Started on: 03-22-2003 04:31 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Phil86SE on 03-22-2003 05:03 PM
Phil86SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
are there any tests i can run on these 2 sensors to make sure they are running correctly?
thanks

-Phil

------------------
Pontiac Firefly 87 1.0L
Pontiac Fiero 86 SE 2.8L
Buick Skyhawk 76 3.8L
GMC Jimmy 85 305
"It's not how fast you go, but how good you look goin"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil86SE:
are there any tests i can run on these 2 sensors to make sure they are running correctly?

The TPS is fairly easy - it's just a variable pot. Two contacts are the outter ring of the pot, center is the swiper. So if you go from inner to either outter leg (use an analog meter, it's easier to see dropouts) and swing the arm slowly through it's range, you'll see it either go from high to low, or vice versa depending on which outter you probe.

IAC is a bit harder - but all it is, is a stepper motor. Start probing contacts - you'll find two pairs that conduct. That'll at least tell you the coils in it are good.

Click on my site below, and follow through the links to find my number if you get in a bind. You didn't put a city... but hey, BC's not THAT big... hehehehe....

------------------
87/88 V6 5spd Notchback Hybrid

My page: http://www.fieroclub.com

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
IAC can be tested for resistance easy enough. That will at least tell you if a coil is open or badly shorted. (If only a few turns have shorted you can't alsways tell.)

Also, Test resistance from each coil to the shell. It should not show any thing on the meter. If it does a coil is shorting to the shell and the IAC needs replaced.

The rub is that coil resistance tests almost always pass on the IAC. The most common problems are dirt and wear inside the thing. Those will keep it from moving properly when the ECM needs it to.

You can try cleaning it out with some electronics parts cleaner. Harsh chemicals like carb cleaner can ruin it. (Eats the plastic parts and insulation.)

------------------
RIP Crew of Columbia. 01-Feb-03

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
is it supposed to go from hi to low or is it supposed to stay constant?

and im not sure if i have an analog meter out in the garage so would anything else work in place of it?
thanks again for all the help
-Phil

------------------
Pontiac Firefly 87 1.0L
Pontiac Fiero 86 SE 2.8L
Buick Skyhawk 76 3.8L
GMC Jimmy 85 305

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post

Phil86SE

1476 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by theogre:

IAC can be tested for resistance easy enough. That will at least tell you if a coil is open or badly shorted. (If only a few turns have shorted you can't alsways tell.)

Also, Test resistance from each coil to the shell. It should not show any thing on the meter. If it does a coil is shorting to the shell and the IAC needs replaced.

The rub is that coil resistance tests almost always pass on the IAC. The most common problems are dirt and wear inside the thing. Those will keep it from moving properly when the ECM needs it to.

You can try cleaning it out with some electronics parts cleaner. Harsh chemicals like carb cleaner can ruin it. (Eats the plastic parts and insulation.)

this may be a dumb question, but you gotta learn somewhere....so exactly how do you test for resistance? i take it you have the car running at this point and then what?

hope im not too much of a thorn in your side
thanks eh
-Phil

------------------
Pontiac Firefly 87 1.0L
Pontiac Fiero 86 SE 2.8L
Buick Skyhawk 76 3.8L
GMC Jimmy 85 305

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
NONONO you don't want the car running.

Pull the connector off the IAC. (DO NOT probe the harness connector!)

There are two terminals on the IAC for each coil. touch one terminal the try each of the others. Only one will give you a reading. If they all do then the IAC has a short.

then try the other pair of terminals together. They should read the same ohms or very close to it.

If the meter moves at all when you touch the shell and one of the terminals for each coil then that coil is shorted to the shell.

Again... IACs usually fail mechanically. It is pretty rare to have one die electrically.

On the TPS....

Again unplug the sensor and DO NOT probe the harness connector.

Use the center and either of the others. Doesn't matter which.

Move the TPS and watch the needle. You want to see the ohm change in a smooth movement over the whole range of throttle rotation. Depending which terminal you are on the number will start high and drop or low and go up. Test it both ways. you don't care so much what the numbers are. you want them to change smoothly.

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the help and the lesson
after i eat some grub i will head out and see what i can figure out...
i need to see if i can find something to measure resistance with first though

thanks though

-Phil

------------------
Pontiac Firefly 87 1.0L
Pontiac Fiero 86 SE 2.8L
Buick Skyhawk 76 3.8L
GMC Jimmy 85 305

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C