Started on: 09-12-2003 08:33 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Gordo on 09-13-2003 09:51 PM
htexans1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 118
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2003 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for htexans1Send a Private Message to htexans1Direct Link to This Post
Hi,
Has anyone sucessfully recovered a T-top headliner? If so could you tell me how to do the headliner? If its to difficult, I guess I could take it to a shop that does interior work. Secondly, what other car model visors, with mirrors would fit the Fiero? my visors are shot.
Thanks
Sammy Williams

------------------
1988 Fiero Formula T-tops
CJB 143 of 1252 "factory T-top cars"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I have a few steps on how I did my headliner in the following thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/029407-2.html

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Thread

Gordo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GordoSend a Private Message to GordoDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the headliner in my wife's t-top.

As you can see, the entire liner & backer board was shot.

I used a new backer board from one of our parts cars and reinforced the underside with epoxy resin

I test fit the backer board in place (without the fabric) and then cut out the t-top openings. You will have to cover the entire interior of your car with a tarp for this job, I radiused the edges of the cutout, but had to reinforce the dome light hole with steel straps because there was about 1/4in of actual material left on each side. I bonded the new material with 3-M trim adhesive & then re-installed it. I cut the cloth leaving about 3 inches of extra material around the openings, added more adhesive to the back of the cloth and then wrapped it into the weatherstrip channel. Did I forget to mention that you will have to remove the weatherstripping? I used a sharp chisel to cut through the weatherstrip adhesive. Be very careful not to damage the rubber as it is nearly impossible to find a replacement. You will need help to hold the new headliner in place while you fasten it because the backer board will still be very weak.

The headliner actually looks better than oem because the cloth is padded on the sides where it wraps around. The original method is to install a complete headliner unit and carefully cut through the backing. Then they peel the cut-outs from the headliner cloth which rips most of the foam from it. This project is a pain in the a$$ but you can do it. Good luck!

If I were to do it again, I would cut the openings before I reinforce the board with fiberglass. The oem backer cuts very easily with a kitchen knife or hacksaw blade, but not after it has been fiberglassed.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gordo (edited 09-13-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Gordo (edited 09-13-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock