Started on: 09-24-2002 10:35 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: ltlfrari on 09-25-2002 07:31 AM
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2002 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Ok might as well get it all over with. While replacing valve seals and exhaust manifolds with Sprint Headers I discovered my AC compressor is seized. So I plan on putting a good used compressor on that appears to be a DA6 as there is no oil drain on the body. At this point it makes sense to convert to 134 and change seals, fittings,etc and flush oil from system. I recall reading a thread that mentioned flushing the lines and condensor with alcohol and compressed air to remove all of the old oil. Can anyone set me in the right direction.

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2002 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierDirect Link to This Post
you might try the Ogre's Cave....or this link: <HTML><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/fierowarehouse/134aconversion.html">Fiero Warehouse 134a conversion</A> </HTML>
ElectricFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2002 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectricFieroClick Here to visit ElectricFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectricFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Murphy:
..At this point it makes sense to convert to 134 and change seals, fittings,etc and flush oil from system.

Thanks

While you have the compressor off, (don't ever flush the compressor), flush all the lines, the evaporator and condensor. Checker/Auto Zone and the likes have a solution to flush with. I have heard of using alcohol, but I use the flush because I KNOW it does what it's supposed to do. Replace the accumulator/dryer all the o-rings and if the compressor sent shrapnel through the system, replace the orfice tube. The accumulator/dryer for the V6 is about $30 and the orfice tube is about $4. You are trying to get the R12 oil out of the system along with any debris. R12 oil is mineral oil and is not compatible with R134 or Ester oil, which is synthetic.

Good luck and keep us posted,

ElectricFiero

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2002 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
FLushing fluid is like $11 a quart, mineral spirits is $3.50 a gallon from home depot. I used over two gallons recently flushing the system (again). You do the math !!

I understand that the DA6 compressor is not suitable for the 134 conversion due to the higher system pressure needed when running with 134. The HR6 (I think that's the number) is ok.

Flush everything 'cept accum and compressor which you should replace. Replace orrifice tube, options are standard one at $2 or a variable orifice tube, so called 'smart' orrifice (smart ass!!) at $26, expensive but it does work better with the 134. I had one in till I cooked the compressor again due to inadequate flushing.
Flush again, both ways if possible.
Replace the O rings at the joints with ones suitable for 134, the original ones are not really up to the job. O rings are usually supplied in conversion kits.
Change the hi/lo pressure fittings to 134 type fittings. You''ll need a special tool to get the high side schraeder valve out. got mine from advance autoiparts for $2.
Flush again (did I mention you need to flush it out really well!!!).
I used a flushing bottle. Fill the bottle, pressurize, insert nozzle into pipe, flush, repeat.
Blow (preferably) dry air through the system. Some people use nitrogen (nice if you have it).

Load system with oil, Use Ester which is compatible with any of the original mineral oil that may be left, PAG is not. It takes 8 oz of oil, put 4 in the accum and evap/condensor. Put rest in compressor and pipes.
you may want to charge the compressor with oil before you install it on the car is it is pretty much impossible to do one it is in place.
Connect pipes. The fitting on the back of the compressor is little more than finger tight. 3 ft lbs !!!. do not overtighten or it will leak.
Turn over compressor by hand to get the oil you put in it to lubricate the inside and outa the way (liquids don't compress too well).
Pull a vacuum on it for a few hours. This serves two purposes, check for leaks (if pressure goes up it leaks) and causes any water to boil off. Water in the system will freeze and block the system, hello failed compressor, so you gotta get it out.
I used a venturi type vac pump. worked well.

Now charge the system. Fill to about 85% of the charge required for R12. This means about 28 oz of 134 or two 14 oz bottles for the mathematically challenged!!
First you gotta get some 134 into the system, connect bottle to lo side, it should take most of a bottle due to the vacuum in there. You can force more in by warming the 134 can in a bucket of hot water.
Once you have some 134 in there you can run the engine, turn the ac on max and it should cycle the ac cluch and pull the pressure down on the low side, Once the lo side pressure drops it will take another can or so of 134.

Once it is all done it should not cycle too quickly. You can adjust the switch on the accum 1/8 turn counter clockwise (I think) to drop the low side pressure from 26 (for R12) to about 22 PSI for 134. It should then cycle between 22 and 46 PSI on the load side.
Hi side pressure depends on ambient temperature.

Check the static pressure after a couple of days, if it drops, you may have a leak in which case it is leak detector time.

Plenty of info in the forum and in the Ogre's cave.

Take a look at my web site as well.

Dave http://www.ltlfrari.com

Mike Murphy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2002 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Dave:

I have a remanufactured compressor and the 87 manual states that the variable type have a drain plug to remove oil on the body of the unit. Mine has no such plug so I am only assuming it's a Da6 as I know of no other way to identify the type. If this is the case then R12 is about my only route unless I get variable compressor correct?

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Not sure. The above is only based on my experience of doing my own retrofit. My original DA6 compressor does not have a drain plug, neither does the reman HR6 I got. However the reman HR6 does not have the high pressur cuttout switch or fan switch on the back like the orig DA6 does if that helps any.
Or by variable type is it refering to a V5 compressor which is different entirely.

Dave http://www.ltlfrari.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock