Started on: 07-15-2002 07:30 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: Voytek on 07-16-2002 05:16 PM
DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2002 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
Besides being sure it's FWD iron head, what do I need? I need a bottom end soon and cheap, will the 2.8 flywheel not work? Anyone got this swap documented in detail. Not looking for a power increase or any radical mods, just want to get the 86SE back on the road to turn my attention to the 88. Checked the cave but didn't find anything and what I found in the archive was kinda vauge. Car is an 86SE 2.8 4spd, don't think it's the original trans, will be getting the casting numbers off it and researching that when I pull the cradle for the swap. Guy I bought it from swears it's the 4:10 gear and that the clutch was replaced when the new trans was installed.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2002 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
for the 3.1L you will need the neutrally balanced flywheel from a 1993-1995 camaro, or probably one from a 1988-1994 v6 5 speed cavalier beretta or corsica will work, however why would you do a 3.1? go 3.4L its much more effective in the long run, i like a dummy did the 3.1L and wasnt impressed at all, and i still have all kinds of problems. just go find a low milage 3.4L and swap it right in, just drill the starter holes, put on the fiero's intake system and be done with it! oh and hte extra 30HP will really kick you in the pants.

matthew

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2002 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
I thought the 3.1 was the most straight forward swap? Are you saying the 3.4 is easier, is there still a flywheel issue with the 3.4 or is it a straight bolt up less the starter issue? I'm not looking for more power, just ease of installation. I want the car on the road to tweak the suspension/brake mods before going to a permanant engine solution. Maybe I should just look for a used 2.8 FWD but they seem to be harder to find as opposed to the 3.1 and 3.4.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2002 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 is just about as easy as a 3.1 swap. Move the starter for the 3.4.
Voytek

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2002 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VoytekSend a Private Message to VoytekDirect Link to This Post
They're both easy, except with the 3.4 you need to drill new starter holes. The thing with 3.4 is, the difference doesn't seem that huge (to me, anyway). You can MAKE it huge if you make it breathe better, change headers, fuel reg., etc. etc.

I had my 2.8 rebuilt into a 3.1 - bored and stroked. Sure, I have headers and performance cam but it runs about as good as a bone stock 3.4.

To answer your question, the 3.1 (iron head) IS the easiest upgrade, i.e. nothing needs to be modified except for the neutrally balanced flywheel. The 3.4 is probably the second easiest.

One last thing. There are more GM cars which use the same neutrally balanced flywheel. I got mine out of a '98 (couldn't tell you which car because I don't remember) and it was like new for fraction of the cost.

That's about the only change you need to make.

Good luck.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock