replacing the stereo and still use factory subwoofer by urge
Started on: 11-13-2002 10:04 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: MOBILE on 11-15-2002 09:08 AM
urge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urgeSend a Private Message to urgeDirect Link to This Post
It would be great if someone could tell me what wires feed the factory amp and sub so i can still use it with a replacement stereo with rc outputs.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The factory sub amp is a high level input, You cannot use RCA's to input the music. The input to the amp is hooked to the rear sail panel speakers. To use the amp and sub with an aftermarket stereo, you need to buy a relay. The relay is controlled by the remote line from the stereo and you need to switch +12VDC to the 2 pink wires going to the amp.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

88Ironduke

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88IrondukeSend a Private Message to 88IrondukeDirect Link to This Post
Help me out here.
I thought the amp signal came from the high level speaker output of the factory head unit, but the variable (the overhead slider)8 volt power supply is actuated to give high/low volume.
An aftermarket deck should work as advertised. The only real concern I can see is making sure power for the amp is turned on/off as required, by the head unit when not operating. IE: a relay or two. You're not changing the control power or signal(speaker input) to the amp. Just the batt/ign power (if it even has those power requirements).

Olivers Fiero Pages website offers great insite to the amp, but I can't make heads or tails of the schematic hes posted up.
I'm probably half wrong here, so please correct me.

88Ironduke

------------------
Pilots without maintenance are pedestrians with a cool jacket and sunglasses.
I.F.Y.A.M.Y.A.S

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2002 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
The amp signal does come from the high level speaker out, but it's hooked to the rear speaker lines. The slider above adjusts the gain of the amp. Much like the gain adjust on an aftermarket amp.
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Actually the subwoofer amp runs off ALL four speakers. This is why it plays no matter where the fader and balance is.

urge, the only difference in hooking up the aftermarket stereo is that the blue w/ white stripe wire is normally for turning on the amps. Unfortunately it is not enough power to turn on the fiero amp.

Everyone is suggesting to add relays and such. This is the correct way, but there is a much easier way that is just as good.

If you use a wiring harness adapter from an audio store, instead of hooking up the blue/white to the blue of the adapter, just hook up the blue over to the red wire. This will turn on the amp with the key, and is much easier than adding a relay if you do not understand them. DO NOT hook up the remote turn on(blue/white wire).

If your factory plugs are cut off, then you would hook up the pink wires to the yellow power wire that turns on and off with the key.

VERY EASY! PM me with any questions.

GOOD LUCK,
MOBILE

How do I know? This is all I do!

------------------
Member MN Fieros Forever 1986 GT. Self Installed SC3800/getrag almost everything performance wise is modified/upgraded, inside and out. Over 10 years in Car Audio and Car Electronics Experiance P.S. GOT 19"s??(all the way around)

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MOBILE:

Everyone is suggesting to add relays and such. This is the correct way, but there is a much easier way that is just as good.

If you use a wiring harness adapter from an audio store, instead of hooking up the blue/white to the blue of the adapter, just hook up the blue over to the red wire. This will turn on the amp with the key, and is much easier than adding a relay if you do not understand them. DO NOT hook up the remote turn on(blue/white wire).

Hooking the amp to the accessory power line will work, but is not recommended. It is always better to do it the correct way. Less chance of noise (distortion) and less chance
of blown fuses.

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Oreif, you have PM

MOBILE

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock