 15 lb is just enough to do the job, and sometimes will not pop the door open, espeially when the car is parked at an odd angle on an incline, with teh twisting of the chassis, it can take more pull to open the door, it doesn't take much.

If funds allow the 35 lb, go with those, but like I said 15 lb will work, just not as well.

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid 13.873 @ 99.08

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
I've seen recommendations of 35 lbs for bearclaw latches and 50 lbs for old cars and trucks.

Given that a Fiero door and a Honda door are a little different in heft, I'd want to err on the heavy duty side. That Fiero door is about 90 lbs in weight.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroBUZZ:

Given that a Fiero door and a Honda door are a little different in heft, I'd want to err on the heavy duty side.

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
lol...
Easy Smooooth, Easy...
timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
dont forget you also need spring plungers (mounted in jam ) they are what push the door out
but man that is a kik a$$ mod i love it
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
How are you going to set up your back-up entry? Hard wired I presume.

Still trying to figure out were to run mine to incase the battery dies.

John

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Timmer: "spring plungers" are know as Poppers, I've order 2 adjustable aluminum ones.

I'm going to have a manual back up on the drivers door. It will be a steel cable with a finger sized loop on the end somewhere outside the car for backup. To release the latch you simply pull on the Loop with pulls on the door latch.

So, will 35lbs pull be enough pull for the door latch soleniods??

Al

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like a kewl a$$ mod! Where can I get info.....sellers...prices? Thanks.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
I'm using all Autoloc products, I believe the other big name in shaved door handle electronics is SPAL?
www.autoloc.com www.autoloc.ca

I'm using the US products because there is more to choose from and I've been told they are of better quality.

I will most likely be using the SVPROA316 model, it has a built in alarm, 16 channel reciever, 2 4 button remotes, programable, 35lb solenoids........ I will be adding a Radar sensor to detect people before they touch the car and I will also be adding their paging system.

The price for that kit ranges between 500-800$ cdn,

you could do shaved door handles for FAR less, like 150-200$ for the electronics.

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Yo, Silva - I bought my last shave kit from http://www.customclassic.com/ in Texas but lately I found http://www.velocitymotorsport.com/ in Manitoba fairly competitive. I would recommend getting quotes from both, with shipping and comparing. Nice guys run both shops, easy to deal with and I would definately buy from either again. Either could give you a recommendation on the solenoid, too. What strength you'll need depends more on the condition of your latch than anything else. Too heavy will bugger up your latch.

IMO, do it without the poppers to start. If you decide you need them afterwards, they're easy to add in.

PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero_silva:

I'm using all Autoloc products, I believe the other big name in shaved door handle electronics is SPAL?
www.autoloc.com www.autoloc.ca

I'm using the US products because there is more to choose from and I've been told they are of better quality.

I will most likely be using the SVPROA316 model, it has a built in alarm, 16 channel reciever, 2 4 button remotes, programable, 35lb solenoids........ I will be adding a Radar sensor to detect people before they touch the car and I will also be adding their paging system.

The price for that kit ranges between 500-800$ cdn,

you could do shaved door handles for FAR less, like 150-200$ for the electronics.

Thanks dude......I'm sure this will be of much help.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
I would agree with 'StinkinV8' and not mount the door poppers 1st! In my replica, when unlatched(by remote), the doors actually 'pop' open as there is some tension within your window seal. It will open mine 1-2 inches. My door poppers are sitting in a box somewhere!
BTW... my solenoids are 15lbs and work fine!
Sandy
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986GTV8:

How are you going to set up your back-up entry? Hard wired I presume.

Still trying to figure out were to run mine to incase the battery dies.

John

ah, this is the beauty of this mod on fieros. you don't need to! the batteries in the back, assuming you leave the keyhole you can pop the trunk without power and boost the car which will give you all the power you need. if you shave that though, i think you asking for trouble. or it's not gonna be a daily driver i guess. when i do this i'm not planning on having a very accessible way to open the door. i think i'd be more likely to hook up a back-up battery so you got at least one more pop left no matter what.

[This message has been edited by fierce_gt (edited 10-31-2003).]

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
Stinkin_V8 thanks for the info, I live in MB so i will be checking out Velocity very soon.

Fierce: I will be shaving the trunk key hole however i will have a high current wire run from the + of the battery to somewhere outside the car so i could boost the car from the wire without having to get the trunk open. I will also have a mechanical link hidden somewhere on the car to open one of the door latches and another one to open the trunk if its latch ever fails.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock