Rebuilding a 3.4 DOHC anyone? by Eric_PA
Started on: 09-13-2003 11:32 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Eric_PA on 09-14-2003 12:10 AM
Eric_PA

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_PASend a Private Message to Eric_PADirect Link to This Post
Has anyone here ever rebuilt a 3.4 DOHC engine? I am planning on starting a new fiero project and I may take this route. I am considering a turbo setup, but with a good performance rebuild, the 3.4 may put out some very impressive numbers as a NA engine. I can't find much info on this little beast, but am not going to give up. I have one ready to be installed, but with the gathering of extra parts, I will be getting a second one for a rebuild. Any sugestions on what to do and where to find info would be greatly appreciated. Also, I heard of some sort of technical book from GM on this engine. Anyone hear of this?

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85frankenstein

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I'm in the process of rebuilding/modifying mine. The parts can be difficult to find locally, so I decided to go with www.newengineparts.com. They're really cool there and have the listing and parts available from a basic rebuild to a complete long block and everwhere inbetween. As far as a book is concerned, I just grabbed the Hayne's manual from the donor car for the basic specs.

If you want more info on the swap, www.dohcfiero.com

While we are continuing to build the archive, there already is quite a bit of info there that is constantly being tweaked. It's a work in progress, but is a very good source none the less.

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eric_PA:

Has anyone here ever rebuilt a 3.4 DOHC engine? I am planning on starting a new fiero project and I may take this route. I am considering a turbo setup, but with a good performance rebuild, the 3.4 may put out some very impressive numbers as a NA engine. I can't find much info on this little beast, but am not going to give up. I have one ready to be installed, but with the gathering of extra parts, I will be getting a second one for a rebuild. Any sugestions on what to do and where to find info would be greatly appreciated. Also, I heard of some sort of technical book from GM on this engine. Anyone hear of this?

Thanks

Yes. The factory service manual is pretty clear on the rebuild. There's nothing really difficult about rebuilding them. Straight forward. You need to buy/fab a couple of special tools for the cams. The gasket set is somewhat expensive but it does contain a lot of gaskets ($300 if I remember correctly).

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 09-13-2003).]

sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastDirect Link to This Post
I am rebuilding a DOHC 3.4. It looked to me like parts for these things are fairly expensive, so I pulled two whole engines at the junkyard. Both engines are now apart. I am waiting for the crankshaft to come back from the machine shop. The actual rebuld does not look out of the orinary. So far, I have not acquired a manual as my machine shop has been able to tell me everything I need to know. I will probably buy a shop manual when I get into it though.
Bill Temple
85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Guys,

Seriously, try newengineparts.com.I just called them 2 days ago and got quotes...

Gasket Kit 126.00, Main Bearings 17.00, Rod Bearings 10.00, Cam Bearings 9.00... etc. They are VERY competitive and are eager to work with us.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85frankenstein:

Guys,

Seriously, try newengineparts.com.I just called them 2 days ago and got quotes...

Gasket Kit 126.00, Main Bearings 17.00, Rod Bearings 10.00, Cam Bearings 9.00... etc. They are VERY competitive and are eager to work with us.

Does that $126 include *all* gaskets? (Pan, heads, etc.) If so, that's a good price.

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
I can't answer first hand what comes in the gasket kit just yet as I haven't received mine yet, but judging by their price quote of a whole rebuild being in the ballpark of $440 (including pistons and such but excluding timing belt). Shoot, completely rebuilt heads at $330 a piece is pretty darn good too. Now I can't get into their online database for a complete breakdown. I think the firewall I put up is limiting it somehow, though not sure how. But maybe you can, or give 'em a call at their 800 number. Otherwise, I'll post the info when I get mine.

Bob

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
The $200 I quotes was for all gaskets. The GM kit is minus the lower stuff so the head gaskets etc. push it up to $200-ish.
Eric_PA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_PASend a Private Message to Eric_PADirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info ...

Am I understanding something right here. According to the newengineparts.com website, the 3.4 DOHC shares some of the same parts as the QUAD 4 engine. On the website not much info is provided as far as what is included with gasket kits. If I rebuild one of these things, I'm not doing a stock rebuild. It's going to be drastic I am already looking into custom ground cam profiles from a company I dealt with for my last application

I'll have to check into that manual TK. Any idea on what the cam tool costs?

[This message has been edited by Eric_PA (edited 09-13-2003).]

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I paid $45 for the lock down and cam turning tools. I'll try to find the catalog.

Let me know what the cams cost you. The best quote I got was $1000 for all four.

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2003 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
Well I did my tools at home. No cost where involved. I only needed 2 tools, the sprocket holder and cam hold down. You can get the info here --> http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=3

DreX

PFF
System Bot
Eric_PA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Eric_PASend a Private Message to Eric_PADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DreXteR:

Well I did my tools at home. No cost where involved. I only needed 2 tools, the sprocket holder and cam hold down. You can get the info here --> http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=3

DreX

I can't beleive I didn't see that on the 60degreev6 web site. Thanks Drex, looks like a very simple tool to make.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock