Started on: 12-02-2002 07:58 AM
Replies: 19
Last post by: tednelson83 on 03-28-2003 12:42 PM
tednelson83

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
this is a description of how i put the set of 6x9" speakers that i got from a '91 firebird in to my fiero's dash without cutting or modifying it in any way.(this takes some ingenuity, patience, and a little thinking)
list of supplies
2- 6x9" speakers (i got stock Pontiac ones from a junk yard cause I'm cheap)
2- strips of sheet metal approx. 2" by maybe 3"(i'm only guessing cause i didn't measure them.)
i first pulled the old speakers out by (a) prying off the covers with a screwdriver (do not put too much pressure in one place or you'll crack the dash); than (b) removing the 4 screws (7mm, i believe) securing the speaker in place, and finally (c) disconnecting it from the harness. this is the same for both sides.
then in the passenger side i brought the 6x9" up from the bottom so it was under the hole, and oriented it the same way as the old one. than after toying with other ways of securing it i decided on this one.(bear with me as i try to explain this. if you get lost, confused, or stuck don't hesitate to ask me questions) i pulled the side closest to me up to the top side of the dash where the old speaker mounted, than LOOSELY screwed that side down. the mounting holes are about 1/2" closer on the 6x9's so insert the screws diagonally, trust me they fit. next i had to fabricate a bracket to hold up the front side of the speaker cause it hangs under the dash. for that, i took a piece of sheet metal and made an "s" hook, that would grab the underside of the lip of the speaker and the upper side of the dash. then i tightened up the screws to make the thing tight.(but don't tighten them too tight or else the plastic things in the dash will start to lift out.) on the drivers side i had to push the speaker down through the top but otherwise every thing else is the same.
i then tried to put the covers back on and found that i had to push them down a little to seat them right. they have a very slight bulge on the rearward side due to the increased height of the 6x9's but its not bad. i wired the whole lot from under the dash. they are wired to the front channels of my 550 watt 3-channel Jensen amp which has a built-in crossover that i set to hi-pass. they sound great even at high volume with no distortion unlike the old ones. i also have a 10" sub in a box behind the passenger seat, and the headrest speakers are tied into my Jensen cd/tape/am/fm din and a half head unit. i am pleased with this set up but am open to comments or suggestions.
i hope I've explained this adequately if not drop me a line. also if you find some way that works differently or better let me know. i want to hear from you.
I'm also toying with the idea of installing the sub in the firewall behind the carpet, if you've done this tell me how and how it works.

------------------
thank you
1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4 SE
"Dark Angel"
tednelson83@aol.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i've developed a maybe undeserved prejudice toward oval speakers, but i do have an old but unused set of spark-o-matic (remember those?) 6x9's somewhere in storage that i plan to experiment with if i ever find them. i mean to try them as another dead pedal area pod though.
Blade_69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Blade_69Send a Private Message to Blade_69Direct Link to This Post
Everyone said it couldn't be done. I knew that eventually someone would think of a way to put 6x9s in there. Thanks for the information. I've always been the type to rig up something. If I come up with a better way to do it, I'll let you know.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I've had 6x9's in the dash of my Formula for the past few years. I love 'em. They are Boston Acoustics and will bounce the mirrors, enough for me.
ct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctDirect Link to This Post
Would these universal 4" x 10" to 6" x 9" speaker adapters (SA41069) from Scosche work without modifications?

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ct:

Would these universal 4" x 10" to 6" x 9" speaker adapters (SA41069) from Scosche work without modifications?

no, i dont think that there would be enough clearance down there.

------------------
thank you
"Dark Angel"
tednelson83@aol.com

Spektrum-87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Spektrum-87GTSend a Private Message to Spektrum-87GTDirect Link to This Post
a guy on here named fierosound has installed subwoofers in the firewall, he has pics of the install on his site... but i'm not sure of the url right now. just do a search for fierosound, i'm pretty sure he has the url in his sig.

------------------

liltobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2002 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeDirect Link to This Post
tednelson83, Ide be interested in seeing a pic of the 6x9's, i might try it. Heres a link for the sub in firewall: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023080.html
and https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/019876.html

------------------

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
+
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2003 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i just love the way these sound!!!

------------------
thank you
"Dark Angel"
tednelson83@aol.com

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
one last bump just in case any one missed it!
PFF
System Bot
86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a pair of memphis audio 6x9s in the dash, it took some grinding, mainly the AC passages because the magnets were so big. Ill post pics if anyone wants.

------------------
86 FIERO GT, puttin a N* and tons of other goodies. STAY TUNED

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post

86 FIERO GT

1134 posts
Member since Jul 2001
duuh double post

[This message has been edited by 86 FIERO GT (edited 03-27-2003).]

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-27-2003 06:14 PM   Send a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
It is a rather simple task. I got four 6" x 9" stuffed under there.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocsp:

It is a rather simple task. I got four 6" x 9" stuffed under there.

how the hell did you do that and make it look good?!?

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post

tednelson83

1993 posts
Member since Jul 2002

Originally posted by 86 FIERO GT:

I have a pair of memphis audio 6x9s in the dash, it took some grinding, mainly the AC passages because the magnets were so big. Ill post pics if anyone wants.

mine is done in such a way that if i ever, for some stupid reason, wanted to i could put the 4x 10's back in, and they would mount and look the same as they did when the car rolled out of the factory.
the nothing was cut, bent, pushed, grinded, or altared in ANY way!

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-28-2003 07:34 AM   Send a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
It was magic! All it takes is to remove the dash. Make special brackets for the two sets of speakers mounted in a bucking pattern, meaning back to back. Trim down the HVAC ducts because of the magnet motor structures. Drill new mounting holes in the dash, using the 4” x 10” speaker mounting ledge. Then assemble everything and then re-install the dash. Reinstall the dash was the hardest thing about the whole project. The magnets motor structure are laying against the HVAC ducts and the front firewall and the windshield. It took me about 4 hours just to get the dash back in. Here is the rest of my system.

4 – 6” x 9” speakers mounted in the dash, instead of the 4” x 10” speakers, 1 - 5 1/2” woofer-mid bass driver in the subwoofer box, 2 – 6” x 9” speakers in the pillar side areas instead of the usual 4” x 6” speakers

Carlc

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
User Banned

Report this Post03-28-2003 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarlcSend a Private Message to CarlcDirect Link to This Post
I put 6x9 Lanzars in dash - made brackets out of MDF, the Lanzars sound amazing - still got some vibration in grilles and alike i need to sort though.

Put pioneer 6x9 in pillar (again with MDF bracket) and they sound terrible. £50 a pair and the first pair i put a screwdriver through one of the cones - had to buy another pair, only to find out they sound crap!!! hard to find 6x9's that fit pillars though due to magnet size!!!

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
The chant starts...Pics, Pics, Pics, Pics!!!!

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2003 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
i currently have my 6x9's attached to the front outputs on my 550 watt 3 channel jensen amp. those speakers are on hi-pass crossovers. i have a 10" sub, in a truck beanch seat box, behind the passenger seat. the headrest speakers are connected to my jensen 1 1/2 din head unit under no x-over.
so the dash speakers are for hi sound, the headrest is for full range, and the sub is bass.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock