Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  HEADLAMP MOTOR GENIUS' needed badly......HELP!!!!

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

HEADLAMP MOTOR GENIUS' needed badly......HELP!!!! by GTDude
Started on: 08-03-2002 03:47 PM
Replies: 21
Last post by: GTDude on 08-10-2002 07:05 AM
GTDude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I don't know what else to try. 86 GT 4spd, RH HL door operates fine....LH was slow and would stick at times.

I tried Rodney's rebuild kit.....no prob...very easy. Now the motor works part time and in reverse.......pulled it back down.....redid everything....same outcome. Tried it on another motor......same thing. Thinking wiring problem so I switched the entire assm from the RH side. It works perfectly.

Someone please give me a clue! I know alot about electronics but this has me baffled!
BTW I've tried two diff new brush assm's in it too.

Been working on this on and off for 3 days!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
I am by no means a expert but could it be an actuator?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
The right side works ok...

You lost me on the moving things part....

did you connected the left assembly to the right harness?

or

did you put the right assembly on the left harness?

If you put the right side motor on the left harness... then the left motors are binding. Try light oil in all the shaft bearings. On the motor shaft, just oil the two bearings in the gear case.

Keep in mind, the module is current sensing. The motors are right near tripping the current sensor durring normal operation. If they bind even a little then they will trip as soon as activated.

One thing that may help, back probe the motor connectors and connect a DVM.

Also try running them up 1 turn by hand before hitting the HL switch. That will unload the motor a bit. If that works then the motors are definatly binding.

IF you put the left motor on the right harness, and it works, then the control module is probably getting crappy.
------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-03-2002).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
I took the entire assembly from the rh side and connected it to the lh side and it worked great. This is an 86 remember. It is so weird that it happens with two motors!

If I hook everything up....sometime the rh will go up and the lh goes down on hl actuation then when I turn it off, the lh comes up and the rh side goes down......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

This totally makes no sense to me at all considering that the voltages are all correct!

One more thing.......even with the HL switch off....the prob motor will click and twitch......hope this helps some.

Phil

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 08-03-2002).]

rabid-wombat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rabid-wombatClick Here to visit rabid-wombat's HomePageSend a Private Message to rabid-wombatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:
I took the entire assembly from the rh side and connected it to the lh side and it worked great. This is an 86 remember. It is so weird that it happens with two motors!

If I hook everything up....sometime the rh will go up and the lh goes down on hl actuation then when I turn it off, the lh comes up and the rh side goes down......ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

This totally makes no sense to me at all considering that the voltages are all correct!

One more thing.......even with the HL switch off....the prob motor will click and twitch......hope this helps some.

Phil

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 08-03-2002).]

You know far more than I but it sounds like a relay could be grounding. If there is a way to isolate both sides (outside their mounts) and the controler as well you may find the problem disappears. If that works just troubleshoot the grounded component. My .01 worth...

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
that sounds like a torque switch not locking up like it should. The older motors need to bind up a certain amount or they back off the switch and twitch. This is common with anything using machanical torque to shut off.

In other words.... the rebuilt motor may be too well greased....

running backward... either the brushes are wired in reverse or the magnets have been flipped.

I tell you.... If I ever get another Fiero, and its got those stinking Gen 1 lights, ripping them out will be my first project.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-03-2002).]

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
I've had the same problem--Take the L/H motor out, open up the housing and rotate the magnet 180 degrees around the motor shaft. Don't pull the magnet off of the shaft, just rotate it and put everything back together. It should work now.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT :)

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
What Rod said...I had the exact same problem and a 180* twist of the magnet was all it took to fix it.
85 gt fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2002 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 gt fieroSend a Private Message to 85 gt fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
What Rod said...I had the exact same problem and a 180* twist of the magnet was all it took to fix it.

Exactly, just what i had to do on my old 86 gt, its easy just dont remove the magnet.

Randy

GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2002 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
what all of you say makes perfect sense for an 87 and up car.....not an 86. The brush and housing assm won't fit in but one way on this motor which makes it impossible to turn the magnets. Think people.....We gotta figure this out. Thanks

Phil

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 08-04-2002).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2002 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:
what all of you say makes perfect sense for an 87 and up car.....not an 86. The brush and housing assm won't fit in but one way on this motor which makes it impossible to turn the magnets. Think people.....We gotta figure this out. Thanks

Phil

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 08-04-2002).]

Uh-uh. Never had anything but '85s and '86s so I've never dealt with the newer style headlight motors. I just (within the past few months) dealt with my drivers side motor on my '86GT (early style). The magnets can go in either way. Trust me. I ****ed with it for a week or so until somebody else suggested I turn the magnet around. Voila! Success.

PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2002 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks ALOT ALOT ALOT GUYZ........gonna try rotating the magnets this morning and I'll let you know what happens. What ya say makes perfect sense, just sounds weird for 2 motors to do that.

Phil

------------------
GTDude

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2002 06:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Phil , how did you make out with rotating the magnets on the headlight motors ?

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club

Butter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 91
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2002 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ButterSend a Private Message to ButterDirect Link to This Post
On my 84 I had problems with my LH. After I ordered the brushes from Rodney I had to piece together the left motor with some spare parts. After I got it back together it worked backwards. You know left up right down and vv. I thought I may have installed the magnets backards but I didn't won't to tear back into the motor so I unkeyed the plug to the first relay off the motor and keyed it backwards also. Now they both go up and down at the same time. Who says two wrongs don't make a right! Well it worked this time anyway. Yeah I know this ain't proper but it works with the least amount of hassle at that point. Just have to remember if I have to replace that side I must rekey the plug properly.
Oldmike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldmikeSend a Private Message to OldmikeDirect Link to This Post
Don't forget to check the alignment of the whole headlight frame. I installed mine without bothering to check that it was in the same place as when I had removed it. I had symptoms much like yours until I aligned it properly. Sometimes we over look the simple stuff. LOL
GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2002 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Gonna rotate the magnets this morning and see what happens.....makes good sense to me...however.....I didn't move them....so why should they need rotating? Anyway...will let you know later today.

Phil

------------------
GTDude

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2002 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
So , what happened ?

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club

Avionics86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Avionics86Direct Link to This Post
My 86GT did the same thing. I replaced both headlight motors and it worked find for about a week and then it started acting up again. I lived with the problem, tapping on the top of the motor so it would go up or down. While driving at night my headlights went out. By pushing on the headlight switch the headlights would come back on. Ordered a new headlight switch from the Fiero store and both problems were fixed. Good luck
Avionics86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Avionics86Direct Link to This Post

Avionics86

18 posts
Member since Aug 2002
One more thing-Think current not voltage. Does anyone if you try turning on a headlight motor without it being mounted in the assembly can you damage the motor.
atarian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for atarianClick Here to visit atarian's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
my rh headlight does that often. I found out that when i have the engine running it opens and closes better. my only guess is the way the electrical current flows.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2002 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Gonna rotate the magnets this morning and see what happens...will let you know later today.Phil

Uhh, which "this morning" and which "today"?

PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2002 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
SORRY GUYZ !!!!! LOL You were right! Rotating the magnets did the trick. I could not have been more skeptical....and wrong.

Been busy buying Fieros and having trans problems. Will start a new post on that.

Thanks for your replies so very much!

Phil

------------------
GTDude

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay