Rear tie rod end by dcaprio
Started on: 04-30-2002 06:46 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: FieroV6Dude on 06-06-2002 08:19 AM
dcaprio

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2002 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
I just had my car at the alignment shop and I was told I needed a rear inside tie rod. I ordered it today and should have it by the weekend. Can someone tell me about how long does it take to change one?

------------------
84 coup 117000 miles
86 Gt Fastback conversion

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2002 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
shouldnt take too long. just measure length before you take out old one out. then loosen jam nut on outer end. remove nut on inside. then unscrew inner from outer. reverse process for instalation,
Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2002 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of tie rods, I was thinking of "upgrading" mine to something stronger. They seem awfully weak. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket tie rods out there that are stronger than the oem pieces? If so, where can I find them? Thanks.

Farknocker

dcaprio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2002 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dcaprioSend a Private Message to dcaprioDirect Link to This Post
I ordered mine from the Fier store for $60.00, the local Pontiac dealer wanted $110.00.

------------------
84 coup 117000 miles
86 Gt Fastback conversion

terryk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2002 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for terrykSend a Private Message to terrykDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Farknocker:
Speaking of tie rods, I was thinking of "upgrading" mine to something stronger. They seem awfully weak. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket tie rods out there that are stronger than the oem pieces? If so, where can I find them? Thanks.

Farknocker

If you bend one of those rear tierod's, you've got other problems that are far bigger.

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2002 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by terryk:
If you bend one of those rear tierod's, you've got other problems that are far bigger.

I don't have any problems yet. Just want to avoid 'em in the future. With the torque of a V8, you can never be too safe.

Farknocker

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2002 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
You would have to twist the lower control arm off to bend that rod. All excessive torque will do is bust axles and CV joints, anyway.

------------------
"Its a Fiero thing... Heck, even I don't understand!"

Timothy E. Smith
1986 SE V6 BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN!!!!
1984 Coupe
1996 Ford Probe GT
1999 Chevrolet Silverado Z71
1975 Chevrolet ElCamino SS

Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2002 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mr. Farknocker:

They're strong enough. I'm still running stock pieces on my rally car. On the left side the inboard tie rod mount ripped out of the cradle. The tie rod was fine.

If you want to upgrade to something cooler, go for it. If you're seriously concerned about their strength, don't be. They're stronger than what they're attached to.

------------------
Doug Chase
Duvall, WA
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (daily driver)
'85 Fiero GT 4-spd (rally car)
'86 Fiero GT 5-spd (organ doner for rally car)
'86 Fiero GT 4-spd (fixer-upper, 4 sale soon)

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2002 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
Im running 1991 chevy lumina front tie rod ends on the rear of my car. $20 at autozone, and all you need to make them work is a 1/2" spacer on top of the castle nut to make it seat fully. Ive got over 10k miles on it now, and no probs.

------------------

http://www.fieroX.com

f#@k the naysayers, cause they dont mean a thing...

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2002 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
If you want to upgrade them and also cure the bump steer problem at the same time, it's not cheap but a well recommended upgrade.
http://heldmotorsports.com/bump.htm

Probably well worthwhile with a V8.

------------------
Plastic's Fantastic...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock