Started on: 05-29-2003 09:54 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-31-2003 09:43 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I am an 85GT ECM in my 85GT, I have a knock sensor from 3.1 liter. I want to make it work. I am not sure what needs to be done. I have heard from some people that it is a simple plug and go, and other people tell me that I need to get a custom chip burned. Is there anyone on here that has the chip programer that can do 2 simple mods for me. Turn on the programing for the knock sensor and get rid of the damn rev limiter.

I might be able to get a chip from an old designe one kit, but it is designed for a turbo car and I do not have a turbo car.

If you want to know why I want the knock sensor, it is really just becuase I am going to be doing future mods that it will help with and seeing as I have the parts I want to get it done now. I am thinking about diffrent power adders, turbo, NOS, higher compression. I currently have hyperutectic pistons. Even if the knock sensor wont stop all detonation, but it will help in case of a drastic problem.

Any info is helpfull, becuase I have no info at all at this point.

------------------
David hotrodfiero@shaw.ca
85GT 2.9 4spd

www.david.westcoastfieros.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
No, you need the ESC filter module and the ESC error code and ESC flag enabled on the chip. Actually, you don't need the error code enabled but it's nice to know when the ESC fails....

It's all disabled in the stock chip.

Terry

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-29-2003).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

No, you need the ESC filter module and the ESC error code and ESC flag enabled on the chip. Actually, you don't need the error code enabled but it's nice to know when the ESC fails....

It's all disabled in the stock chip.

Terry

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-29-2003).]

Ok so I need another module. Hmm I guess it is time to hit the wrecking yards. Now it is finding someone that can turn on the options in the chip.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Ok so I need another module. Hmm I guess it is time to hit the wrecking yards. Now it is finding someone that can turn on the options in the chip.

Search the forum. I've listed the part numbers a billion times (which doesn't explain why I can't list them now.)

Then contact Kevin Margitta at Speaker Connection in Toronto. He can make the chip with the ESC stuff enabled for you. I don't like the trouble of getting stuff into Canada.

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

TK

10013 posts
Member since Aug 2002
The ESC module is part no. 16126761, brodcast code ANRZ. I know this is used on other applications but I don't know which ones. Ask a dealer to do a "where used".

Knock sensor is P/N 10456287.

ESC signal is fed into terminal B7.

Ask Kevin to enable Code 43 and the ESC. Tell him to use only the highest quality editor from west of the Pecos.

You will also need some basic retard numbers thrown in. The stock codes has some stuff set to 0.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the info. This is going to give me some numbers to work with now. Now I just have to find this person you speak of and find out how much money he wants to do this.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
On the module you have 5 pins. These pins are labeled A, B, C, D, and E. Wire them into the computer as follows:

A = Not used on Fiero application
B = ECM B1 (power)
C = ECM B7 (knock input)
D = ECM A12 (ground)
E = Connect to Knock Sensor

Found that during a search, haven't hooked mine up yet though.

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
Is the 85 GT the only ECM that has knock sensor potential? I have an 85 SE with the V6, and was wondering if that ECM is the same?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank You Again, now all I got to do is figure out how to save this entire page and put it in my notbook of "things to do to my car"

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

Is the 85 GT the only ECM that has knock sensor potential? I have an 85 SE with the V6, and was wondering if that ECM is the same?

If you have an 85 V6 it should have ECM #1226869. That is the ONLY Fiero V6 ECM that can accept a knock sensor with a few modifcations. As TK indicated ,it is not a simple matter of just wiring the hardware. Changes in the software (chip program) need to be made as well. I believe that the standard setting for knock retard is .7* per loop but this number can be changed as desired. I am not abolutely sure that setting the flag for the knock sensor error code in the chip fully enables the ECM for self test mode of the knock input. but setting the feature flag for knock enable does seem to work. Since it was TK who put me on the right track in the first place, perhaps he can comment on this.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

If you have an 85 V6 it should have ECM #1226869. That is the ONLY Fiero V6 ECM that can accept a knock sensor with a few modifcations. As TK indicated ,it is not a simple matter of just wiring the hardware. Changes in the software (chip program) need to be made as well. I believe that the standard setting for knock retard is .7* per loop but this number can be changed as desired. I am not abolutely sure that setting the flag for the knock sensor error code in the chip fully enables the ECM for self test mode of the knock input. but setting the feature flag for knock enable does seem to work. Since it was TK who put me on the right track in the first place, perhaps he can comment on this.

Hi Dennis, it should. Why do you think it wouldn't? Do you mean that the MALF 43 parameters have to be set?

Terry

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-30-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
awesome. my 3.1 block has a knock sensor on it, but it's not hooked to anything. So from the sounds of this, I still need the ESC module, and to do some wiring. And of course, the PROM. Slowly getting ready for a turbo....
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Hi Dennis, it should. Why do you think it wouldn't? Do you mean that the MALF 43 parameters have to be set?

Terry

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-30-2003).]

As far as I can determine knock control is a measure of bit settings both in the prom and in the masked ROM. When you enable the feature flag for code 43 I'm not sure that this change alone enables the full knock functional test. The standard knock function test on GM C3 ECM's is usually done at about 194* coolant temperature and about 75% throttle opening. At this point the ECM deliberately advances the timing until a ping is detected. If no detonation is detected the code sets. The code will also set if the knock signal input drops low for more than 5 seconds with the engine running. To date, I have neither confimed or disproved whether or not the one single address change in the prom that sets the feature flag for the knock fault code will also enable the knock functional test. As a result my program only sets the knock feature flag, the knock retard per loop and the delay for knock recovery. Have you confirmed that the knock functional test works on the 85 ECM.

------------------

TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
In a C3? I think all it does is look for an error on the ESC line if the wire falls off. Hmmm. I know the P4's do that (test for ping) but I didn't think the C3's did.

Learn something new every day.

TK

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

In a C3? I think all it does is look for an error on the ESC line if the wire falls off. Hmmm. I know the P4's do that (test for ping) but I didn't think the C3's did.

Learn something new every day.

TK

Don't quote me on the knock function test for all C3 ECM's but I believe that this was the function test that GM designed to work with all ECM's using the external ESC module. I know that on later ECM's on Gen II 2.8L engines the knock input was fed direcctly into the ECM and code 43 was set if the voltage on the knock input went below 1.5V or above 3.5V for more than 1/2 second. It could be that on the -869 ECM the function tests simply monitors the knock input going low. Since I am not sure how the whole function test is programmed I have deliberately not set the code enable. I do set the knock enable though. What's been your experience with this?

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock