Another tire size question by Toogy
Started on: 04-03-2003 12:48 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: fiero F1 on 04-04-2003 11:09 PM
Toogy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
Getting some new tires for the GT. Thinking about getting the same size all around 215/60R15.

What would this look like? The other option is 205/60R15 and 215/60R15 like stock.

Anybody running Yokohama EVS 100's?

Thanks

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Voytek

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toogy:

Getting some new tires for the GT. Thinking about getting the same size all around 215/60R15.

What would this look like? The other option is 205/60R15 and 215/60R15 like stock.

Anybody running Yokohama EVS 100's?

Thanks

It would look not bad - that's what came in the 14" size for earlier year Fieros on the aluminum rims. Take a look at one of those and you'll know what the profile looks like.

In fact, this is exactly what came on the rear of all later model GT's.

I've had 225/50/15 all around and I think it looks more aggressive.

------------------

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post04-03-2003 01:54 PM   Send a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
Why go and settle for the cheap low performance tire, when you can have a higher performance tire for the same price?
For the most bang for the buck in grippy tires is as follows: (Max. grip for less $$$)
1. Falken Azenis Sport
2. Yoko AVS Intermediate
3. Kumho Ecsta 712
4. Kumho MX
5. Bridgestones KD
In grassroots mag, the Azenis was equal to the KD, but the KD is more expensive, these are the top grippy tires. With the Ecstra 712 coming in is a good third choice.
Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
Hey Fierocsp

Do you reply with that same canned response to every tire thread????

Half of those tires aren't even available in the sizes I want.

Thanks alot for the very useful post.

Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2003 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post
Basically anything that Yokohama makes is a very good tire. And looking at that list that was posted you should avoid numbers 3 and 4 like the plague.
fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post04-04-2003 08:12 AM   Send a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post
The tires that I listed are the top five tires for racing on track using street tires. They come in 15", 16", 17", 18", and now 19" sizes. That is all that you need to know. Forget about the width ratio. In the Falken I wanted a 225 series width tire in 16" and all they have is 215 series width. It is still a 16" tire period. The speedo may repeat may be off 2%. Check the tire specs. Every manufacturer has different height and width ratios for a given tire.
Discount tire is where I purchase all my tires. I special order these tires in advance to take advantage of their super low prices.
Toogy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToogySend a Private Message to ToogyDirect Link to This Post
Ok, smart guy.
These are the following 15" sizes available for the tires you mentioned.

1. 205/50R15
2. Yokohama doesn't even make an AVS intermediate anymore.
3. 195/45R15, 195/50R15, 195/55R15, 205/50R15, 205/55R15
4. 205/50R15
5. Never heard of a Bridgestone KD, either has the bridgestone website.

So basically NONE of those tires are in the sizes I WANT.

So again thanks for the USELESS information.

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased a set of new Sumitomo HTR 200's in stock sizes: 205/60/r15 front, 215/60/r15 rear. I really like the road handling and they got rave reviews on tirerack.com. I have yet to get a nice dry day to test these out on the twisties, but they are sticking pretty good in the wet and in normal driving. $269 on the car!! Can't shake a stick at that!

I had 225/50/r15s all around the car in Dunlop 8000's. They were really good for dry handling, but the going was EXTREMELY rough and there was absolutely no snow handling. The treadware on these tires sucked as well. IMHO, the 60's fill the wheelwell better with stock wheels. If I was to go with thinner tires in the future, I would also be going with aftermarket rims.

[This message has been edited by Xantavar (edited 04-04-2003).]

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post04-04-2003 01:29 PM   Send a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
The information is ALWAYS correct. Did you check Tirerack and Discount tire websites?
Look under the tire specs for the tire dimensions.
The falkens are always backordered. The AVS is in Az in there warehouse. You must call them and have them do a search of their inventory. You do not have to have the 60 width series in your mind. Look at the tire manufacturer spec. Mine Falken P215 8.2" width is the same P225 712's width Kumhos. And yes the KD is a tire. Look at Solo2 racing. Look at all the cars that were running the KD's. I only list the high performace tires that the majority people use at the track. The less grippy the tire, the less traction they will have.
Look up www.autocross.com and search their tire tech forum and you will see that there are some real hot tires out there that the majority people have never heard of.
Us 75,000 solo2 people could not be all wrong. Please look up SCCA and then decide what tire is right for you.
RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
The Yoko AVS Intermediates were replaced by the es100 I think. and they do make stock sizes if they are 205/60R15 95H and 215/60R15 94V. tirerack has them, they are $79 and $81 respectivly if I remember right. ( I only looked at them once.) In my research that is what I think will fit my budget with the best performance. I am getting TSW 16x7.5 rims and Yoko AVS ES100 205/55/16 and 225/50/16 on my car for 722.

------------------

85 GT 4 SPD
Number 53715 of 76371
Best 1/4 15.816 @ 84.72

Accel 8.8mm wires, Accel 300+ Ignition box, Blaster Coil, NGK UR5, K&N, Short Shifter, High flow cat, Monochrome Caracus red.

COMING SOON: KYB shocks and struts, ST lowering springs, Motegi M12 16X7 rims, Poly Dogbone, Ported exhuast manifolds, and YOKO AVS ES100 tires 205/55/16 front and 225/50/16 rear

Coulee Region Fieros member(couleefiero.tripod.com)

JCW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCWSend a Private Message to JCWDirect Link to This Post
KD's are made by BFG. Dunlop still makes the SP 8000 in 225-50-15 that I have on my 86 SE. I really like the sidewall stiffness of the 50 series. They may not be quite as sticky as some, but they feel great on turn-in.
PFF
System Bot
Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Regardless of which tire manufacturer you use, I recommend a smaller tire size in the front. My '88GT, which I bought a year ago, came with 215/60/15s all around, even though the front rims are 6" wide and the rear ones are 7". I recently installed a set of 205/60s in the front, and the handling has improved noticeably. Our Fieros have about 56% of the weight on the rear axle, and can benefit from some induced understeer. BTW, the substitution of 205s also reduced the front end ride height by about half an inch, which was another benefit.

I know that many Fiero models had the same rim width and tire size all around. But if we are talking here about changing tire sizes to improve handling, then I say just install wider rims and tires in the back only.
That's my $.02 worth.
...Rickker

Dan R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2003 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dan RClick Here to visit Dan R's HomePageSend a Private Message to Dan RDirect Link to This Post
Are Bridgeston Potenza tires any good?
fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post04-04-2003 09:39 PM   Send a Private Message to Dan RDirect Link to This Post
Ok everybody get out the back issue of "Grassroots Motorsports" magazine. November 2002 issue. "Race and Street Tire Test" Comparing all the hot rubber against each other and against the clock". Pages 70 - 86.
That will answer how the street tires compare against each other. Also in this feature list the tire sizes for each tire.
fierocsp.
fiero F1
No longer registered
Report this Post04-04-2003 11:09 PM   Send a Private Message to Dan RDirect Link to This Post
The Yokohama AVS intermediate was a fantastic tire but was discontinued more than a year ago. According to Yokohama CS they do not have a direct replacement. For the past 7 years I ran 225/45-15 front and 285/40-15 in the rear. With no more AVS available, I had to go to a 295/15 rear but could keep the 225/15 front sizes. The other option was a 17/18" wheel set with Bridgestone SO2 to maintain the needed rubber under my IMSA.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock