Chin spoiler by Earl
Started on: 09-30-2002 12:47 AM
Replies: 30
Last post by: Earl on 10-25-2002 04:34 PM
Earl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
Ok dose some one have any information on how to make a chin spoiler from an old areo nose?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl:
Ok dose some one have any information on how to make a chin spoiler from an old areo nose?

Contact Skitime or even MinnGreenGT(he talked directly to Ski)!! Skitime is the man though!! Ask anyone here!!

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com www.CFOG-International.org
20th Ann. Caravan Organizer for the Southern USA!!
Register here: http://hometown.aol.com/pontiacfiero20th/index.html

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
yeah ask skitime or MinnGreenGT. I've been talking with MinnGreenGT and he gave me alot of help. (i'm starting the same project for my fiero)

------------------
Red 86 SE 2.8

Feel free to rate me! :)

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I Guess I can help

I figured this would be one of the best ways to show what part of the original nose was used when someone else asked (the dark area is what is left to make the air dam):

Baiscally, I started out by cutting along the existing "trim" line separating the nose. I then used masking tape to mark the correct angle on both sides- then trimmed. Next, I cut the inside edge of the nose to about 2-3" all the way around (easier to work with then).

I used a RotoZip trimmer for all the cutting- then started with 80 grit sandpaper to get the edges all smoothed evenly. I have finished some sanding with 160 grit, but have not gone farther with the airdam as I have a bit more "tweaking" I'd like to do.

I attached mine (a 2nd or even 3rd pair of hands would've been helpful at this point) with srews (I used sheet metal screws with "finish" washers) spaced about 6-8 inches apart all the way around.

I do plan on going back and adding a few areas of additional support (my initial attempt at supports was greatly flawed and I ended up just completely removing them).

Any more questions... just ask and I'll see if I can make sense of it for you! (I asked Ski a ton of questions before I made any cuts at all).

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ill let you know what I come up with.

Martin

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
I kick myself everytime i see a thread like this cause i threw out an old damaged areo nose w/o thinking of the possibilities that could delevop from it.

live and learn i guess, cause next time i'll know better.

ps... did you guys leave your stock black air dam in place or remove it?

------------------

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Aura:
I kick myself everytime i see a thread like this cause i threw out an old damaged areo nose w/o thinking of the possibilities that could delevop from it.

live and learn i guess, cause next time i'll know better.

ps... did you guys leave your stock black air dam in place or remove it?

Gee, I don't know how I missed this thread. Never throw out GT noses. I also used a messed up rear bumper to create the light pockets. The light pockets were rear reflector pockets from a GT rear bumper. The black air dam is still in place and very fuctional.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 Supercharged
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
And hear is the first fitup of my spoiler.
Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post

Earl

945 posts
Member since Oct 2001
Ok Ill try again
Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post

Earl

945 posts
Member since Oct 2001
and
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
if y'all don't stop showing those i'm gonna mess up a good bumper making me one.

------------------
Phil T.

start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.

PFF
System Bot
soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
as soon as I can figure out how to fix the damage in the corner of my fascia I will be trying this. I think I am going to put the turn signals down on the spoiler, and the fog lights where the signals are however. My foglights are more than bright enough to use as normal driving lights, so I want them up higher. Pretty illegal, but I live in a small town.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:
as soon as I can figure out how to fix the damage in the corner of my fascia I will be trying this...

What kind of damage does it have? Cracks, scrapes, gouges, or pieces missing? Maybe we can suggest a helpful fix.

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
wow this is a realy great post . i have been wanting a spoiler and dont want to pay a ton of money for a fiberglass one that i will probably break the first time i come into my driveway. great job to who ever came up with the idea. lol looks like i have a new project

------------------
go fast or go home
or just drive it like you stole it

email cwandall@yahoo.com

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
I like this thread....

I got my front end, time to ruin it

Cozmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2002 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CozmoSend a Private Message to CozmoDirect Link to This Post
Funny this comes up again now... Just as I'm getting ready to attempt it.
This looks like the best way to go for a number of reasons:
1) Flexibility... not stiff like 'glass.
2) It fits! curved like the original (duh- it IS the original...)
3) Light... if you trim right, it doesn't add much weight at all.
4) (kinda) cheap... if you have access to a damaged aero nose, it can be close to free.

Coupla Q's tho...
How do you bond the "running light" pods from an old bumper to the new chin spoiler?
Is it smart to reinforce the original nose mounting brackets? Even tho the new addition doesn't weigh that much, by the time you add running lights it does start to add some poundage. Plus, the original support system was marginal at best...
Also, how about "smoothing" the resulting seam? Any ideas?
BobC

fiero77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2002 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero77Send a Private Message to fiero77Direct Link to This Post
After looking at Skitime's car for a while I think if you smoothed in the chin spoiler it would not look as good. I like the way the lines work with the side skirt lines. Even on Minngreens I get the same feeling. Oh and I dream of having a Fiero that looks as good as Skitimes.
Racer_JT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2002 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racer_JTSend a Private Message to Racer_JTDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried doing something like this to the rear for a though the bumper look.

I was thinking of trying it this week to see if it is feasible.

I'll post pics as I take them

LYK,

------------------
Jesse Thomas
racer_jt@playhomes.net
1986 GT Auto 100k

We build Custom Playhomes

www.playhomes.net

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2002 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cozmo:

Also, how about "smoothing" the resulting seam? Any ideas?
BobC

Bob,
If you look at my sig, you can see how it look's "SMOOTHED"! I did this same thing except, I glassed mine ine to eliminate the seam!, My puter crashed, So I lost bigger pic's of my front fascia. Anyone have any of my fascia??

Smooth!!

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com
Have you RATED me today??

lawrence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2002 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lawrenceClick Here to visit lawrence's HomePageSend a Private Message to lawrenceDirect Link to This Post
I did mine back in '98. Here is a small write-up of how I did it:
http://www.webelectricmagazine.com/99/1/tte.htm

Go to the section on "The Car".

I really liked the way it turned out, and it only took me a weekend to do.

Good luck!

-L
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2002 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
Here is one..

Smooth!!

PFF
System Bot
Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2002 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
What is best glue to bond the to together I guess I can use fiber filler to fill the seam if I decide to later. I am mounting mine permanentlynext week.
Pics to follow
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lawrence:
I did mine back in '98.

I just want to add credit to Lawerance. I saw a pic his spoiler and loved it. I got in contact with him and built mine so when people say a "Skitime spoiler" it really is a Lawrence spoiler.

fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
I'm still looking for a front fascia to make a chin spoiler with, so if you know someplace i can get one PM me please.

------------------
Red 86 SE 2.8

Feel free to rate me! :)

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:
I just want to add credit to Lawerance. I saw a pic his spoiler and loved it. I got in contact with him and built mine so when people say a "Skitime spoiler" it really is a Lawrence spoiler.

This is definitely true... I use the term "skitime-style" simply because everyone knows who you/he his! I guess we could call it the "Mazza-style air dam" (is that spelled right?)

I did have the opportunity to see the "original" this past year at the FOCOA nationals in Osage Beach MO. And the current owner of Lawrence's original car is still very happy with his investment!

A big Thank You to Lawrence for coming up with this in the first place!

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-25-2002).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl:
What is best glue to bond the to together I guess I can use fiber filler to fill the seam if I decide to later. I am mounting mine permanentlynext week.
Pics to follow

there's this stuff called 3m auto mix that's made to do it. it's bumper epoxy more or less. auto zone sells a version of it that's about half the price. so far i haven't been able to tell a difference bettween the two. it pretty much flexes with the facia and takes what ever punishment the facia takes without delaminating or cracking.

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:
there's this stuff called 3m auto mix that's made to do it. it's bumper epoxy more or less. auto zone sells a version of it that's about half the price. so far i haven't been able to tell a difference bettween the two. it pretty much flexes with the facia and takes what ever punishment the facia takes without delaminating or cracking.

Yep- I bought a couple of kits from the local auto store. They were simply marked as "flexible bumper repair kits" and are a cool 2-part system. One of the keys is to make sure you've removed all the old paint before applying the stuff. You can also use this to "smooth in" the seam if you like. Once complete it will keep it's flexability- and will smooth perfectly with the surrounding matierals.

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
I want to do this real bad !!!

Anyone in the Sacramento, Ca area have an old fascia they want to part with ?

lawrence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lawrenceClick Here to visit lawrence's HomePageSend a Private Message to lawrenceDirect Link to This Post
To Skitime and MinnGreen, I didn't post to induce you to give credit (but thanks!), I just wanted to refer to the info I had published in my magazine.

Earl, as far as adhesives, if you just want to stick it up there (not for body work, just attachment) I'll bet that Liquid Nails would do a great job. Use the Construction grade, not the Project grade. I installed a deck on my house this year, and used it to stick some of the wood to the contrete patio. Actually, I used OPG stuff, but I think it's the same thing. The only bad thing is that it takes 24 hours to set up, and at least 48 hours to cure. But one thing for sure, once it's on, it will NEVER come off.

I'm curious, though, why would you want to glue it on?

-L
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lawrence:
To Skitime and MinnGreen, I didn't post to induce you to give credit (but thanks!), I just wanted to refer to the info I had published in my magazine.

Never gave it that kind of thought (induced credit )... rather you tend to be a "quieter" PFF member- many of the new guys may have never heard of you. And you do deserve the recognition And if you're interested in sequential turn signals... ask Lawrence about them too

As for using liquid nails... a pretty good portion of my basement remodel was done using the stuff- it holds like nothing else!

The only reason I could see for permanantly attaching it would be if you were going to "blend" it in... otherwise the removability is quite handy- especially if you ever incur damage (it took me less than 5 minutes to take mine back off for some more modifications).

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 10-25-2002).]

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
I do plan on smothing it but the main thing is to keep the seam as tight as possible the facia I used was verry warped and I didnt want to put 500 screws in it to make a tight joint so I will glue it and screw it and then clamp the spotts I have to I will smoth it later.Thanks for the info!!

Martin

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock