braided ground strap by ct
Started on: 01-04-2003 09:17 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: ct on 01-26-2003 04:39 PM
ct

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctDirect Link to This Post
While trying to find out why my decklid will not stay up in windy weather (Rear Compartment Torque Rod & Retaining Pin), I noticed a braided ground strap dangling between the engine and firewall. Where should this strap have been connected? I'm guessing under the hinge to body nut?? If so, does removing that nut entail any special procedures (given the torque rod being under tension)?

Can the strap be repaired (a new ring terminal crimped or soldered onto it), or do I need to get another strap (and if so, how difficult is it going to be to attach the new strap onto the engine--I'm not looking forward to that)? I posted some photos below. Thanks in advance.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
See your deck lid question.
Your ground strap is supposed to be on the lower bolt on your hinge.
You can actually see the electrical connector under the bolt.
Get a good ground. Take it from everyone with a Fiero that alot of wierd electical problems occur because of a bad ground.
jetman

Is that a bare copper colored wire coming out of your battery box or is that a reddish covering. Looks like the outer covering has worn away.
jetman

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 01-04-2003).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Install a new ground strap. You can get a new strap at almost any parts store. They usually cost less than $5.

Unless you show cars in a factory class... Route the new strap to someplace else solid and direct to the body. The factory used the hinge stud because it is convienent but it's not a very good spot for it electrically.

A good spot would be the side of the bracket the hinge is bolted to. Clean the mounting spot to bare metal before attaching the wire. To prevent corrosion, coat the area with dielectric grease. It's silicone and won't wash out easy.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i get a good braided replacement at autozone. about an inch wide but still flat like the old one. haven't brought one in a while but i think they're under $10.
FieroSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSoulSend a Private Message to FieroSoulDirect Link to This Post
Pep Boys carries several lenghts and widths. All under $10, like the man said.
TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
Any of you guys used stuff called Contax?
I had some left over from my house wiring days and it is supposed help with corrosion and may be conductive. I haven't seen it in a while but I still use it some.

------------------

DIY Leather Interior Available

Shipping weight..1200-1500 lbs.

300 styles to choose from, and Discounted Kits available.*

*Note: All Discounted Kits Must be shipped refrigerated

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
There are a number of things that could probably be used to protect the joint. GB, a brand of electrical supplies/tools common at many home stores, offers an anitoxidant grease that would probably work as well. The main thing is you want something that is hard to wash out. Silicon grease fit that bill. I'm not sure about the GB ot other stuff.
ct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctDirect Link to This Post
If I keep the ground as the factory had it (i.e., on the hinge stud), can I remove the hinge to body nut in order to replace the ground without having to follow any special procedure to accomodate the torque rod's tension since the top body nut will still be present?

Thanks.

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ct:

If I keep the ground as the factory had it (i.e., on the hinge stud), can I remove the hinge to body nut in order to replace the ground without having to follow any special procedure to accomodate the torque rod's tension since the top body nut will still be present?

Thanks.

I did not have a problem when I replaced my grounding strap on my car. I just got the lower body nut in place before driving it.
jetman

ct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2003 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctDirect Link to This Post
I finally got around to replacing the braided ground strap. The only one I could find locally was from Autozone, but it’s 14 inches long (the original is ~ 10 inches) and lies against the firewall insulation and the silver tape insulated wire harness. Is this going to cause problems? Also, while the original strap had essentially built-in star washers at each end, the replacement strap does not. Do I need to put star washers at each end?

Thanks in advance.

ct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2003 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctDirect Link to This Post
bump.
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
It would be a good idea to put star washers on, it is more likely to make good contact. You might even want to scrape where the eye connects to the hinge, they are usually cruddy from acid corosion. The length being a little oonger is no big deal.

Aaron

ct

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2003 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ctSend a Private Message to ctDirect Link to This Post
Mainly an FYI to show the replacement ground strap installed. It’s a LYNX 14 IN 4 GA Bonding Ground Strap (part number LCS14E)--$3.49 + tax from AutoZone. Trying to get the nut off the stud on the engine was a real pain--I used a 15mm socket. I think I used a 13mm socket on the hinge to body nut.

<edited to include part number>

[This message has been edited by ct (edited 02-03-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock